Heart - a hair band?

Was Heart fundamentally a hair band?

• Total voters

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Nobody's denything that glam rock was a genre before glam metal/hair metal existed. But Van Halen and others had to come up with the sound for glam metal before the style could be applied to it and a new genre emerged, imo.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Check it out! Maybe this fellow was the true innovator to glam. He sure looks sparkly and has all the glitter, make-up, spandex, and even bagles on his arm!

BrusselsAffair1973.jpg

And of course a night of performing has sweated out his pouffy hair:

IMP-N-016-F.jpg

I'm not getting in the middle but good point. :grinthumb

I will also add that Heart being called a hair band doesn't work for me due to the fact that they are lovely women. I mean the male end of the band didn't appear all that glammed out to me....a fancy jacket is just that....a fancy jacket...but the Wilson sisters wearing their hair big and lots of make up?

I mean....c'mon. :heheh:

MusicMistress

Reaction score
Nobody's denything that glam rock was a genre before glam metal/hair metal existed. But Van Halen and others had to come up with the sound for glam metal before the style could be applied to it and a new genre emerged, imo.

Thank you!

Exactly, there is a sound that accompanies glam metal, not just a look.

If you take, for example, Heart's early music like the song "Crazy On You"

and compare that with what the writer of this thread is calling glam metal, "What About Love"

There is not much difference. This is nothing more than good ole rock n' roll.
End of story.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
MusicMistress said:
The term was invented in the 90's ,by MTV, in case you weren't aware of it's origin.

Actually I suspect that you're wrong about the term "hair metal" having been invented by MTV - but that's completely irrelevant. The point is that the term exists and is widely understood to refer to a particular subgenre of rock.

MusicMistress said:
When Glam bands were having their hey dey, there was no term "Hair Metal". Fans of grunge and punk called these bands "hair bands" to deride the music and the culture.

Irrelevant. I'm not exactly a big fan of grunge but I understand the meaning of the term "hair metal" - meaning the term is in widespread currency.

MusicMistress said:
Today, however, true music enthusiasts have an appreciation for all music and wont cast dispersions that redicule any form of music by what a band's hair looked like in the 80's.

Granted. But who here has cast dispersions on or ridiculed any musical genre based on what "a band's hair looked like in the 80's"?

MusicMistress said:
If you cant take the arguments seriously, then why start such a controversial thread?

If the arguments were better, I could take them seriously. Yours girl is a case in point. You've studiously avoided addressing the question of the thread and have chosen instead to challenge my usage of a term in widespread currency.

And since when is Heart such a controversial topic?

MusicMistress said:
You seem to be a catalyst to arguments.

Hmmmmm. And you've resurrected this thread to do something other than argue about whether I should even be using the term "hair metal"? A clear case of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

MusicMistress said:
I agree your time would be better served sipping cognac, pipe in hand, and reading Finnegan's Wake.

Yuck to the first two. But "Finnegan's Wake" you say?

MusicMistress said:
I find it extremely humorus that you would mention computer science 101, like this weighs any merit in a music discussion.

And your mention of cognac, a pipe and "Finnegan's Wake" does then? You could also try rereading your first post. You went on for several paragraphs without even once mentioning Heart, the subject of this thread.

MusicMistress said:
As far as being politically motivated to NOT call the bands "hair bands", is rubbish. There is nothing political about glam metal.

On that point you're correct. I apologize. Of course your motivation wasn't "political". The word I want is "frivolous". Your objection is frivolous. Satisfied?

MusicMistress said:
You just don't get it do you? Glam metal was about raunchy lyrics, great guitar hooks, looking good, decadence, and having fun.

No. You're the one who doesn't get it. When have I made any blanket statements about glam metal? You're making the mistake of assuming that anybody who uses the term hair metal must be a fan of grunge and guilty of deriding glam/hair bands. But that assumption is simply frivolous.

MusicMistress said:
If Glam Metal was so terrible....

Had I said glam metal "was so terrible", then perhaps I'd be in a position to answer your other questions. But since I haven't, you'll have to ask somebody else.

MusicMistress said:
Now take that to night school 101!

Hopefully not to a Logic 101 course! Your arguments would have me flunking out the first day.

:eek:

MusicMistress said:
Exactly, there is a sound that accompanies glam metal, not just a look.

Yes, I agree! Now did Heart, or did Heart not, record music that fit that sound? I must admit that I'm not clear as to what you were trying to demonstrate by comparing the two Heart songs.

:huh:

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Check it out! Maybe this fellow was the true innovator to glam. He sure looks sparkly and has all the glitter, make-up, spandex, and even bagles on his arm!

BrusselsAffair1973.jpg

Hmmmmmm. Weren't you the one who also posted this?

I find it extremely humorus that you would mention computer science 101, like this weighs any merit in a music discussion.

Well I find it extremely humorous that you would mention Mick Jagger in a discussion about the band Heart.

But since you asked, I don't think those glammed up concerts were among the Stones' finest moments. And the Stones have had many very fine moments. For example, I prefer the look they sported here in these two videos:

:rock:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I don't think those glammed up concerts were among the Stones' finest moments. And the Stones have had many very fine moments. For example, I prefer the look they sported here in these two videos:

As did Heart. I don't think having a more polished sound at one point in an artist's career makes them a hair band...not even if they look a little flashier.

No different than the Stones glamming it up at one point.

Again...Heart were looking like 80's women during this time...I wouldn't toss Madonna, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper or the Bangles in the hair metal pot...even though they all had big hair at one time and polished big sounding 80's recordings.

:flirt

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
In fact after reading through some of the more recent posts...I hereby dub MusicMistress METALPRIESTESS :heheh:

Sword.jpg

She knows her stuff. :grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
As did Heart. I don't think having a more polished sound at one point in an artist's career makes them a hair band...not even if they look a little flashier.

No different than the Stones glamming it up at one point.

Again...Heart were looking like 80's women during this time...I wouldn't toss Madonna, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper or the Bangles in the hair metal pot...even though they all had big hair at one time and polished big sounding 80's recordings.

:flirt

Good points. But if Heart can't make the cut, who can?

:)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'd say Heart had a real classy look during this period...very victorian take on the whole image.

Heart-Heart-1985-Front-Cover-34104.jpg

Now a female band that fits the "hair metal" genre? Or a bit more inside the ball park??

Vixen1.JPG

:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online