Heavy Metal and the NWOBHM

GV1967Piggy

Reaction score
We all now NWOBHM was the rise of Metal from the late 70s into the 80s in Britain, after the punk era and old tradional Metal/Hard Rock bands of the 60-70s.
But Britain wasn't the only place it went off!
By 1981-83 before Thrash era and not the Hair Metal era, there was a Heavy metal era that was in full force, what was that era called outside of England.
The USA you had Dio, Ozzy band, Queensryche, Europe had Accept, Mercyful Fate, Canada had Anvil, Exciter, Australia had Heaven? etc.... Or was it just 80s heavy metal, when you google search that type of genre, you always get Thrash, NWOBHM, Hair Bands and early 70s bands/songs mixed in. But none of the classic power metal of the early '80s,
What are some of your top 100 songs of the 80s Metal influenced by NWOBHM and bands of that era?

E-Z

Reaction score
With NWOBHM I like Iron Maiden's 1st & 2nd albums featuring Paul Di Anno on vocals also the Angel Witch 1st album and Samson's Head On album plus Def Leppard's On Through The Night 1st album.

I have the Metal For Mutha’s 2 cd albums NWOBHM sampler (I had the 1st album on vinyl back in 1980) along with Saxon's Wheel's Of Steel and the Tygers Of Pan Tang Wild Cat album.

In the UK with the popularity of NWOBHM in 1980-81 both heavy rock bands Rainbow and Gillan along with heavy metal band Judas Priest were both big at that time.

During 1980 I remember buying the Samson 45rpm single Hammerhead b/w Vice Versa which I liked also Iron Maiden's 45rpm single Sanctuary as well.

Last edited:

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
Albums, but some title tracks involved as well.

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Diamond Head - Lightning To the Nations
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden & Killers
Riot - Fire Down Under & Narita
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat & Spellbound
Venom - Welcome To Hell
Raven - All For One
Praying Mantis - Time Tells No Lies
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Grim Reaper - See You In Hell
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel (Most accessible imo, but would also recommend all their stuff of the period)
Witchfynde - Give 'Em Hell
Tokyo Blade - Tokyo Blade & Night Of The Blade
Tank - Honor And Blood
Samson - Head On
Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof
Girlschool - Demolition & Hit and Run
Def Leppard - On Through The Night & High 'n' Dry
Blitzkrieg - A Time Of Changes
Satan - Court In The Act
Pagan Altar - Pagan Altar
Savage - Loose 'n Lethal
Dark Star - Dark Star

Just what I think is quintessential material of the genre.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.