How to start a band...

Born to Lose

Reaction score
Me and a few friends of mine are planning to start jamming together come the summer. So far we have:

Me, rhythm guitar (almost two years by then)
friend, also rhythm guitar/possible vocalist (a year by then)
friend, bass guitar (new, but lots of prior experience with violin)
friend, drummer (years of experience)
All of us are potential lyricists.

I'm into mostly "grunge" and punk rock, plus a bit of classic rock, psychedelic rock, folk rock and a bit of heavy metal, and most of my friends are more into neo-post-hardcore and crap like that, with a bit of old school punk and classic rock mixed in. But I'm not so worried about the clash of interests as the fact that starting jamming seems tough. My friend said that jamming with friends normally goes something like... you set up your instruments and then all look at eachother wondering what to do next. But jamming with my friends is something I have been looking foreward to since before I could even play guitar, and it's a major goal, something I'm really looking foreward to, and I have a few riffs and progressions thrown together that I intend to use.

Any advice?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Make some vids...upload them to youtube.......and share!!!

That is the best way to get feedback (postitive & negative). :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
You're never gonna get the influences to line up evenly. Best thing to do is combine all the influences the best you can and make a new sound :grinthumb

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
Good luck on your endeavor. We did a lot of "jamming" in the early and mid seventies and sometimes it went well and other times it didn't.
Even if it's just casual jamming in the beginning there still has to be a certain amount of commitment. Everyone has to try to make every session because it's frustrating if only two guys show up because one guy had to work late and another had to take his girlfriend to the movies.
Sounds like you have an experienced drummer so he and the bass player need to work together because a solid rhythm section is very important.
Try to put together a basic list of songs (or even chord patterns) so that you always have something to go to. This will eliminate some of the standing around and staring at each other.
In the beginning it doesn't matter what type of music you play. Start with stuff you are all familiar with and concentrate on learning to play together. If someone makes a mistake just keep playing. This will be important later on if you become a working band and start doing local gigs.
You have two rhythm guitarists so one of you should consider working on some basic lead riffs. Since your friend is a possible vocalist maybe you should be the one to work toward being lead guitarist.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
That's what I am hoping. Unfortunately I havent been able to not sound like turds dropping across guitar strings when playing anything but chords and powerchords.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think starting a band is the same as any team sport...eventually someone takes charge and becomes the leader either by intent or evolution. Not being a musician I have no real advice except to try playing some cover songs, each of you pick one each and mess around with it. After you get comfortable with each other then work on your own material.

I'd much rather see you turn out as a hard rock/heavy metal/prog band than a punk or grunge outfit.

Good luck to all of you.:hab:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Enjoy yourself and play anything. Who cares what it sounds like? Seriously, some people are too fussy. I've still got a tape I made with friends when we were 17 (a BASF chrome dioxide). It was original 'rubbish' without vocals and I think they were embarassed by it, so they played in other bands, covering Child in Time and Stealin'. I would rather have done my rubbish than someone else's quality. Having said this, my friends were much better musicians than me and kicked me out in the end.

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
That's what I am hoping. Unfortunately I havent been able to not sound like turds dropping across guitar strings when playing anything but chords and powerchords.

Don't force yourself to try and become a kind of player that you don't have the aptitude, or maybe even interest, to become. Pete Townsend has done quite well for himself playing little or no lead guitar. If riffs and leads aren't your thing it's perfectly OK to concentrate on rhythm guitar skills.

runtfan

Reaction score
Some more advice - when you get together, have a plan. If you are gonna play some covers, decide BEFORE you get together, on some tunes for everyone to learn. Don't get together and just expect for sparks to start flying and the magic to start happening - usually it won't. I promise you that things will go better if you guys get a plan together beforehand. If you plan to write songs it'll be primarily up to you guitarists to at least get the ball rolling...get some ideas together. And also if you plan to write your own songs it's gonna be your playing skills ( individually and collectively) more than your listening tastes that determine what kind of band you become and what kind of songs you have. Well, actually whether you write your own songs OR play cover tunes, it's your individual and collective abilities ( NOT your ambitions) that will determine what your music turns out to be. Play to your strengths.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online