1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart - TCU Place, Saskatoon Sk Canada 18/02/11

Discussion in 'Live Concert Reviews.' started by TheWhalerfan, May 5, 2011.

1. TheWhalerfan

TheWhalerfan Lovus My Avatarus

Saw Heart on Feb 18th at TCU place in Saskatoon. Even though they are my second favorite band, I was hesitant to go because I was a bit worried Ann might not be as impressive a singer as I had hoped - keep in mind this is my favorite vocalist...I place her on a pretty big pedestal. Like witnessing your favorite boxer at the end of their career get pummeled, I just didn't want to go if it was going to suck. Anyway a few friends, including one Heart hater (!) and I went after forking over $93 for good seats in a really nice auditorium.

Well, I can say I am very glad I went. Is their new band as good as the original lineup, or even the mid 80's crew? Nope, but they are still good. Are Ann and Nancy poster material? Uh, no, I don't look at them that way anymore lol it isn't 1985. Can they still bring it? YES! Once they hit the 2nd half of the show Ann really decided to crank it up and blew the place away. Her voice is so loud, in a good way, it is simply unreal. She has lost some ability to hit the high notes and her speaking voice has become quite gravely as if she smoked a box of cigs before the show, but even at 60 Ann is amazing to hear. Nancy played great as to be expected, and it was quite obvious that the Wilsons still enjoying performing live.

They started off with "Cook with Fire" and played most of the usual numbers, a couple new songs off Red Velvet Car , and great covers of "Gimme Shelter", "Love Reign o'er Me", and "What Is and What Should Never Be". Sadly missing for me was "Little Queen" but overall there was nothing to complain about.

If anyone is a fan I suggest trying to see them as it is a great show. No it won't have the cool dresses from 1977 or the cleavage of 1985, but you will see two legends perform that can still deliver with the best of them. Even the hater we went with was impressed..she admitted that Ann is something special. What better endorsement is there than that?

2. runtfan

runtfan Senior Member

I saw them about a month ago and I pretty much agree with your review. Ann still sounds great, although I noticed on the super high notes she doesn't hit them quite as hard or hold them quite as long. But that's hardly worth mentioning with a singer as good as Ann.
    I disagree on a couple of points...1) I think Nancy is still smokin' hot - I've had a crush on her since Dreamboat Annie came out. She still looks good but the way she plays, sings, and moves onstage are what puts her way up on my list...and 2) I agree with you that this lineup doesn't compare to the original ( and best) lineup but I'm really tired of this lineup. I've seen Heart three times in the last year and a half and I'm struck by how unremarkable the guys in the band are. Ann, Nancy, and Debbie are all top notch but Ben, Christian, and especially Craig could take a hike.
    What I'd REALLY like is to get the original lineup back together but that'll never happen...but it would be nice to have some fresh blood and some fire and, while we're at it, more oldies like Little Queen, Magazine, Blue Guitar, Nada One, or Lighter Touch. Anyway, I'd be happy if they replaced the guys they have now...maybe Jason Bonham on drums?
    I never got a chance to see the original lineup. My first Heart show was in '85.

I'm enough of a Heart fan to play in a Heart tribute band in Dallas ( I play bass). I started the band with our lead singer and we built the band specifically to handle the classic Heart sound - we're a six piece, so I'm MUCH more of a fan of the earlier Heart stuff. Heart's always been good but those first four albums were MAGIC.

3. Groovy Man

Groovy Man I'm Not Like Everybody Else

Nice! :grinthumb

I seem the Wilson sisters twice - amazing both times...

I'd even go see them again.

4. TheWhalerfan

Runtfan I agree with you that some members of the band seem almost boring, with little stage presence. The only way I could see the original lineup working would be for a RRHOF entrance or something, and like you I still doubt a reunion will ever occur. Ann did sing reserved until the 2nd half, but our audience was very quiet...that probably had something to do with it as when people finally made some noise she let loose a lot more.

Agree with you on the first 4 albums being gold..after that for me it is a few standout tracks, mixed with plenty of average.

This was my first show..how was the '85 concert? I know the music had taken a downturn but I am curious as to their stage show, outfits, etc..

Do you play in the tribute band professionally? I have seen a few clips on YT and some are pretty good..this isn't easy material to cover.

5. runningshoes

runningshoes Great White North

Nice review.

I wouldn't mind seeing them. I'll have to check if they've already been to Southern Ontario this time around.

6. runtfan

runtfan Senior Member

As I recall, the '85 show was good, but it's been too long ago for me to remember a whole lot about the show. I do remember that they were in full MTV-era regalia...dressed just like the album cover, poofy hair and all.I've seen them several times, but I still wish I could have seen them in about '78 or '79.
    The tribute thing is just a weekend warrior type band. We've all got other jobs. We play a couple times a month.
    I general, everybody in the band really prefers playing the "old" Heart as opposed to the MTV-era stuff. We play several of the 80's hits too, but the 70's stuff is much more fun to play.

7. TheWhalerfan

If I had a hot tub time machine, this is the concert I would want to see. Tried to pin down where it was, best educated guess was in Seattle, but plenty of arguments abound regarding this. Asked Roger Fisher on his site, but no response :(

8. LG

LG Fade To Black

Got so see Heart Headline a festival back in the early 80's, and they were impressive.

Very nice review TWF, and am glad you enjoyed the show. I also have Annie rated as one of the best and most important women in rock music period.

9. Rockperson

Rockperson Senior Member

An interesting read, I wondered what the best ever female voice in rock would sound like now, I saw Heart on the Bad Animals and Brigade tours with the pretty/hair line up, they were excellent and Ann sounded immense.

If they ever come this way I might consider going to see them. :)

10. Truckin

Truckin Ride Captain Ride

I've been following Heart on You Tube for recent videos and it was apparent that they are as good as ever and Ann Wilson has a set of pipes that will blow away any singer today IMO. I would love to see them here at Blossom Music center this summer. They are teamed with Def Leopard though and I am not really in to head bangers music that much now that I am older. A night of Heart would be just fine with me.