Has your list of fav bands/artists changed over the years?

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I thought this would make for an interesting topic of discussion. Has your list of favourite bands or artists changed at all over the course of your life so far? Did it change drastically at some point? Or has it never changed?

Try to be as descriptive as possible, including possibly listing any and all guilty pleasures of your childhood... if applicable. :heheh:

When I was very little.. in the early 80s, my first exposure to music included our own Indian film music of course but also ABBA, Bee Gees and I don't know what else. It was all the popular pop stuff of that era.

During the course of the 80s I got to watching the Grammy awards religiously every year because my parents would watch. So I was listening to a whole bunch of Phil Collins, Tina Turner, Don Henley, Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and the like. No albums yet though.

Michael Jackson was a big big early favourite... which lasted till about the mid 90s when I went almost 100% into rock.

In 1992 we got satellite television and MTV, so my musical palette exploded right then and there! Fav bands during the early 90s included Guns n Roses, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Bryan Adams for the most part.

I was also simultaneously getting exposed to several Beatles songs thanks largely due to my dad who is a fan. I got into them through the red and blue compilation albums.

From the early to mid 90s on, I started getting crazy about U2, R.E.M. and other so-called alternative rock acts including a whole bunch of grunge bands.

There was a time during the 90s when I got swept up a little bit in the Spice Girls and Take That hype but thankfully it subsided soon enough. :peek :heheh:

Also during the late 90s and early 00s, I caught up on a lot of classic rock like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors etc.

By the early 2000s, my list looked like this: U2, R.E.M., The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Oasis. Stuff like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Iron Maiden had been dropped. :heheh:

Then, around 2005 or so, I explored the rest of Tori Amos' catalogue and became a huge fan of hers. So she was added to my list.

In other words, my list was mostly a whole lot of alternative bands with a few classic rock giants like Floyd and Zeppelin mixed in. I think my list is still pretty much the same as we speak. But as I post on this forum more and more, I'm finding myself gravitating towards classic rock again and leaving alternative/indie behind.

Sorry, I rambled on way more than I wanted to but I hope it was easy to read. lol. Looking forward to all your stories!
smile.gif

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My essentials are locked but the list is expanded A LOT! The biggest change in my musical artist was when Aerosmith was dethroned by the Smashing Pumpkins. The Smashing Pumpkins opened my ears to exploring music with depth which lead to my love for Tori Amos. Tori expanded my love for female musicians and then I discovered Fiona. The chain of music has kept linking up for decades since then! BTW, I still love Aerosmith! They just dropped a bit! :D

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
My essentials are locked but the list is expanded A LOT! The biggest change in my musical artist was when Aerosmith was dethroned by the Smashing Pumpkins. The Smashing Pumpkins opened my ears to exploring music with depth which lead to my love for Tori Amos. Tori expanded my love for female musicians and then I discovered Fiona. The chain of music has kept linking up for decades since then! BTW, I still love Aerosmith! They just dropped a bit! :D

I forgot the Pumpkins. They're also on my list but a bit further down around no. 10 or 12. But I hear what you're saying. At some point I also started liking music with depth and meaning rather than just rock bombast. :D (not that there's anything wrong with meaningless fun music every now and then!)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
In the last 7 or 8 years only once. It was a huge change however - from the only Rolling Stones to Uriah Heep and Nazareth. Both bands are doing very strong on my list.

luke8945

Reaction score
I wouldn't say its has drastically changed. I have my main favourites which hasn't changed since either discovering them years ago or what Ive listened to as a kid like beefheart tom waits, some blues musicians and classic rock bands. However my favourites have grown to include more modern bands in recent years (such as Clutch, Kadavar, Gin Lady, Radio Moscow) and rarer old bands that I found which have mingled there way into the lower part of the list. The main favourites though, I should highly doubt will ever change position.

metalife

Reaction score
I'll give a more detailed post as soon as I have a spare hour. I will say I have Slayer, Sepultra, Pantera and Opeth albums in my collections as well as Stevie Ray Vaughan, Al DiMeloa, Micheal Jackson (best of) and Bach. To name a few.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
my list shifts around in priorities, but mainly it just expands instead of losing things. my 60s and 70s lists would be full of the usual suspects, heavy doses of classic crank, glam, prog, southern rock, melodic pop. (i had three older sibs, all music freaks, and two parents who were music freaks, so before i hit school, i had been handed down all the beatles for example. when i was 9, my brother handed me aqualung, made in japan and fragile. mwhaha. early for me, the whole warped by music thing.)

i hit college right when MTV launched and my brother was an alt deejay at tulane. the second wave came pouring in... REM, U2, the furs, talking heads, the cult, the police, the church, the cocteau twins, etcetcetc. i like quite a bit of the new wave of metal and the hair bands, although reap's more hardcore about it. (i am much more sabbathy, purply, heepy, zeppy, etc. ya know, back a decade. he's a lil younger than i am.)

then i kinda got distanced from all new music, just workin all the time and raising babes... a gap from the late 80s to the late 90s i'm still tryin to fill in.

throwbacks like the black crowes got big on my list. gov't mule.

... then i found radiohead. oh yes. porcupine tree. mwhaha. sigur ros. mainly proggy outfits to hold my attentive love.

achtung baby and in absentia rotate in my top twenty list, depending on my mood. if i'm on a classic rock forum, my brain kinda leans back to the 70s stuff, it's my core formative zone, but i'm a fan of stuff all over the place/time.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
... then i found radiohead. oh yes. porcupine tree. mwhaha. sigur ros. mainly proggy outfits to hold my attentive love.

achtung baby and in absentia rotate in my top twenty list, depending on my mood. if i'm on a classic rock forum, my brain kinda leans back to the 70s stuff, it's my core formative zone, but i'm a fan of stuff all over the place/time.

I can relate to all of that! :tup: I quite enjoyed reading your story.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online