Groupies, Tattoos, and Glam-Rock: How Helsinki is the Sunset Strip of Europe

metalife

Reaction score
Groupies, Tattoos, and Glam-Rock: How Helsinki is the Sunset Strip of Europe | NOISEY

I came across this article and thought I'd share it with CRF. In Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution documentary he states that the genre Glad Metal never developed any sub genres or had a serious revival. Well, it appears that it has, and in the country it originated from - Finland. Many of the sunset strip rockers hailled Haoni Rocks as an influence (one to which Micheal Monroe doesn't seem too proud of)

There are some great bands coming from Finland in the past decade.

Santa Cruz

Reckless Love

The Local Band -- YES, FOR THE EXTREME METAL FANS, THAT IS ALEXI LAIHO FROM CHILDREN OF BODOM. They're a super group who play 'Hair' metal classic.

So, if you like you're 80s 'Hair' 'Glam' 'pop' metal, whatever the hell you want to call it, you might want to check out some of these bands. The following article is interesting too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Scandinavian countries seem to be a hot bed for metal a lot of my favorite new groups hail from there, not the death/black metal though...I leave those for Riff.:D

mrJim

Reaction score
it's good it's still alive out there.

not my cup of tea, but still good its alive.

Jim

metalife

Reaction score
I have to say the musicianship from these young bands is amazing. The energy and the skill, at a young age, will be interesting to see what become of this wave of bands.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's like the 90s never happened over there. Be interested to see what develops in coming years.

Yes I agree it's almost like a time warp and I for one am very happy they have kept the old metal fires burning and between them and many other European countries reinvigorated metal as a genre...although I get a headache trying to keep up with ALL the sub-genre classifications.:bonk:

:gig

metalife

Reaction score
Agreed on all the sub genre classifications. That was part of the diploma of music course i did last year. we were played 30 different styles of music and had to identify the genre, year and instruments used. There was one dub step electronic noise that I couldn't help classify as 'shit.' The teacher agreed. LOL

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka