Register to remove these ads

Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (1981)

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by travis92x, May 10, 2012.

1. travis92x

travis92x Member

[​IMG]

this is definitely my favorite H&O album yet, there are other greats like h20, voices, and big bang boom(yes, even big bang boom despite the over the top lush production), but this album has a delicate balance of soft rock, blue eyed soul, pop soul, pop rock, and small bits of powerpop and new wave thrown in. Also the last H&O album before they started to go full speed ahead in the new wave direction. what do you guys think, these are that tracks that i have from the album, and definitely the strongest from the album(seeing as they were all hits :D)

not to mention this album, along with h20 and big bang boom, etc...has their best line up, t-bone, charles dechant, mickey curry, and g.e. smith

2. Garrett

Garrett ✯ Blues Man ✯

Re: Private Eyes(1981)

Private Eyes has me thinking of .......

[​IMG]

3. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

I have a small soft spot fo H&O :grinthumb

4. LG

LG Fade To Black

:oyea:

I Love that album Garrett, almost spilled my coffee reading your post.;)

Back to Haulin' Oats...I never owned Private Eyes, I did have their first 3 albums at one time but now all I have is their Greatest hits CD and a copy of Abandoned Luncheonette.

When I bought Big Bang Boom...I think I played it three times then shelved it. But after reading your review maybe I'll get a copy of Private Eyes and give it a fair listen.

5. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

Has anyone here heard Daryl Hall's work with Robert Fripp, Exposure and Sacred Songs? I wondered what they were like. Someone else was involved but I cannot remember who it was. It may have been Peter Gabriel.

6. travis92x

travis92x Member

thanks, definitely give it a go, its a great album, the energy of powerpop, the groovy-ness of new wave, and the soft touch effect for soft rock and soul.

big bang boom i thought was good, at least for possession obsession, method of modern love and my favorite H&O song of all time, out of touch

7. Khor1255

Khor1255 Senior Member

I usued to have Exposure and God Save the Queen as well as a few other Fripp solo works. I can't say I remember much more than them being highly experimental.

Nothing really grabbed me in any of the albums and quite a bit was nuagy or even ambient in nature. I was not aware the Daryl Hall was even involved.

Now which one is Hall?

8. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Hall & Oates was dance music back in the day. :)

I do have this album on Cassette and it does have the best band line up for H & O.

I would give this album a 4/5 !

9. travis92x

travis92x Member

thats what id give it too, soon im going to review voices, h20, and big bang boom, and maybe even their intermediate stuff from rock n soul like adult education and say it isnt so., but im also going to do a bunch of other reviews

reviews soon to be done(spoiler alert!): brothers in arms(1985), synchronicity(1983), business as usual(1981), ghost in the machine(1981), duran duran(1981), rio(1982), seven and the ragged tiger(1983), songs from the big chair(1984)