Heart - a hair band?

Was Heart fundamentally a hair band?

• Total voters

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Did any one here tease their hair during the 80's? Did you highlite your hair..Did you hemp your hair... did you perm your hair.. Did you grow it long? Well.. You lived the rock star life of the 80's..
If you didn't.. You were not in your 20's..:tongue:

To answer your questions...

No...No...No...No...Yes - I had long hair.

And I was in High School in the early 80's.

I never really fell into 80's fashion.

I saw Heart twice in the 80's - once in 83, when they were still pretty much still a rock band, with no big hair, not that their hair mattered. Then saw them in 1985, when the ''Heart'' album was a monster album. Both shows were great. The following albums, "Bad Animals", and " Brigade" didn't move me at all. I couldn't even remember the album titles, until runtfan mentioned them. I'm not saying they were bad - they just weren't for me. Too commercial and pop for me.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
To answer your questions...

No...No...No...No...Yes - I had long hair.

And I was in High School in the early 80's.

I never really fell into 80's fashion.

I saw Heart twice in the 80's....once in 83, when they were still pretty much still a rock band, with no big hair, not that their hair mattered.....then saw them in 1985, when the ''Heart'' album was a monster album. Both shows were great. The following albums, "Bad Animals", and " Brigade" didn't move me at all. I couldn't even remember the album titles, until runtfan mentioned them. I'm not saying they were bad - they just weren't for me. Too commercial and pop for me.

I seen Heart in the late 70's and a few times in the 80's.. I think the thing that people don't realize is that they did the hair thing just for album cover and video sake..
When they performed they didn't go all out with the hair teasing..

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
They HAD the hair (in 1985) but that was to move LPs off the shelves and put videos on the air... They were definitely a fundamental rock band, and even the Ron Nevison produced eponymous release from '85 was not "hair"-like (no blistering guitar solos, crazed shrieking, gratuitous sexual innuendo, etc). FYI, I don't mind any of that stuff, but hair/glam definitely had its key elements and Heart didn't do any of that. Instead, you had awesome, complex tracks like "These Dreams" complimenting "Never" and the seldom heard "The Wolf." Nevison's trademarked sonic clarity on this album brings out the best in the guitar tracks, but they are far from overbearing. It's all about the sister's excellent vocals and terrific melodies.

MusicMistress

Reaction score
All I can do right now is laugh.

Fist off, people need to quit calling these bands "hair" bands. That is very degrading and the music has nothing at all to do with the hair. It was a culture in music, a glam movement.

I think Foxhound needs to go to glam metal education 101:

1) The Look: The look of a glam metal rocker can be hard to achieve. It's not so much what clothes you wear, but how you wear them. However, never underestimate the value of a pair of leather pants. Piling on scarves and jewelry will add the glam touch. Layers are also good; the more, the better. Anything leather, shiny, sequined, or spandex will fit the look perfectly. Tight pants are a must. Although, you should never forget that these rockers are people, too, and they have been caught wearing just jeans and t-shirts!

2) The Make-up: Makeup also adds a nice touch to the glam outfit. It has to be over the top; don't hold back with the makeup, and don't be afraid to use unnatural colors. Teal eyeshadow is great. Also make sure to wear plenty of eyeliner, but not on your bottom eyelids. Lots of eyeliner is essential.

3) The Hair: You have to have big, beautiful hair. To get hair this big, you need to learn how to tease it and spray it. You don't necessarily have to have long hair, but it has to be BIG.

4) The Attitude: Fun. You have to be a fun person to hang out with. You have to look tough, so having nice pecks is a plus! Glam is all about indulgence...so learn to party a little.

5) Most important of all, the Music: you have to like hard rock to love glam. Glam isn't metal like Black Sabbath is metal, but glam sure does have some fabulous power chords, awesome solos, and catchy hooks and riffs. It also helps if you can jump around on stage in your tight leather pants!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Heart, no way... Now The Runaways, as much indie cred as they may have, they could have been one of the pioneering hair bands, what with their raunchie lyrics and bombastic tunes. Plus having Lita Ford in the band doesn't hurt. 'Course she actually looked pretty cool and hot (i.e. normal hair) back then. I think if you take a Runaways song and imagine men singing it, you'll be thinking of glam metal. Just a theory I have, though... Technically they predated the phenomenon anyway.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Fist off, people need to quit calling these bands "hair" bands. That is very degrading....

Tough. I didn't invent the term but it exists and it refers to the subset of bands that you eloquently took the trouble to describe below. I've learned that the fans of the head banging rock of the eighties with an antipathy/strong dislike for the grunge bands of the early nineties are the ones who find the term offensive. Since I only learned there was a distinction and rivalry between the two groups of fans in the past few years, I certainly can't take either sides' objections/arguments seriously.

MusicMistress said:
I think Foxhound needs to go to glam metal education 101:

Oh come on. My time would be better served in a night school French 101 or Computer Science 101 course.

Musicmistress said:
]1) The Look: The look of a glam metal rocker can be hard to achieve. It's not so much what clothes you wear, but how you wear them. However, never underestimate the value of a pair of leather pants. Piling on scarves and jewelry will add the glam touch. Layers are also good; the more, the better. Anything leather, shiny, sequined, or spandex will fit the look perfectly. Tight pants are a must. Although, you should never forget that these rockers are people, too, and they have been caught wearing just jeans and t-shirts!

2) The Make-up: Makeup also adds a nice touch to the glam outfit. It has to be over the top; don't hold back with the makeup, and don't be afraid to use unnatural colors. Teal eyeshadow is great. Also make sure to wear plenty of eyeliner, but not on your bottom eyelids. Lots of eyeliner is essential.

3) The Hair: You have to have big, beautiful hair. To get hair this big, you need to learn how to tease it and spray it. You don't necessarily have to have long hair, but it has to be BIG.

4) The Attitude: Fun. You have to be a fun person to hang out with. You have to look tough, so having nice pecks is a plus! Glam is all about indulgence...so learn to party a little.

5) Most important of all, the Music: you have to like hard rock to love glam. Glam isn't metal like Black Sabbath is metal, but glam sure does have some fabulous power chords, awesome solos, and catchy hooks and riffs. It also helps if you can jump around on stage in your tight leather pants!

Yes, that's it! That's what I'm talking about! But for silly political reasons you just don't want to call them "hair bands".

So was Heart one of those bands or not?

:huh:

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
I seen Heart in the late 70's and a few times in the 80's.. I think the thing that people don't realize is that they did the hair thing just for album cover and video sake..
When they performed they didn't go all out with the hair teasing..

I don't know, dude...when I saw them in '85 and '87 they had the works...costumes, makeup, hair...just like the videos. For a few years Heart was in whole hog with the image.

MusicMistress

Reaction score
Tough. I didn't invent the term but it exists and it refers to the subset of bands that you eloquently took the trouble to describe below. I've learned that the fans of the head banging rock of the eighties with an antipathy/strong dislike for the grunge bands of the early nineties are the ones who find the term offensive. Since I only learned there was a distinction and rivalry between the two groups of fans in the past few years, I certainly can't take either sides' objections/arguments seriously.

Oh come on. My time would be better served in a night school 101 or Computer Science 101 course.

Yeah, that's it! That's what I'm talking about! But for silly political reasons you just don't want to call them "hair bands".

So was Heart one of those bands or not?

:huh:

The term was invented in the 90's ,by MTV, in case you weren't aware of it's origin. When Glam bands were having their hey dey, there was no term "Hair Metal". Fans of grunge and punk called these bands "hair bands" to deride the music and the culture. So yes there was a fan base rival. Today, however, true music enthusiasts have an appreciation for all music and wont cast dispersions that redicule any form of music by what a band's hair looked like in the 80's. If you cant take the arguments seriously, then why start such a controversial thread? You seem to be a catalyst to arguments.

I agree your time would be better served sipping cognac, pipe in hand, and reading Finnegan's Wake. I find it extremely humorus that you would mention computer science 101, like this weighs any merit in a music discussion.

As far as being politically motivated to NOT call the bands "hair bands", is rubbish. There is nothing political about glam metal. You just don't get it do you? Glam metal was about raunchy lyrics, great guitar hooks, looking good, decadence, and having fun. If Glam Metal was so terrible, then why did so many hard rock artists attempt to cash in on the look? Why do the glam metal artists still remain some of the most popular artists even today? Why are some of the best glam anthems used at parties, graduations, weddings, and in the movies?

I will tell you why, Glam metal is and will always be some of the funnest music ever made.

Now take that to night school 101!

MusicMistress

Reaction score
Check it out! Maybe this fellow was the true innovator to glam. He sure looks sparkly and has all the glitter, make-up, spandex, and even bagles on his arm!

BrusselsAffair1973.jpg

And of course a night of performing has sweated out his pouffy hair:

IMP-N-016-F.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online