Has the age of the 'big rock release' album died?

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
You have to give it to Axl Rose; as underwhelming a release as Chinese Democracy is and was, it may just have signalled the very last huge rock album release. That's huge as in investment in studio time and agonising over every note of music production, before delivering the finished product.

I love that bands such as Whitesnake and Journey have at least reached for those heights in recent releases, but the market has changed.

I listened to Heart's 1987 Bad Animals release in the car 'tother day and (like it or loath it), the production is simply massive.

But gone are the days of record companies with appetite to invest the best part of $500,000 on studio time, marketing and shipment of a rock album and even the handful of bands who could if they felt like it (say, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Pearl Jam) would not because compared to the easy route of a mega tour, scale in terms of sales would result in a perceived unwarranted risk. But that's their issue; they could at least try.

This is a big problem with classic rock in particular, since the "feel" largely relies upon a big sound to get where it's going (imagine The Black Album, Slippery When Wet or Led Zeppelin iV with a thin production).

I call my first witness Queensryche and their Operation: Mindcrime II. I'm tempted to say that the cash in concept itself doesn't help, but that aside, try spinning said release back to back with the original Operation: Mindcrime, replete with Michael Kamen string sections, 100 piece choirs and guitar tracks sounding like razors on overkill.

Second witness, Ratt's 2010 so called "return to form" LP, Infestation. Again, try listening to this wafer thin garage recording next to the Atlantic/ WEA 1985 - 1988 Beau Hill productions, those of mountainous sounding dual guitar metal pop assaults and tape loop backing vocals popping up over gargantuan drum mixes.

It is incredibly difficult to look through this and take the music on face value. Shallow? You bet, the rock music ear for most of us was honed during ages 13 - 18, when it seemed that our heroes were all 7 feet tall, lived in a big house together and could resolve us to world peace if given half the chance. As such it's difficult to accept a thin, wiry sound from a band like Night Ranger (2011's Somewhere in California next to 7 Wishes? Pleeeaase).

The answer is for a major artist to break through again and actively change the market place. I don't accept that this is solely down to Mp3s and the death of the LP. Step forward Black Sabbath and Van Halen, who may just manage what Journey almost did with Revelation...instigate the return of the mega rock release! Here's hoping.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Uriah Heep released a great album in April this year and the production is very good, though the success is for so called "Heepsters". Whitesnake's Forevermore was a great success and the band gained some audience, production quality - perfect.

It is not the production, that is causing the problem, but promotion (tv, radio etc.). You don't hear those band on BBC Radio 1 (for example) quite often, so it's unlikely to gain young audience. And still, some bands keep releasing albums in a quality of 70's and 80's, you just need to find them deep in the underground scene.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Great writeup and good points! I agree that less effort is put into production now but I do hear what I consider good production from bands. I know you are talking about big sound as well from heavier bands but I always hear a really good production sound and attention from pop rock bands like Switchfoot amongst others. I love the "Hello hurricane" album by Switchfoot a lot for that reason and the new album by James Durbin which does actually have a heavier sound has great production sound to my ears as well. :)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I agree that it's not only the production, but I guess it's part of the same circle, i.e. lack of promotion = poor sales = next release involves reduced financial investment = scaled down studio costs.

Agree on Whitesnake's Forevermore and that album sounds massive, but it's one of the exceptions that prove the rule, along with the last two Journey releases. I'm sure there are a few more exceptions such as the Uriah Heep release you reference. Also the last Rush and Iron Maiden albums, I guess (Maiden even flew out to Compass point for The Final Frontier to capture that vibe) . Still the exceptions for me though.

At the end of the day music is sound, so I don't accept that you can look through production at the songs only. This is why classical music recordings are make or break according to who the conductor/ orchestra is rather than "it's Mozart".

A good approach to recording (with a top producer) can bring out top notch performances in musicians. Fine not to bother if you're The Ramones, but imagine The Beatles using pro tools instead of Abbey Road with George Martin. Tough question and it's not black and white, I accept.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
ps you're right, Switchfoot do sound "massive" especially on Nothing Is Sound and Hello Hurricane. God bless Lifehouse also.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
ps you're right, Switchfoot do sound "massive" especially on Nothing Is Sound and Hello Hurricane. God bless Lifehouse also.

Have you heard the Vice Verses album from this past year? I really liked the album and still thought the production was top notch but not quite as crisp as Hello Hurricane. Anyway I guess this is more fodder for the Switchfoot thread but glad to see someone give them props! Peace! :grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Yep, again good LP, but I thought the latter half died a bit. Love Afterlife and The War Inside.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Just want to mention that some genres do benefit from a more sparse production and it's not always the boring lo-fi indie or shoegazer stuff. One of my favorite albums period past 2,000, folk artist City and Colour captured the intimate mood perfectly on Bring Me Your Love and honestly missed a step when he made things bigger and crisper on his new Little Hell album. :)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Good point. You're talking to a committed indie and Jazz fan. Many of the great Blue Note Jazz releases were recorded direct to two track in a single day. My comments are, I guess, quite narrow as regards massive, chest beating anthemic rock LPs.

Hey, the first two albums by The Stooges are barely produced at all and I love 'em.

Def Leppard recorded at pace on a shoestring though...no way.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Good point. You're talking to a committed indie and Jazz fan. Many of the great Blue Note Jazz releases were recorded direct to two track in a single day. My comments are, I guess, quite narrow as regards massive, chest beating anthemic rock LPs.

Hey, the first two albums by The Stooges are barely produced at all and I love 'em.

Def Leppard recorded at pace on a shoestring though...no way.

O.K., in that case I strongly recommend the James Durbin album. If you can get over the fact that he came from the Idol machine which has the finances to make a big album you may be impressed. James writes on a handful of tracks but he gets writing from a huge crop of writing talent including the singer of Sixx A.M. (great production on both their albums and the epic feel you specify) as well as writers like Marti Frederikson who've worked on the metal and hard rock acts of the past you talked about. It's awesome eighties metal riffs (the glammier stuff but still heavier) and I've never heard an Idol album badly produced. There's just never been an Idol artist with more variety (opposite of Daughtry) and who gets to authentically bring out his influences.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online