Heard of this "dead" singer? Rodriguez from Searching for Sugar Man

Sean Hunt

Guitar is my gospel, I preach with my picking hand
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’d appreciate it if you let me know what you think of my new video on the incredible songwriter, Sixto Rodriguez.

He gave up on his musical career in the '70s, but unaware to him, he had sold more records than Elvis in South Africa, a country where he was rumored to have killed himself on stage.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Sean, you deserve this sub from me, and a hundred thousand more. Haven't even watched this but I know I'll like all your videos. Great to see someone so knowledgeable after checking out only one of your other vids.

I have heard this guy but know little about him, mostly thanks to recgord and my father for what I do know, and you for even more.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Hey Sean, brilliant vid as always. :cheers:
I've been a fan of Rodriguez since 1976 when I first heard his song "I Wonder" on a bootleg tape at school. For me that song is probably the weakest song on the album now, but at the time it was mind blowing because of it's subject matter. At that time in SA girls had stars on their b*reasts and all women were virginal saints. It's amazing that the population still kept growing! The following year I managed to get my hands on the full album and it became a large part of the soundtrack of my youth. Even at that time I can remember hearing rumours that he had set himself on fire on stage, that he was blind, that his wife murdered him, that he was in jail, etc. but we never really knew until he was "found" again.
He was a huge figure in the SA counter-culture during the 70's and 80's. The oppressive, ultra conservative apartheid government of the time also kept the white population, especially the English-speaking, under it's ultra-religious censorial thumb. Not a fun time for anyone at all, especially for an engelsman (Englishman) like me who enjoyed "underground" music and the rock n roll lifestyle.
There were three really great albums at the time that spoke to the South African psyche, namely Rodriguez's Cold Fact, Chris de Burgh's Spanish Train and Shawn Phillips' Second Contribution. These were especially relevant to the conscripted servicemen and provided great comfort to many a reluctant and unhappy soldier.
When he came out here, I went and saw him and I can honestly say that there has never been a concert like that one. He came on stage and got a 10-minute standing ovation, before he could even start the show. Not many artists can even dream of such adulation. Maybe if Elvis or Jim Morrison came back from the dead they'd get the same treatment. Just remembering it brings back the goose-bumps. It was a phenomenal experience. As you can see from the photo's below, I sat front row, just left of centre, about 6 feet away from one of my heroes.
There is also another television documentary available as well which I think is more interesting the Searching film. Let me know if I can post it here on this thread. I don't want to detract from your video at this stage.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Hey Sean, brilliant vid as always. :cheers:
I've been a fan of Rodriguez since 1975 when I first heard his song "I Wonder" on a bootleg tape at school. For me that song is probably the weakest song on the album now, but at the time it was mind blowing because of it's subject matter. At that time in SA girls had stars on their b*reasts and all women were virginal saints. It's amazing that the population still kept growing! The following year I managed to get my hands on the full album and it became a large part of the soundtrack of my youth. Even at that time I can remember hearing rumours that he had set himself on fire on stage, that he was blind, that his wife murdered him, that he was in jail, etc. but we never really knew until he was "found" again.
He was a huge figure in the SA counter-culture during the 70's and 80's. The oppressive, ultra conservative apartheid government of the time also kept the white population, especially the English-speaking, under it's ultra-religious censorial thumb. Not a fun time for anyone at all, especially for an engelsman (Englishman) like me who enjoyed "underground" music and the rock n roll lifestyle.
There were three really great albums at the time that spoke to the South African psyche, namely Rodriguez's Cold Fact, Chris de Burgh's Spanish Train and Shawn Phillips' Second Contribution. These were especially relevant to the conscripted servicemen and provided great comfort to many a reluctant and unhappy soldier.
When he came out here, I went and saw him and I can honestly say that there has never been a concert like that one. He came on stage and got a 10-minute standing ovation, before he could even start the show. Not many artists can even dream of such adulation. Maybe if Elvis or Jim Morrison came back from the dead they'd get the same treatment. Just remembering it brings back the goose-bumps. It was a phenomenal experience. As you can see from the photo's below, I sat front row, just left of centre, about 6 feet away from one of my heroes.
There is also another television documentary available as well which I think is more interesting the Searching film. Let me know if I can post it here on this thread. I don't want to detract from your video at this stage.
Respect man, top post!!!!!!

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online