Gustav Mahler

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Gustav Mahler (July 7, 1860 – May 18, 1911)
He was a late-Romantic Austrian composer, one of my favorites. Not only is his music tough to play, it is also a challenge to interpret and get it to sound right.

gustavmahler.jpg

Having an affinity for music at an early age, Mahler discovered his grandparent's piano at age 4, and went on to hold his first performance at age 10. In 1875, at the age of 15, he was accepted into the Vienna Conservatory, and during his final year he started composing. In these years as a student, he was influenced by Anton Bruckner and Richard Wagner. At age 20, he composed his first substantial piece, Das klagende Lied, and it wasn't until 8 years later when he completed his first symphony.
Mahler seemed to have a busy and stressful life, having to battle health problems and multiple jobs. He conducted and held positions throughout the years in various places, from Prague to Leipzig, to Vienna and eventually the New York Met and Philharmonic. He had several creative periods in his life, where he composed the majority of his works.
According to Mahler, ""The symphony must be like the world. It must embrace everything." With so much complexity in Mahler's music, this statement stands true.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have all of his symphonies, but nothing else in the library. His story is similar to so many other composers, always a lot of tumult in their lives whether musically or personal problems.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
My favorite Mahler symphony is number 7. Here is a clip from the great Berlin Philharmonic performing some of the final movement.

Peculiar instruments were used in the symphony, like cowbell, mandolin, and guitar, as Mahler liked to implement them. He composed this at the time when he was a success as a conductor, and was gaining recognition as a composer. Started in 1904, when he sketched out the second and forth movements, and he finished it the following summer, only taking 4 weeks to complete the first, third and fifth movements. It wasn't premiered until 1908, which ended up confusing audiences at the time, and it wasn't well received. Over the time between when he finished the score and the premiere, Mahler had some negative life changes, including some problems in Vienna as well as one of his daughters dying from Scarlet Fever.
A description of the tonality of the piece cannot be referenced, as Mahler used "progressive tonality" and the keys shifted around. It has much contrast between movements and in the movements themselves, and some have interpreted the symphony as a "journey from dusk till dawn."
It is definitely worth a listen, and you can tell Mahler was manic and had times of happiness and agony.

My favorite recording of the symphony is Claudio Abbado with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:
Amazon.com: Mahler: Symphony No. 7: Gustav Mahler, Claudio Abbado…
mahlerabbado.jpg

The whole orchestra is incredible, and Abbado is a great interpreter of Mahler (which changes when he records with Berlin, twenty years later) The brass really stands out, as Abbado let's them loose but is also able to reign in that power, and it really showcases the great Bud Herseth, my all time favorite trumpet player. Mahler recordings are a matter of personal preference, many people like certain recordings while others feel lukewarm about them.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
LG, which recordings do you have? I have multiples of a few, and also the Decca box set with Solti and Chicago (can you tell I'm a big fan of the CSO?hehe)
I have a couple with Pierre Boulez, conducting 6 with Vienna, and 9 with the CSO, and also Karajan conducting 5 and 9 with Berlin. I also have a recording with Levine and the CSO performing 4. All great recordings and it's nice to hear the differences.
I hear the Bernstein New York ones are exceptional as well. Which ones and conductors do you prefer?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
LG, which recordings do you have?

I have the complete Boulez set of his symphonies and one Haitink/Berliner of his 5th which is my personal favorite.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
@MP - great to see you are givin Mahler some luvin!

@LG - Great choice with Boulez, he is a really great conductor. My sister (who plays trumpet) had a chance to play under him at a music festival one of these past summers (I forget which one), but she got yelled at by him I think for not playing loud enough... since then she has had several anxiety dreams about him and her getting in shouting matches LOL!
My wife and I may end up getting tickets to see Mahler 7 performed this year by the CSO with Essa Pekka Salonen conducting. That could be interesting if we can afford to go~ Have you had the privilege of experiencing any Mahler live? Back in 07 I believe, we went and saw Mahler 5 with Barenboim conducting, and it was a superb concert.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I get the feeling most conductors are the same as football coaches, they will do whatever it takes to get their "Players" to perform at their best.:D

As for seeing Mahler's symphony live, no I haven't. While our symphony orchestra is decent, and has two nice venues to play in I haven't been to a live concert with the exception of the "Beethoven in the Park" every August. If I lived in Chicago it might be a different story.:cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online