Hi from Carlisle, England

Porch Monkey

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been getting to listen to music much more since motorcycles started to prove a bit expensive, so been looking for somewhere to chat about my second love, so here I am! Quite a few threads on this forum that grab my attention, so I chose here over other forums.

So, a little about my music tastes.
I first started to listen to rock music when I was a lad back in the early 70s. Back then I liked Marc Bolan and T Rex, Slade, and other glam rock stuff.
My brother got me into heavy rock when he gave me a cassette copy of Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous album, which I still love, and it kind of went from there to AC/DC, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Saxon etc.
Took me a while to get into Led Zep - their Song Remains the Same movie finally did it for me.
After a while, I started to wonder what Jimmy Page had been doing before Led Zep, which led me to the Yardbirds, which led me to Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Eric led to John Mayall, from there to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac -> Freddie King, Elmore James, Muddy Waters and all the American blues greats. Along the way came Jimi, Cream, Floyd, the Doors, Creedence Clearwater, Stones &c &c.
About now, a mate gave me a cheap electric guitar, and I started to learn to play blues.
Fast forward a bit, and Stevie Ray Vaughan came along, and with him my blues playing went into overdrive. Alas, I somewhat neglected the rock stuff from then for a number of years, but then kind of found my limit with the guitar playing and went back to listening to more, and back came the rock music.
Now I listen to most anything if guitar (electric or acoustic) is up front and centre, although I still tend to prefer something on the 'gnarlier' side.
From folk styles to just short of thrash/death metal (I can't quite go there!), if there's some good guitar playing, likely I'll at least give it a chance.

So that's me.
Looking forward to some enjoyable music discussion, see you all somewhere on the forum!

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Hard Rock, Metal, and Blues?,...you'll fit in here great! I play guitar as well, also bass. Pop in to the musician's corner and show us your guitars.

Porch Monkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome messages folks :)

@ Speed King, Just got a Fender USA Strat, tobacco sunburst, recent model, so nothing overly special. Tbh, I don't play it much anymore, but when I do pick it up, it's still mostly blues I fiddle with, and a few favourite Led Zep and Rory Gallagher bits and pieces I like to mess around with.

Also a Takamine acoustic which I finger-pick (not very well!), folk and blues stuff mostly.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
wow hello and welcome you`ll fit right in here with your list of bands..........see you around

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online