Hoodoo Gurus

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
With love from OZ...........:):peek:cheers2
Hoodoo Gurus (referred to as the Gurus by fans) are an Australian rock band, formed in Sydney in 1981,[2] by the mainstay Dave Faulkner (songwriter, lead singer and guitarist) and later joined by Richard Grossman (bass), Mark Kingsmill (drums), and Brad Shepherd (guitar, vocals, harmonica).[3] Their popularity peaked in the mid to late 1980s with albums Mars Needs Guitars!, Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder.[4]

Hoodoo Gurus had a string of acclaimed pop-rock singles including "Leilani" (1982), "Tojo" (1983), "My Girl" (1983), "I Want You Back" (1984), "Bittersweet", "Like Wow - Wipeout!", and "What's My Scene?".[2] After touring the United States from 1984 onwards they gained popularity on the U.S. college rock circuit[4] with singles "Come Anytime" (1989)[5] reaching #1 and "Miss Freelove '69" (1991)[6] reaching #3 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.[7] Gurus’ biggest Australian hit single was their 1987 Top 3 hit song "What's My Scene?"[8] or, as modified for the National Rugby League 2000s theme, "That's My Team".[9][10]

Hoodoo Gurus' iconic status on the Australian rock scene was acknowledged when they were inducted into the 2007 ARIA Hall of Fame.[11][12] Their induction announcement stated that the Gurus were one of the most "inventive, lyrically smart and exciting" bands from Australia.[13] From 1960s power pop, and wild garage punk to hard driving rock and funky psychedelic kitsch their music stood out from Sydney's Detroit-inspired bands. History
[edit] Formation (1981–1983)
Three Hoodoo Gurus founders were from Perth protopunk and punk bands: Dave Faulkner (guitars) and James Baker (drums) of The Victims;[14] while Baker had been with Roddy Radalj (aka Roddy Ray'Da) (guitars)[15] in The Scientists.[2][16] The fourth founding member, Kimble Rendall (guitars) was formerly in Sydney punk rockers XL Capris.[2][17] The three guitarists Faulkner, Rendall and Radalj met at an end-of-1980 New Year's Eve party and were joined by Baker to form Le Hoodoo Gurus.

Le Hoodoo Gurus unorthodox line-up of three guitars and no bass player, fused pop melodies, punk guitars and an American trash culture ethic.[2] This was captured on their first single, "Leilani" released in October 1982, on Phantom Records.[19] This told the story of a maiden sacrificed to the gods and an erupting volcano while her true love looked on helplessly.[2] They dropped the 'Le', to become Hoodoo Gurus, not long after the single's release.[2] As the Hoodoo Gurus, they gave their first ever performance on a segment of the kids' TV program Simon Townsend's Wonder World; this was followed by a performance alongside a man and his singing dog, on The Don Lane Show.[20]

Rendall left in 1982 before the release of "Leilani", and went on to become an award-winning music video and film director.[20][21] Rendall was Second Unit Director on the latter two Matrix films, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, as well as I, Robot. Rendall also directed the slasher film, Cut in 2000.[21] Rendall was effectively replaced by Clyde Bramley (bass guitar, backing vocals) from Sydney bands The Hitmen and Super K.[2][3]

Radalj was not happy with Rendall's leaving or Faulkner's greater influence and left the Gurus.[18] He was replaced by ex-Fun Things guitarist Brad Shepherd, who had been Bramley's flatmate.[22] Bramley and Shepherd had both been in The Hitmen and Super K.[2][23] Faulkner wrote "I Want You Back" in response to Radalj's public dissatisfaction with the Gurus.[24] Radalj went on to perform with a number of other acts, including The Johnnys, Love Rodeo, The Dubrovniks and Roddy Ray'Da & the Surfin' Caesars.[15] As Roddy Ray'Da, he released Lost, Lonely and Vicious in 1990, Orgazmatazz a year later and Mouthful of Chicken in 1993.[25]

[edit] Stoneage Romeos (1983–1984)
Gurus new line-up (Baker, Bramley, Faulkner and Shepherd) recorded the band's first album in 1984, Stoneage Romeos.[3] The title came from a 1955 Three Stooges short Stone Age Romeos. The album was dedicated to characters from Get Smart, F-Troop and Petticoat Junction.[2] They were awarded 'Best Debut Album' of 1984 at the July 1985 Countdown Music Awards.[26] When Stoneage Romeos was released in America it stayed at number 1 in the Alternative/College charts for seven weeks, becoming one of the most played albums for the year on the college network.[27]

Initially a cult inner-city act, their popularity expanded due to regular airplay on radio station Triple J and nationwide pop TV show Countdown from mid-1983. Their breakthrough single "My Girl" was accompanied by a video clip featuring a dog trainer with his once champion greyhound. Members of Spiderbait described seeing the video for the first time as "a beautiful, classic pop song".[28] Some viewers insisted the song was "written about a dog".[24] This was closely followed by "I Want You Back", which featured animated plastic model dinosaurs. Both videos were aired frequently raising the group's profile around the country.[20]

Original drummer James Baker was sacked from the band in August, 1984[2][29][30] and was replaced by Mark Kingsmill (The Hitmen, New Christs, Screaming Tribesmen, Hellcats and Super K).[3] Based on the success of the Stoneage Romeos the Hoodoo Gurus, with their new drummer, then embarked on their first tour of the United States in late 1984.[18]

[edit] From Mars to Kinky (1985–1993)
Following the US tour the Hoodoo Gurus went into the studio and recorded their second album, Mars Needs Guitars! (1985). The title was a twist on a Sci Fi B movie titled Mars Needs Women. The album's first single, "Bittersweet", had a more subdued regular-looking video. The Hoodoo Gurus played Europe and the United States including sell-out shows at London’s Hammersmith Palais and a two month tour as special guests with The Bangles.[4][24]

The sacking of Baker upset some die-hard fans and critics who felt that the group was losing touch with its "indie" roots, and Faulkner is said to have written the single "Poison Pen" (September, 1986) in response to some of the critical articles in the music press written about Baker's departure. Another view was that it was about the replacement of their first manager, Stuart Coupe (journalist, writer, tour promoter), but according to songwriter Faulkner it was about a relationship that had turned bitter.[24] Baker had been involved with The Beasts of Bourbon as a side project from 1983[30] and now concentrated on their 1984 album The Axeman's Jazz, subsequently he founded James Baker Experience and The Dubrovniks (latter two included Radalj), Novakill and eventually The Painkillers.[31]

Gurus' peak of popularity was in the mid-to-late 1980s with the albums Mars Needs Guitars!, Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder.[4] The albums reached No. 140 (1986), No. 120 (1987) and No. 101 (1989) on the American Billboard 200 album charts respectively.[32] The band's 1987 'Blow Your Cool' concert tour took them to 19 countries playing 204 venues. A concert from the Ritz in New York City was broadcast by MTV America. The 'Magnum Cum Louder' tour in 1990, with dates in Europe, America and Australasia; included Japan for the first time. Based on their extensive touring of America, the band gained a solid following in the U.S. with regular exposure on US college radio (and later MTV's 120 Minutes) and even developed a big fan base in Brazil.[12][24] The third album Blow Your Cool! let go of some of the peripheral quirkiness and just concentrated on the band's pop power. Members of their international peer group The Bangles and Dream Syndicate contributed backing vocals to some songs. Then, Hoodoo Gurus decided to opt out of its record contract, tying up the group in legal wranglings for more than a year. In 1988 Richard Grossman (ex Matt Finish, Divinyls)[33] replaced Clyde Bramley on bass.[2] The most stable line-up of Faulkner, Grossman, Kingsmill, and Shepherd saw Hoodoo Gurus from 1988 to the break-up in January 1998.[34]

After two albums under their new contract, Magnum Cum Louder and 1991's Kinky, which reached No. 101 and 172 on the American Billboard 200 album charts respectively[32] the band then released in 1992 two compilations at once, Electric Soup, which contained the band's hits and Gorilla Biscuit, which was made up of B-sides and rarities.

Kinky provided the single "Miss Freelove '69" which reached No. 19 on the ARIA Singles Chart,[6] and No. 3 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart in 1991. Another single of the same year "1000 Miles Away" reached No. 37 in Australia.[35] It was adopted by the crew of Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Canberra as their 'anthem' in 1993, playing it whenever they left port.[36] Hoodoo Gurus played a concert, including "1000 Miles Away", on-board HMAS Canberra during its last voyage prior to decommissioning in 2005.[37]

hoodoogurussxsw.jpg

By blackglove at 2010-10-10

rtbuck

Reaction score
I reviewed their 'Blow Your Cool' album a few months back on my Bucky's Attic Thread (I dig into my vinyl & randomly pick out a few & write short reviews):
http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f37/buckys-attic-4633/index3.html

The Hoodoo Gurus – ‘Blow Your Cool’
Label: Elektra Records
Year: 1987
Review by Bucky

By 1987 my record collection was up over 2000 & my tastes in music had expanded. I bought this album because I liked the band name. I never heard them or heard of them but for a while I was listening to this record on a regular basis, bringing it to parties, & then eventually it got lost in my record collection. As soon as the needle hit the groove I remembered how much I liked the album & during that time frame, besides the Metal & Hard Rock that was going on, I was also listening to this record, REM’s ‘Dead Letter Office’, The Smithereens ‘Green Thoughts’, & The Godfathers ‘Birth School Work Death’ albums. Songs like “What’s My Scene”, “Hell For Leather”, ”Out That Door”, “In the Middle of the Land”, & “Party Machine” will bring back your partying days in college with their Alternative/Power Pop style. Even though just about every track is great there is one song in my opinion that is a cut above the rest & that is “Where Nowhere is” which is a great blend of the MC5 meets the Romantics. This is a Party record album

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
My Girl :grinthumb .................... the pub featured in the vid reminds me of the one at the corner of my street :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online

No members online now.