Greetings

Z-Man

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I came here after being fed up with the stickler Steve Hoffman Forums. Is this site in any way associated with them? I noticed the forum layout/system is very similar.

Anyhow...I love '60s-'80s music for the most part, a little before, a little after. I plan on starting an ongoing album review thread of numerous late '60s albums, so keep your eyes open and join in if you're interested. Might also do a Black Sabbath one too...

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I came here after being fed up with the stickler Steve Hoffman Forums. Is this site in any way associated with them? I noticed the forum layout/system is very similar.

First of all, welcome. We're not associated with the Steve Hoffman forums, but they use the same software, so there's always going to be some similarities. I've lurked around the Steve Hoffman forums a couple of times. It can be a good source for information about recent releases, the content of said releases and to get a general idea of how they sound, but I do find the nitpicking over things people think they hear tiresome

Z-Man

Reaction score
First of all, welcome. We're not associated with the Steve Hoffman forums, but they use the same software, so there's always going to be some similarities. I've lurked around the Steve Hoffman forums a couple of times. It can be a good source for information about recent releases, the content of said releases and to get a general idea of how they sound, but I do find the nitpicking over things people think they hear tiresome

I could write an exposition about the issues of that forum...though there's like already like a dozen on the internet...LOL. Not to mention long threads on various audio forums trashing his site. My problems were with censorship...the mods there don't like debates or any kind of dissension, and that includes not worshiping Steve Hoffman. They even read your PMs over there. They act more like parents and teachers, and treat the forum as if it were school.

Last edited:

Cozy 4ever

Reaction score
Hi, I know what you mean! I also found this place after trying my luck unsuccessfully at a few other forums. This board is a LOT more friendly and easygoing!

I have never joined Steve Hoffman, but only ever lurked over there. I am on this other site for drummers that I will leave nameless just to prevent any cross-site drama from happening.

Anyway, I made the cardinal mistake of just casually asking them for opinions about this new brand of sticks I want to try out. These sticks are special ones geared toward hard rock drummers who hit very hard and prefer a powerful style of playing. They are weighted and longer than normal ones.

The replies consisted of a bunch of complete strangers lecturing me that if I couldn't get enough power out of size 5 jazz sticks, I must have bad technique, blah blah, fill in a few paragraphs worth of condescending rants about how silly and dumb was my way of doing things, and top it off with an actual meme of a guy holding fake sticks the size of baseball bats and pulling a crazy face.

So I jokingly called the little jazz sticks they recommended "a pair of cigarettes" and it was like I'd tried to kick a den of live snakes...got told off about the history of stick types, got all this unsolicited advice for beginner students (which I'm not, but they never even bothered to ask first)...and the whole time I was just trying to lighten the mood with a one-line wisecrack.

Their moderation actually *forbids* the use of smileys or emojis, if that tells you anything right there. Forbids it because it supposedly degrades the intellectual level of discussion :rolleyes:

Suffice it to say I think you & I will have a far easier time of it over here!

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I'm a self-taught drummer, @Cozy 4ever. Musicianship is art, and every musician has a style of his own, no matter what anyone else says or how classically or professionally trained they are, they can't match your OWN sound and playstyle.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online