How Long is 'Too Long' for a 'Classic' Rock Song

colin98

Banned
Reaction score
We're about to change our stations format to have the 'Top 1000' Classic Rock Tracks as it's 'hub', but this change has thrown up a query.

When we play songs in excess of seven minutes, say the 'Child In Time' by Deep Purple 10mins 10secs or 'The End' by The Doors, 11mins 34secs our audience figures drop as listeners move on.

So here's the question, if we move to the top 1000 formula more of these 'long' classic tracks will fall into the playlists, just how long would you listen to a track before moving onto another station?

We can then put a ceiling on track length, to maximise both the best music and audience levels.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well even if it's a song that I don't like, I'll listen for like 7 minutes before moving on...

But I deplore classic rock stations who don't play things like The End and Child In Time because of their length. Those are some the GREATEST classic rock songs.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
Depends on the song. If I like it, it doesn't matter how long it is. I know I have listened to Do You Feel Like We Do at least 3 times in full on the radio. I doubt Whipping Post off of Fillemore East would be good though, that is a bit too lengthy (though Winamp says it is my most played song). I think what some people get annoyed with is the jam parts, I know I don't like to listen to Layla if I tune in after the music stops, I like to experience the full song.

What really annoys me is not length, but variety. One of the stations around here seems to be playing the same 20 songs over and over. Most of that is Motown. Just as long as the same songs don't get too much play, I think length wouldn't matter much.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, you're asking those of us who are more than just the average radio listener so I wouldn't take what we say to be indicative of your average audience.

Seriously, the general public who likes music but isn't into on the level most people here are, like hits, like 'em short and sweet and familiar. Why do you think that despite all the bitching we do, radio stations keep their formats repetitive and familiar? The same old crap over and over again is what generally sells.

If you're going for quality music and numbers that might be a difficult goal. You're looking for numbers you gotta dumb it down. Seriously. The most successful stations I worked for played the same crap over and over again and got the best numbers and made the most money. I don't think much has changed. Trust me, if it (the same old tired crap) didn't make money, you'd have more diversity on the public airwaves.

colin98

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the Feedback, We used to play some of the longer tracks like Time Was by Wishbone Ash, 9:40 or Won't Get Fooled Again, just over 8 minutes, but we could see that we had a greater listener drop when a song was over 7 minutes so we put a 'cap' on selection.

We are going to move to the 1000 Classic Rock Tracks but even though you and I may listen to a 10 minute tracks the average listener doesn't appear to want that.

Fear not though we're considering putting together some special shows featuring the 'great works' of an artist, that should allow us to promote and play the longer tracks.

We're an internet station which began as a hobby but has grown somewhat into almost a lifes worth, we started it because we couldn't find a station playing the music we wanted, so we created one.

Thanks again for the comments, give us a listen sometime.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
You're not going to play Won't Get Fooled Again???

Best of luck and most gracious wishes to you and your honorable undertaking (spreading the awesomeness of classic rock), but I can't imagine a classic rock station that doesn't play Won't Get Fooled Again...

Zombeels

Reaction score
It's not the length of the songs that send listeners to other stations. It's the repetition of songs that send them away. Every single song I hear on my local classic rock station I heard last week or the day before. No variety. Instead of a playlist of a thousand songs, a playlist of 50,000 songs would much better. One of the best moments I ever had listening to the radio was when a station played "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. That just doesn't happen anymore. It's a shame...really.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I agree with Zombeels, there's lots of great long songs but the radio playlists need to be mucho increased!...then I'd actually listen to them again, ...maybe.....

colin98

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up, as for repetition we run on an average 200+ track playlist changed every week on a Sunday, we designed the playlist so that if you tune in every day at the same time you won't hear the same songs as yesterday. Our music database is about 4000+ tracks.

We will play Won't Get Fooled Again, and Pink Floyd Tracks will come into the playlists but we have to make sure we don't lose listeners in the meantime. What would be worse, not playing a few long tracks or wasting the hours and hours we put in every week streaming tracks and nobody is listening?

Requested Tracks are always played, we recently took a whole load of requests for tracks from Ummagumma, and in essence over two days played the whole album, compliance rules stop us playing the whole thing ast once.

We're trying our best to play stuff you can't hear elsewhere that's why we do this so thanks again for all the comments.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online