Gowan!

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Larry Gowan is among the most brilliant keyboard players in rock today. Here's the video of his biggest hit:

A Criminal Mind

He's had quite the number of radio hits - in Canada anyway. Here's a list of some of the bigger ones:

1985 A Criminal Mind

1985 (You're a) Strange Animal

1987 Moonlight Desires

1990 All the Lovers in the World

1993 When There's Time (For Love)

1994 Dancing on My Own Ground

1994 Soul's Road

1995 Guns and God

1996 The Good Catches Up

1997 Get It While You Can

He's also a tremendous showman. I've seen him in concert twice, once at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1986(?) and another time as a member of Styx at historic Massey Hall in the early nineties.

gowan%207.jpg

His first album is a must, particularly for keyboard fans. On a good stereo his playing comes across as positively ethereal.

4172225b9da00f5f3268d010.L.jpg

Go out and score a copy today!

:****:

Last edited:
F

FoxyPage

Hepcat, I love you for posting A Criminal Mind. I thought I was the only one who liked that song.

<3

Zombeels

Reaction score
I've seen Gowan twice and both times he put on an amazing show. Fans of Degrassi Jr. High will recognize Gowan's Burning Torches Of Hope played during the last dance on the last show.

Always loved the song Guerrilla Soldier.

runtfan

Reaction score
I only know of Lawrence Gowan as the keyboard player/ vocalist for Styx. I had never heard of him before he joined them...weird that he seems to be so well known by all the Canadians. Yeah, he's an exceptional keyboard player and a great showman. His singing is OK - not my favorite and nowhere near Dennis DeYoung but still, a good replacement overall for Styx.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Boy that album cover takes me back, my brother bought a copy but I never did, I might have to fix that oversight.:D

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Always loved the song Guerrilla Soldier.

The refrain has sent chills down my spine when I've heard Gowan perform it in concert. The studio version doesn't have the same punch though. Do you know of any covers of "Guerrilla Soldier" with just that bit of extra to them?

:huh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Wow! This is the best song I've heard all night! I love the melodramatic flair it has and I even like the video! :grinthumb I guess his talent was definitely noticed since I read he was asked to join Styx!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Picked up his Greatest Hits last night, thanks Hepcat for reminding me about him, still looking for his Debut album though in FLAC of course.:)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Soot and Stars said:
I guess his talent was definitely noticed since I read he was asked to join Styx!

If you see Styx with Larry Gowan, you'll leave convinced that he's the most talented member of the band. He steals the show from his bandmates.

:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online