How Heavy Metal Is Keeping Us Sane

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What an opus of an article....but interesting.

I think we do live in a fictional/fantasy world, and metal does help support that fiction. Metal has never been mainstream music, and never will be. But metal has survived the ever changing music business.......

The only drawback I have to the article, it doesn't support it's title. The writer pleads a beautiful case to the evolution of metal, but he doesn't support the conclusion that metal is what keeps us sane....

Face it, we live in a pop music society!

joe

Reaction score
^^^Speak for youself Magic. I don't live in a pop music world. I try to avoid at every cost as I do the same for "Hollywood".:D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
parker-metal-wide.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
^^^Speak for youself Magic. I don't live in a pop music world. I try to avoid at every cost as I do the same for "Hollywood".:D
I don't think she meant individually we live in a 'pop world' but rather that society itself is a pop music society and it's pretty hard to argue that point. (IMHO)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I don't think she meant individually we live in a 'pop world' but rather that society itself is a pop music society and it's pretty hard to argue that point. (IMHO)

Especially with what we hear on the radio nowadays.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

joe, be honest..........what metal band have you seen in the last 10 years on the top music charts?

Promotion goes to the pop stars, and the masses flock to the pop stars like kids to the ice cream truck. If you believe differently, then you are in denial.

You can't avoid it joe, that is the point. Pop (and hollywood) is everywhere. The best we can do is turn a deaf ear and a blind eye. :grinthumb

I am not a fan of pop music, but I don't deny its existence. I dont buy pop music and I dont listen to it. But I wont stay out of a clothing store just because Rihanna is blaring on their sound system or not visit Best Buy because all the televisions are on :rolleyes:

joe

Reaction score
I haven't seen any metal band at the top of the charts as I haven't looked at the Billboard chart in...I don't know how long as it became irrelevent to me many years ago, except for tonight.

Here's the Billboard 100 for the week of April 16th.:

Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

I can say with all honesty that have not heard any song from that chart but do recognise about 10-15 of the artists. What about you?

I have to disagree with you Magic in regards to you claiming I can't avoid pop music and Hollywood. Let me eleborate if I may.

First let me say that I would agree with your claim if it was made 20+ years ago as radio and the MTV media outlets was the major influence on the general population with regards to music. Basically at the same time there was the big three networks(ABC, NBC, CBS) and in Canada our public broadcaster the CBC that didn't really have much impact and influence generally compared to the US networks.

However with the advancement of technology, most notably the internet and the number of choices of channels we have on T.V., for the most part I've been able to avoid the mainstream, be it as pop music and "Hollywood".

IMO people have the choice nowadays not to consume the mainstream. I chose not to. I'm all for choices. The more the better.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Maiden ,Testament ,Metallica, Megadeth and others have been on the Billboard
recently and in the last 5 years or so the has been a few METAL albums on the charts. Not that it matters .....

I easily avoid mainstream music .How !?!?! I haven't listen to the radio ( by choice) in 15 years, I never watch commercials and I only watch whatever movies I choose to see...I couldn't care if it is popular or not .

Mainstream has no influence on me at all. If I see something popular that I like I will watch or listen to it but other that it gets NONE of my time.

Like Joe, I choose my entertainment from alternate sources (internet etc. )

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know we have choices these days, we can easily pick and choose our own entertainment when we are in the comfort of our homes and cars.

What I meant was..........when you are away from the comfort of your home. The places where you don't have the choice, like Starbucks. (which was mentioned in the article) They choose what we hear when we enter their establishments........and 99% of what these places choose is Pop music.

I am totally with you guys on my distaste for pop, rap, and hip/hop :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online