Has your list of fav bands/artists changed over the years?

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
As most of you probably know, Pink Floyd are my favourite band and that I consider their 1970s music to be the finest of the rock era. Yet they’ve actually only been my favourite since about March/April 2013 – for the vast majority of my life, Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham/Nicks version) were number one.

(I really like AAG’s idea of putting major favourites in bold and secondary favourites in italics so I think I’ll do something similar – hope you don’t mind!)

I can definitely relate to Sooty’s comments on the Pumpkins and Aerosmith, as I still do love Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours and the White Album (and to a lesser extent Tusk) even though Floyd have displaced them at the top.

My first meaningful exposure to music came when I was about 7 or 8, when I started hearing tapes in my parents’ cars - this included James Taylor, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne and Don Henley (long before I discovered the Eagles), but above all, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, which quickly became my favourite album. A couple of years later we were listening to CDs rather than cassettes and this introduced me to a few other artists that I liked – this included Chris Rea, Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol and ABBA (I can remember actively requesting Coldplay and Keane albums, hence why they are in bold).

However, between 2008 and 2010 I largely lost interest in music apart from Fleetwood Mac, none of the music my family played in the car appealed to me but I couldn’t really care less at the time, which seems ridiculous now.

My interest was resurrected after I was given a copy of the 2 CD edition of ‘The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac’ for Christmas in 2010, which I enthusiastically played on the home stereo system on a regular basis. Early in 2011, my Dad introduced me to Bob Dylan with Blood on the Tracks, I was impressed by his lyricism. I was also given one of The Beach Boys Greatest Hits CDs, which I also enjoyed listening to, they were briefly one of my favourites but any subsequent attempts to explore their music have left me underwhelmed and they’ve been since been overtaken by other bands.

It was only at the start of 2012 that I first got an iPod – initially I uploaded just 91 songs by five artists (The Beach Boys, Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Snow Patrol). I progressively uploaded more music, but at first this was just other albums I already knew I liked, before I started to buy more music by Fleetwood Mac and Coldplay, the two bands I found myself listening to the most.

I have discussed my introduction to Pink Floyd in the past, suffice to say a series of coincidences led me to checking out Comfortably Numb, which I loved – I then received copies of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. I liked them at first, but one evening in March while listening to the latter album I realised there was definitely something special about this band, and they soon became my number one favourite. During the same time, I started listening to Dire Straits (I had loved Sultans of Swing for years, but had not heard much else) and acquired most of their albums.

Later in 2013 I discovered another two of my favourites, the Eagles and Led Zeppelin, as well as a couple of others I really like (Lynyrd Skynyrd and U2). My Dad told me about Skynyrd (he went to see them in the 1970s), the others I discovered for myself. By now I was becoming predominantly a classic rock fan, albeit with a definite taste for folk (One of These Nights was the album that solidified this). Most recently I have discovered Neil Young, starting from Harvest and then discovering darker albums like Rust Never Sleeps, leading to my first ever rock concert last weekend.

Not all of these artists have stayed with me, I would not listen to ABBA or Carly Simon by choice nowadays, while Snow Patrol and to a lesser extent the more recent Coldplay albums have fallen by the wayside since I started listening to U2.

I am continuing to explore, recently I have been listening to a lot of Floyd, Zeppelin and Young and further exploring their albums but no doubt there’s some potential favourites out there waiting for me to discover.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Pump did have a lot of popular songs......I'm real sick of hearing "Janie's got a Gun". :heheh:

I'd have to credit you for a lot of my newer alternative music discoveries.....I actually gave the Pumpkins a listen back in the mid 2000's because of you...Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream, and Gish get listened to in my album rotation about as often as Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Dulcinea" (fantastic album).

Yeah, almost any Aerosmith single has never been in danger of underexposure! :heheh:

I'm glad that I gave you a taste for The pumpkins and didn't really know that influence until now! :) I believe you should really try the most recent album Oceania. It holds a place as the best new material since Billy moved on with the band! :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In terms of top 2 bands they have not changed once. AC/DC will always be my favourite band ever and Megadeth my favourite metal band. Lists often change from about 3 onwards. Could easily throw bands like Judas Priest, Opeth, Cannibal Corpse, Immortal on my top 10 favourites of all time because of how much their music does for me. Exploring bands like Cannibal Corpse and Immortal was at a time when I didn't really like those particular styles of music but for whatever reason exploring seemed to make those bands click. Since that particular day when I started getting interested in death and black metal I've continually explored many metal subgenres and bands.

People in here got me onto some great bands like Pumpkins, Rush, Pink Floyd, Helloween etc which have since made me explore those bands particular sub sections.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
myself the input of newer musicians came along when example Planet name change a musician then along came another from friends but my own way of stating I truly haven't changed at all I`m like a vase which needs to be filled constantly...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, almost any Aerosmith single has never been in danger of underexposure! :heheh:

so true!

In the past year or two, my passion has been symphonic metal. The obvious choices are Nightwish and Within Temptation but I also like Therion, Kamelot, Epica, Leaves' Eyes, Blind Guardian, Tristania, and Apocalyptica.

As you can see from the list, Metal Priest and LG had a HUGE influence on me.

I have also stepped back in time to the 90's to explore more alternative bands. In the 90's, my listening choices were very narrow. I spent a lot of time listening to Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. When I wasn't listening to those bands, I was jamming to southern rock.

Now I enjoy 3 Door Down, Audioslave, Black Stone Cherry, Buckcherry, anything Chris Cornell :tongue:, Chevelle.....and the list goes on and on.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.