How is it possible to like classical rock nowadays?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^ I can't tell who's quote is who's.....???

At the end of the day I think you can show us what YOU THINK is good, but there's no way you're gonna convince an entire forum that loves music from all decades, that a decade you love is better.

Just ain't gonna happen. TBH, I'm glad you like what you like if it makes you happy.

:grinthumb

Threads like this are frankly a waste of time for the reasons Metal state and more and I'm not just singling out Yoba. This thread has been spun in the opposite direction plenty of times before so I don't consider this anymore of a :wank: than those though it's definitely coming to the wrong demographic to make that case. :heheh: There's no choir for that here to preach to though and I have the same preference as you do dude! My predominant listening is from the 90's on but the difference is it's not limited to that. The funny thing about all that is Metal and I are ahead of you on the Bat For Lashes thing as far as the forum goes. I already have a thread and we've both praised her work. Having said that we both know that artist from the past such as Kate Bush and Tori Amos have already set the path for her and while Bat merits enough originality to get cred the framework is set on past influences. Period. No getting around it. Naaaada! Plus, as a huge Tori fan I think the past wins this round as far as who's better. Dude, you're 18! I'm not saying that as a knock but most of us have had years to soak all our preferences in to know what we like. Be adventurous and open. Don't become the bitter old man staunchly defending your era before your time and don't be the hipster either that's over one thing once the new "genius" comes along. :heheh: I'll be the first to defend even the new Justin Timberlake album though I'll be damned if you can tell me that the early Elton albums don't kick a ton of ass against a ton of new pop artist you could ramble off! It's an even playing field and it's simply music. There's no intellect to rating it. The only complexity is how and who each song sticks to and why.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Heard them already - liked them, but i do not consider them classical rock, they are pretty modern.
The talking heads are not modern music. Isaw them at cbgb's in the 70s. If you consider them modern then your point about classic rock is false and just you picking what you like.

In regards to new music so you like it all? You a fan of American idol pop singers , hip hop, electronic dance music? This is what I call modern crap ( at least most of it) . I hope this is not what you are claiming is great new music.

By the way I'm not with soot on the Justin album ( note soot does have great taste just not here) Not new, no interesting new ideas just cookie cutter pop. Give me a band like the new Foals album for something interesting .

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ Thanks for catching that AK. The Talking Heads are a GREAT band and yes...."classic rock" :grinthumb :cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yoba,

answer me one question............your are very young and I have a hunch you play video games.

Have you ever played Guitar Hero or Rock Band or Dance Revolution? These games have made a huge cultural impact for young people, and have been a big source for music. Why do you think the game makers have come up with so many Classic Rock Versions of these games? It sure was not to impress the older generation :grinthumb

Just about any video game has music; from electronic to death metal. I would bet you were exposed to music on Final Fantasy, Star Craft, Zelda, or Grand Theft Auto ;)

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I don't get it how it is possible to like classical rock bands nowadays. i mean sure if you are into music history or listening to it out of nostalgy it is ok, but seriously enjoying them after all those years of musical evolution and implementation of modern mastering techniques?

Is this really a serious post?

First and foremost, evolution isn't ALWAYS a great thing. In my honest opinion, most "rock music" SUCKS these days. There is a lot less talent involved in the actual writing, making and playing of the music.

I'm also not the biggest fan of "modern mastering techniques." I don't like how the low end sound on most modern releases. I also don't like the "Compressed to the Max" and "Squashed Back Down By A Limiter" approach to mastering. It makes the music LIFELESS and DULL. It's as if someone is trying to jump high, yet there is something there preventing them from doing so. Lifeless and dull! Great for electronic based music, but music with dynamics and feeling? NO WAY.

I'll take hard rock from the late 60s and 70s over modern rock any day of the week. I'll take 80's metal over ANYTHING metal from the last decade and a half. Todays "metal" is more about technique, than "feeling." Most newer bands can't write good "riffs" to save their lives. It's all about "flash." Speedy lead guitarists are fine, but when their isn't a solid riff behind the damn thing to carry it, what's the point? Would the solo to "Crazy Train" have even mattered if that opening riff wasn't so awesome?

From a "hard rockers" perspective, I'll take Sabbath, Purple, Lucifer's Friend, Budgie, etc. any day of the week over these retro stoner tribute bands that are stealing and watering down their ideas.

I know there is a "progression and modernism is good" type of fan in music, but in my opinion not knowing your roots and seeking out the "next big thing" is just trendy. The music biz has always tried to capitalize on things like "nothing like this ever before" and what not, but I don't buy into that garbage. I'd rather hear Leslie West screaming into key about some broad than any modern rock band singing about texting their girlfriend. The lyrics are horrible these days and the music isn't much better.

Last, but not least... I'll take ANALOG over DIGITAL anyday! The only thing better about DIGITAL is it's CONVENIENCE.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Rock n roll is like a good pair of jeans as in it will always be around and good while fads and trends come and go with the wind.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Yoba, young friend. You're certainly welcome to voice your opinions, especially in these forums.

A word of advice, though. If you want to prove a point, bring proof. You're just kinda scattering these random statements all over the place.

These people are not only music lovers, they're also students of music. Music, for us, has been a way of life for decades. We've probably forgotten more songs than you know.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to dump on you, but, at 18, you haven't scratched the surface of what music is all about.

Heck, I'm a couple ticks away from 50, and I'm finding new music all the time. My scratch in the surface of music is a bit deeper than yours, but as far as what I've heard vs. what I haven't heard, it's still just a scratch.

That's the great thing about music. You aren't ever going to hear all of it, but it sure is fun trying.

One other piece of advice....don't overthink it. Just groove on what you like, and don't listen to what you don't like.

nostalgy?

Last edited:

terry ells

Reaction score
its very simple , THE BEST HAS BEEN PLAYED :bow:

Last edited:

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Since you're new here, maybe instead of attacking us and saying what we like is shit, you could have created your own thread and introduced us to some of the music you like. Not that many of us would read it.....:peek :heheh:

But seriously at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, (I'm only 35 I can't be an old fart yet can I?) I stopped liking pop music at the beginning of the 90's with grunge. Once Nirvana came out and all the sudden it was cool to not be proficient at your instrument, I started going backward through music and finding stuff I hadn't heard from the 60's and 70's. It was a breath of fresh air to me and I've found more and more music I like from before I was born.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online