General Info

Released: 14 May 1977
Recorded: 1976-1977
Genre: Hard rock, folk rock
Label: Portrait
Producer: Mike Flicker

The Band

Ann Wilson: lead vocals, flute, violin, guitar, keyboards
Nancy Wilson: background vocals, lead vocals on "Treat Me Well", guitar, mandolin, piano
Roger Fisher: guitar, mandolin, electric guitar, steel guitar
Howard Leese: guitar, vocals, synthesizer, piano, Moog bass, mellotron, mandolin, keyboards
Michael DeRosier: drums, chimes, tabla, percussion, timpani
Steve Fossen: bass guitar, percussion

Track List

Side one
"Barracuda" (DeRosier, Fisher, Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson) – 4:21
"Love Alive" (Fisher, A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 4:22
"Sylvan Song" (Instrumental) (Fisher, N. Wilson) – 2:12
"Dream of the Archer" (Fisher, A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 4:30
"Kick It Out" (A. Wilson) – 2:45

Side two
"Little Queen" (DeRosier, Fisher, Fossen, Leese, A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 5:10
"Treat Me Well" (N. Wilson) – 3:25
"Say Hello" (Fisher, A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 3:36
"Cry to Me" (A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 2:52
"Go On Cry" (Fisher, A. Wilson, N. Wilson) – 5:53

With the success of Dreamboat Annie, Heart set out to create their follow up album, and again the band did not disappoint. Now signed on with the label Portait, the Wilsons and co. brought more of the same blend of acoustic and electric guitar that had worked so well before, but cranked up the hard rock level just enough to keep Little Queen from simply being a rehash of Dreamboat Annie.

Barracuda - A great way to start off the album, this is easily the most well known Heart song, and for good reason. Written in anger after Ann was accused of having a sexual relationship with her sister Nancy, the lyrics and vocals are aggressive and the music follows suit. From the galloping opening riff this is electric guitar driven rock at its finest, and Mike DeRosier gets a special nod for creating a drum track that is a favorite to play for many stick wielders. Overall a perfect score. I can't think of one thing I don't like about this song...this is Heart at their best.

Love Alive - Another excellent song, Love Alive opens with interesting melodic dual guitar work in the first half, then breaks out into a faster, harder second section. Vocals here are top notch as per usual, including a cool mid section harmony sung by Ann, Nancy, and Howard. Flute at the end of the song is nice touch. Lyrics recall a persons desire to keep the love flame alive despite what the world may throw at you, but aren't as soft as the title suggests ..this isn't Air Supply :heheh:

Sylvan Song - Nice intro to Dream of the Archer, opens with marsh setting background, cuts in with mandolin.

Dream of the Archer - Bearing a strong Zeppelin influence, at least to my ears, DOTA features intricate string work and one of Ann's best vocal efforts. A difficult song to describe, it is a total opposite to Barracuda, fitting in well with the gypsy themed cover of Little Queen. Think Zeps "Battle of Evermore"...if you like that you will enjoy this.

Kick It Out - A simple song with he guitars turned way up, it is about making the most of your life as we are only here once. Ann never liked the lyrics she wrote, and I agree with her in that there are a few almost cheesy lines I would have changed before recording. That being said, instrumentally Kick It Out is easy to like and features a great solo by Fisher. Good song with some lyric issues that keep it from being great.

Little Queen - Title track to the album, this is my favorite Heart song. Good combination of strong mid tempo drumming, bass and guitar, and all the way through has enough changes to keep from becoming boring. Interesting slower break section that features more harmony vocals between the Wilsons and Leese. DeRosier and especially Fisher shine on this track, which ends with a great guitar solo. Very fun song that surprisingly did not do that well on the charts.

Treat Me Well - Return to softer acoustical sound, rare track written and sung by Nancy. Lyrics speak of a person who has been through a lot and is wondering what her new romantic interest will be like. An acceptable ballad with some good playing, Heart have done the same style of song better on other albums so I tend to skip this track quite often. Not bad, but nothing outstanding either.

Say Hello - Most unique song on the album, featuring mandolin, cool drum track and great backing vocals...but the real showcase is Ann's voice. She just blows the track away with incredible range and clarity. If you want to experience the full power of Ann's voice, this is the song.

Cry to Me - Short acoustical ballad, like all Heart songs features good guitar work and vocals, but like Treat Me Well has nothing unique to grab the listeners attention.

Go On Cry - The second song with the word "cry" in it, this instrumental track is much different than Cry to Me. Long intro with cool trippy guitar, heavy drums, and backing harmony. Changes into off-time instrumental jam that reminds me of Rush. Musicianship is excellent here, great way to finish off the album.

So there it is, another 10 offerings by Heart. With their second chance at bat they once again delivered a great album with very few flaws. Little Queen took all the good things from Dreamboat Annie and turned up the volume knob one more level.

Little Queen contains Heart's best song, my favorite song, and has the best album cover :grinthumb..for these reasons I rate this jewel at 8.5/10

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Heart - Little Queen

Another top notch summary Whaler, my only complaint with Little Queen is the production is not as good as on the debut, other than that they are both essential Heart albums.

I remember some critics complaining that "Barracuda" was a clone of "Achilles Last Stand" by Zeppelin, those of us that knew Heart before they became famous are aware they used to do extensive covers of many of Zep's tunes, but I have always considered "Barracuda" one of the best anthems of it's time.

I would give Little Queen an 8.0/10 on my scale.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Baaarrrrrra Cuda! This is my all time favorite Heart Album.

Sure Barracuda's riff is like Zepp's Achilles Last Stand, but that is where the similarity ends......Barracuda is one of the best anthems Heart ever recorded.

Kick It Out and Little Queen are also excellent songs.

I would give this album a high rating 4.5/5.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

great review. This album is one of my earliest memories of spinning records and reading lyrics back in '77.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online