Hot Leg - Red Light Fever (2009)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
1-hot-leg-red-light--large-msg-1262.jpg

So today I read a review that called Hot Leg's debut (and potentially only)album, "Red Light Fever", one of the worst albums of not only 2009 but of the decade and my response to that is -> :finger:

It's obvious that Justin Hawkins has developed his own unique brand of rock music of exceptional quality. The ever present staples of his music are very present on "Red Light Fever", and such staples would include his "truth larynx", rocking guitar work, the campy hilarity of his songwriting style and lyrics, and overall glam rock bombast at it's epitome.

1.) Chickens- The album opens up with huge AC/DC influences chords before shifting into an fun, uptempo rock song complete with a dueling guitar solo, chorus that pierces the falsetto stratosphere, a synthesizer solo, and the most high pitched chicken noises you'll ever hear.

2.) You Can't Hurt Me Anymore- Have you ever wished that there was a song that would give an ex girlfriend the most glamorous middle finger ever? Well your prayers have been answered. Strong power chords open this song as well and it is also equipped with many of the other attributes as "Chickens" such as the synth and guitar solo. The lyrics discuss how someone is heart broken and had their friends driven away by a crazy girlfriend but she can't hurt them anymore.

3.) Ashamed- Reality shows....some say they are the most deplorable things on television today....and Justin is one of those people. Ironically this song is a duet with Beverlei Brown, whom he entered the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest with. I think Beverlei has a very unique voice and compliments Justin's falsetto excellently in this song.

4.) I've Met Jesus- One of the most distinctive things about "I've Met Jesus" is the use of chicken picking, which gives the guitar part a Joe Perry vibe. While I do not know for sure why Justin thinks he's met Jesus (if I had to take a guess it's because he used to do a lot of cocaine) I think this is one of the most fun songs on the album.

5.) Trojan Guitar- This song tells the tale of a fictional, absurd battle where the Trojan Guitar is essentially the Trojan Horse....only in guitar form. More evident in this song than any other song on the album is the use of dynamics which range from the always large choruses to a gentle acoustic section following the duel guitar solo that takes place at the height of the battle. Also, not only is this the longest song on the album but it is also one of the few songs where synthesizers are not present and probably my favorite.

6.) Cocktails- And because the synths could not stay absent for long "Cocktails" kicks off with a peppy synth rhythm before the guitar takes over the main melody. What is unique about this song in comparison to the other songs on the album is that it bounces back and forth between two keys, F# minor and E major. In a dose of irony with this song, the lyrics are blatantly about alcohol, which Justin has abstained from since his 2006 stint in rehab as well as all other substances. "Cocktails" was also the final single released from the album (behind "Trojan Guitar" and "I've Met Jesus") and the only one to crack the UK top 100 where it charted at #85. This is quite an accomplishment since the single, and the entire album for that matter, was released independently from Justin Hawkins' Barbecue Rock label.

7.) Gay In The 80s- What's that? "Cocktails" wasn't enough 80's flare for your appetite? Well fear not my friends as "Gay In The 80s" is full of everything that was supremely awesome about the 1980s. These days the 80s catch an awful lot of grief and are mocked pretty harshly but as this song says; the 80s "weren't the gayties, they were the straighties". So put that in your pipe and smoke it haters. :tongue:

8.) Prima Dona- This song kicks off with a guitar riff that forms the backbone of the song and is a personal favorite of mine. Lyrically it points out everything that is annoying and arrogant about prima donas and all their attention whoringness.

9.) Whichever Way You Wanna Give It- This is in my opinion the best song off this album to not be released as a single. It is a catchy, fun love song with a chorus that simply will not get out of your head. Also, one thing that is interesting is that 85% of Justin's previously written songs where about love and only this song and the closing track follow in Justin's style of hard rocking love songs.

10.) Kissing In The Wind- The only song on the album to feature piano, "Kissing In The Wind", follows Justin's formula of closing albums with the gentlest song on them. Though just because this song is the gentlest doesn't mean it doesn't rock. There is significant use of guitar in the intro, chorus, and of course the guitar solo.

Final Analysis

* If you loved the Darkness then you'll love this album.

* If you liked The Darkness's debut album much more than it's follow up then this will probably bridge the gap between the two.

*If you miss the 80's then pick up this album.

* If you dislike or (God forbid) hate Justin's voice or music in general then stay away from this album or the next thing you know you'll be writing a review about how "Red Light Fever" is one of the worst albums of the 2000's and then I'll be writing another review to say NAY.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Red Light Fever ~~~ Hot Leg

I haven't listened to this album, but your review is very detailed and quite funny. I do miss the 80's music and will more than likely give this album a spin. Let cha know how it goes later :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Great review...you've stirred up my intrest here. Good job Harmony :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Thanks, Priest. I think this is an album you could appreciate. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads