Have you changed your opinion about once loved or hated bands?

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Do your first choices stand the test of time? As you both broaden and deepen your musical exposure, do bands that once seemed amazing to you now seem a notch or two lower on the totem pole, a little less groovy? Or the opposite...bands you didn't like that you dig now?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Do your first choices stand the test of time? As you both broaden and deepen your musical exposure, do bands that once seemed amazing to you now seem a notch or two lower on the totem pole, a little less groovy? Or the opposite...bands you didn't like that you dig now?

For me it's the opposite! With each year that goes by I listen deeper and deeper into bands and keep finding how great so many of them are. Some of my favorite albums are from bands or artists I gave a second chance beyond preconceptions! :grinthumb

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
I lost interest to the W.A.S.P, Motley Crue and AC / DC, when I translated into the native language texts of many of their songs. I don't like bawdry and obscenities in the lyrics.2_sm5.gif

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Some of my first choice bands are as important to me now as they were way back .. if anything the roots are deeper. Some however I have cooled off towards and then again some I was not so bothered about in my youth I now play a lot.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My mind has opened to a lot more bands over the last year, I dont tend to dislike bands I was fan of, I either start liking them or I dont.
Lyrics are overated anyway and are not the reason I love the bands I do, its the music that catches me.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
For me it's the opposite! With each year that goes by I listen deeper and deeper into bands and keep finding how great so many of them are. Some of my favorite albums are from bands or artists I gave a second chance beyond preconceptions! :grinthumb

:grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I had a phase where I got into Progressive rock and some alternative bands now it seems they lack any umph to me..
I used to like Rush, Kansas, Journey, Saga, Headeast, and a few others, now they bore me or I don't get the same kick out of them like I used to.
It seems the older I get the harder I like my rock or metal music.. ;)

joe

Reaction score
Oh ya. AOR bands, especially Foriegner, Journey, Toto, Police, amongst others I used to listen to(not a whole hell of lot mind you, though I did have a few on vinyl) in my early teens I can longer tolerate and was the case in my later teens.

A couple of prog artists also come to mind; Peter Gabriel era Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator. Once a big fan, now I find myself in the last five years not wanting to even think about putting them to my ear. Both bands now "angst" me, dischord. Another would be Kansas. I find thier late 70's albums including A Point Of Know Return pompous prog pop with that mainstream guitar sound from that era. I still can listen thier s/t debut however.

Ted Nugent, Nazereth and AC/DC on the hard rock side. I don't mind the Amboy Dukes and thier garage/psych from the late 60's and Ted Nugent's s/t solo album, anything after that is unbearable. Nazereth is awful. I think I have 7 or 8 pieces of vinyl of them from the 70's. I haven't listened to them in 15 years. I still don't mind AC/DC however I have no desire to actually listen to one of thier albums.

Present day I'm starting to explore more of the post rock/metal bands which wasn't the case a few of years ago. Quite a few of the bands fuse different elements which I have an ear for. One album that I think is brilliant from post rock genre is Spirit Of Eden from Talk Talk.

Always had an interest in world beat/fusion since hearing Osibisa back in my late teens and I'm a huge fan Strunz And Farar with thier Latin American and Middle Eastern sounds. Lately I've been doing a lot of listening to more traditional/ethnic jazz from different regions of the world.

Also taking in more sub genres of metal. Djent and mathcore, tech/extreme prog metal like Periphery and Sikth.

The horizon is endless.

rtbuck

Reaction score
My teen years were devoted to Kiss, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Blue oyster Cult, The Stones, The Who, the Kinks, Sabbath, Judas Priest... etc & I still listen to those same artists today & still enjoy them all but I've changed a lot musically over the years & am open to almost all genres. I really got into the Punk music pretty heavy & in the 70's I despised it. In the 70's if it wasn't hard rock/metal I didn't like it. Since the 80's I've been heavy into just learning everything I could about the early days of Rock & Roll, Big Band, Blues,disco, soul, pop from all eras, rockabilly, old cowboy tunes, garage rock...etc

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online