Hot Tuna (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hot Tuna began as a side project from Jefferson Airplane. The band is spearheaded by bassist Jack Casady and guitarist Jorma Kaukonen. Hot Tuna began when Jefferson Airplane was on hiatus due to Grace Slick having surgery back in 1969.

hot_tuna_burgerb.jpg

Hot Tuna back in 1972. Jorma Kaukonen is in the bottom right, with Jack Casady on the left, and Papa John Creach and Sammy Piazza in the back.

Amazingly, Hot Tuna is still together touring and putting out albums. Over the 40+ years that Hot Tuna has been together, the band has had numerous member changes, except for Casady and Kaukonen, the founders. Hot Tuna remains the longest running side project band in music history. Hot Tuna puts out quite an array of blues jams, some in electric and others in acoustic.

Hot Tuna has a vast discography, beginning in 1970 with their first two albums being Live. The first Studio Album was “Burgers” released in 1972.

Keep On Truckin

True Religion

Reaction score
Re: Hot Tuna

Cool band and cool thread Magic, I like them a lot, although they are a bit slow for me at times:D

I have the self titled album, and it's not my favorite, but I give it a spin every once in a while.. I do want to try out some of their later stuff because I've heard lots of good things about some of the later albums...

hot+tuna.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Then you might like their 4th album:

Phosphorescent Rat

PhosphorescentRat.jpg

This album has a much harder edge to it :D

IMHO, the best song on this album is "In The Kingdom"

Reaction score

I liked that one a bit better, Magic, thanks, but I need a happy medium between the two sounds:heheh:

This one was too hard edged, it didn't work for me as I think these guys could sound to me:bonk:

Maybe it's just me..:lmao:

I liked Soliloquy For 2 best

joe

Reaction score

Good to see Hot Tuna mentioned. Pretty obscure band and somewhat of an aquired taste IMO. Thier first couple of albums are an acoustic blues/folk approach. Thier third album Burgers, the band goes more electric. I only have thier first four Lps and it's been awhile since I put them on the turntable.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Hot Tuna is an acquired taste, Joe. :grinthumb

The 5th release is basically a one man show by Jorma, with Jack as the producer. This album is an acoustic folk collection which shows just how good a "picker" Jorma really is.

Quah.gif

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Moving right along.........

Hot Tuna becomes a power trio in 1975, and begins to crank out 3 albums of a more psychedelic and hard rock style. (this is the best stuff, IMHO)

America's Choice, 1975

America%27s_Choice.jpg

Yellow Fever, 1975

YellowFever_Hot_Tuna.jpg

Hoppkorv, 1976

Hoppkorv.jpg

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Love Hot Tuna - long time fan here.

Me and my friends were into them, big time.

I remember when ''Hot F**kin' Tuna'' shirts were in.

I've seen Hot Tuna in concert 5 or 6 times over the years.

Either acoustic or electric, Tuna was the best.

Here's two songs from the great album, ''Yellow Fever'', probably my favorite Hot Tuna album...

Jorma Kaukonen is a guitar master!!

xugVL.gif

Hot Tuna Rocks! - Turn it up!!

* both videos are now working * :grinthumb

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

This is how I came across Jorma and Hot Tuna...was because he is such a great on the guitar whether it be acoustic or electric. I have an ongoing research project into guitar virtuosos. :tup:

Just check him out, he is fabulous!

Embryonic Journey by Jack and Jorma, 1996. This was composed in 1962, a bit ahead of its time I would say

Jorma featuring Papa John Creach on electric Violin, Sammy Piazza on drums, and Jack Casady on bass, Uncle Sam Blues, 1971

Jorma runs a guitar camp in Ohio, Fur Peace Ranch. They offer online lessons as well as lessons and other events at the Ranch.

Jorma just returned from a concert appearance in Tel Aviv. Check out his pictures, etc on his Blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have a double live album of theirs, but have not gotten around to playing it yet...I'll put it in the rotation and get back later.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online