Grief

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
2ugj4n4.jpg

Grief was a sludge/doom band from Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1991 by Disrupt guitarist Terry Savastano and drummer Randy Odierno (who later switched to bass and later again left to join Bane of Existence). They broke up in 2001 mainly due to drummer problems - something that was an ongoing problem for the band from the start. They also cited what they called a "hostile environment for doom metal bands". They reunited briefly in July 2005 to play a cluster of reunion shows.

Grief's final appearance was at Emissions from the Monolith 8, a sludge/doom festival that took place in Ohio, May 2006. The band reformed in 2008 and toured the United States and Europe, but they soon disbanded again in March 2009.

A review to one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Review

x The heaviness of Grief’s music is astounding; the controlled aggression that comes with every mind crushing riff is the crux of Come to Grief.

x This is sludge at its finest. Dirty, punishing riffs, smothered in a very tolerable fuzziness that, rather than washing out the sound, gives it a delectable gritty edge.

x However, rather than simply delivering a plethora of riffs, Grief add to the diversity with occasional ‘wheeyous’ and similarly needless hooks to the guitar lines. Moments like the last minute of ‘World of Hurt’ are just fantastic in topping off the rough excess of face hammering; a heightened tempo and a sneer of belligerence in what is an infectiously groovy riff closes the track sublimely, and such scornfully awesome moments are abundant throughout the album’s hour length.

x Not diverging far from the aforementioned sound, the vocals are as coarse and granular as shredded wheat. Whether they’re dirty screams or vomited gutturals, such an intense and passionate performance brings the hatred filled lyrics to life. Lines like ‘Only one thing comes to mind / When I look into your eyes / I think of all those times / All I did was despise you / I hate you’ are so fervently hostile and antagonistic that you can’t help feeling like you want to go and beat the shit out of some pussy Cradle of Filth fans.

x The album ends with the line ‘I’ll screw you all in the end’, and yes, he was talking about you. Highly recommended.

rqyycz.jpg

Members
Jeff Hayward
Eric C. Harrison
John Heidenrich
Ray McCaffrey
Former members
Terry Savastano
Rick Johnson

Discography

29qnl9u.jpg
Depression EP ( 1992)

28iqffd.jpg
Dismal (1993)

fcmpvp.jpg
Come to Grief (1994)

2cgmyhx.jpg
Miserably Ever After (1996)

1zqgfh5.jpg
Torso (1998)

2nc4as1.jpg
...And Man Will Become the Hunted (2000)

Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/officialgrief

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
The Hartford Advocate wrote the following about their 12/3/05 date at Cherry St. Station in CT:

"Since 1991, these M*******s have been writing songs about a distinctly New England flavor of depression and isolation. Jeff Hayward’s throat-shredding vocals often seem more hardcore than metal; indeed, almost 15 years later, it’s possible to see Grief as one of a handful of seminal NE bands who initiated the merger between hardcore and metal. However, unlike some of those bands, Grief still sounds both relevant and entertaining."

Eric wrote :
I'm sorry to announce that Grief is no longer playing. We have dis-banded or whatever. Our reasons for disbanding are our reasons. We have chosen not to get into it but it may or may not include the following reasons:

x Jeff has finally become Rip Van Winkle and will be asleep for the next 50 years.

x Ray has finally eaten so much that he can not fit out of the door to his house and is unable to leave home.

x John has become so death metal that we' d have to actually be ghosts to jam with him and none of us feel like it.

x Eric finally became an actual dog and has not learned how to play bass or do artwork with his paws.​

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
I suggest you get more disk space put on your hard drive. Music is everything to us therefore you shouldn't have to worry about the same issue I had to worry about for too long. I can relate and sympathize with the unfairness of damn disk space.

For now, you have Youtube. Oh Youtube.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I suggest you get more disk space put on your hard drive. Music is everything to us therefore you shouldn't have to worry about the same issue I had to worry about for too long. I can relate and sympathize with the unfairness of damn disk space.

For now, you have Youtube. Oh Youtube.

Buy me an external hard drive. :D

I will eventually put them on my itunes.

Yes youtube oh youtube. Sometimes they suck.

But I also have your amazing threads to go to and listen too.

F

FoxyPage

Again Grunge nice thread. I have heard of them just never gave them a listen.

Going to try and get their albums when I get some more disk space.

Really? For some reason, I thought you would have been a fan already. They are a great band, I'm sure you'll dig their stuff.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online