Guns'n'Roses: most important member of the original cast?

Who is/are the most important original member(s) of G'n'R?

• Total voters

Beady Eye

Reaction score
This one is tricky as f*ck. Most people have a reflexive answer to the question. However, it's way more complex of a question if you really think about it.

Let's start with a proper bit of deduction, Sherlock-style:
Who can we eliminate with relative ease?
1. Steven Adler (drums)
The drummer was fired before the "Use Your Illusion" records.
Although Slash stated that without Adler, G'n'r never sounded quite right again as only he had the proper timing and rhythm down, I think we can safely eliminate him from the equation. The glory of the Illusions is proof of that. Matt Sorum wasn't a noticeable downgrade.

2. Duff McKagan (bass)
Love this guy to death, he's the most upstanding person of them all. Solid, but not spectacular.
Don't know about you guys, but I think he absolutely rocks this song as lead singer:

--------------------

Now we're left with the big 3: Izzy Stradlin, Slash and Axl Rose.
It was in 1991 right after the Illusions recordings that songwriter Izzy Stradlin quit the band, mostly because of Axl's despotism. After he left, Axl and Slash didn't manage to record even one original song until their breakup in 1996.
That tells you a lot about the importance of Izzy (who started a respectable solo career).
Few bands have successfully replaced their charismatic lead singer though (with ACDC and van Halen being exceptions). "Slash's Snakepit" never took off, "Velvet Revolver" was pretty cool, but mostly due to Scott Weiland's awesomeness.
Then there are Slash's iconic riffs and solos which are still remembered today.

I do believe that Slash and Duff could have made it with Scott Weiland AND Izzy. But Izzy wasn't in the equation. Izzy recorded some very good solo albums, but nothing epic. Axl spent 10 years on Chinese Democracy which is a good album (after listening to it for half a dozen times it grows on you), but again nothing spectacular.

This leads me to one conclusion:
- Axl and Slash without Izzy don't work (proven 1991-1996)
- Izzy, Slash without Axl are good, but not wicked awesome
==> Izzy is vital to G'n'R, Axl is vital to G'n'R
==> Slash is a tad more expendable than the two above (Fink and Buckethead did some sweet riffs and solos on Chinese Democracy), but without him G'n'R wouldn't have been nearly as great.

Importance:
1. Axl and Izzy
3. Slash
4. Duff
5. Adler

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! !!

hard one so which ones importance hmmm...........

In Order Of Importance:

1. Slash (great riff`s and solo`s)

2. Duff McKagan ( great bass lines, punk, vocals)

3. Izzy Stradlin (the guns Keith Richards)

4. Axl Rose ( one bad a*** mother)

5. Steve Adler ( coolest dude )

Beady Eye

Reaction score
In Order Of Importance:
1. Slash (great riff`s and solo`s)
2. Duff McKagan ( great bass lines, punk, vocals)
3. Izzy Stradlin (the guns Keith Richards)
4. Axl Rose ( one bad a*** mother)
5. Steve Adler ( coolest dude )

If Slash was the most important member, wouldn't his own band Slash's Snakepit have to much better than it was?
I might underestimate Duff to be honest. From what I hear, he's the nicest guy and such qualities are important for the overall chemistry of a band. His simple, yet catchy bass play works wonderfully with the sound of the band.

I'm a bit surprised that you rank Axl 4th. After all Chinese Democracy wasn't that bad and he's without a doubt one of the most charismatic lead singers of his era. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of his character for the success of the band. He also had his fair share of song writing.

Steven Adler... I'm a bit ashamed that used to watch "Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab". Was devastated when I saw Adler on that show. He had this awful speech impediment due to a cocaine induced stroke. At that time he was bound to a wheelchair and full of self-pity and hatred towards his former band members. The Stones should seriously write a book on partying hard, but not too hard.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
If Slash was the most important member, wouldn't his own band Slash's Snakepit have to much better than it was?
I might underestimate Duff to be honest. From what I hear, he's the nicest guy and such qualities are important for the overall chemistry of a band. His simple, yet catchy bass play works wonderfully with the sound of the band.

I'm a bit surprised that you rank Axl 4th. After all Chinese Democracy wasn't that bad and he's without a doubt one of the most charismatic lead singers of his era. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of his character for the success of the band. He also had his fair share of song writing.

Steven Adler... I'm a bit ashamed that used to watch "Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab". Was devastated when I saw Adler on that show. He had this awful speech impediment due to a cocaine induced stroke. At that time he was bound to a wheelchair and full of self-pity and hatred towards his former band members. The Stones should seriously write a book on partying hard, but not too hard.

dude everyone as there own outlook on topics "Slash`s Snakepit " was for the two albums where great to me...

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score

That's a ridiculous argument to be honest. First of all, his Snakepit album was relatively successful and how good it was or wasn't, is really up to the individual listener. However, even if his Snakepit album wasn't a masterpiece, he has certainly released some superb albums since then.

That said...

I really hate to pick one member out, because I think Axl, Slash, Duff etc. are essential to what made Guns what they were (might be again?). If you put a gun to my head (no pun intended), I'd probably say Axl. While Slash is phenomenal guitarist, without Axl's voice, Guns wouldn't be Guns. On top of that, he's one of the main songwriters and many of the more progressive elements in the bands songs derive from him.

But again...

I really don't want to single out one member! :oyea:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online