1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Govt. Mule (Official Thread)

Discussion in '90's Music' started by Drummer Chris, May 19, 2006.

1. Drummer Chris

Drummer Chris Senior Member

I missed this band that Warren Haynes fronts last time they were in town.
    Has anyone a fan and has seen them live?...I'm interested in your feedback!

2. newdawnfades

newdawnfades Senior Member

Re: Govt. Mule

I saw them at the Showbox here in Seattle. Great band all around, of course anchored by the incredible guitarwork of Warren Haynes. They sound really good live. Plus they usually always get guest musicians to jam with them for a few songs.

In Seattle, they got John Popper to come in and lay it down with his harmonica. They also got Roger something, the guitarist from Heart and briefly with Deep Purple. It was a really good show.

3. Drummer Chris

Cool NDF, I'll catch them next time they drive thru....I've heard some pretty heavy riffs from Haynes and would definitely love to hear them live.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Devout Heathen

I haven't seen Govt Mule, but I do like their music. I did see Warren Haynes with the Allman brothers. I believe Mule and the Allmans are doing another double bill this summer, and I believe Haynes is doing double duty as he has in the past. If the tour comes through your area it would certainly be something to see.

5. Drummer Chris

Thanks for the tip, Gearjammer...I do like the Allmans a lot but have never seen them live; I think they mostly play the States and not Canada ,so maybe I'll catch their show down South this summer.

6. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

seein them this fall probaly

7. kath

kath astronomy domino's™

i am a major fan of gov't mule, i am. they are definitely meant to be experienced live.

in fact, the most sore i've ever gotten at a show was at a gov't mule concert in nashville. not only did the mule play for their typical 857 hours straight to a standing room only crowd, but our car died on the way down and we had to hoof it across town just to get to the concert in time. then we had to hoof it to find a hotel room at three in the morning. i made the mistake of wearing gestapo boots that night. i had problems walking for days.

but it was worth it. back in the hotel room, we got some restaurant to deliver us dinner when it was almost time for breakfast. we got great food, but no flatware. nothing capped off such a surreal night quite so well as watching reap eat his lasagna with his comb.

8. Mr. Flee

Mr. Flee Member

great band!!!saw them only once :mad: as they dont come that much in europe!!
    great songwriting as well,have all their albums except that reggea thing
    looking forward to the new one coming out this year!

9. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

I really want to get into this band, any recommendations?

10. bobbyg29

bobbyg29 Professor of Rock n Roll

Huge fan!! Warren Haynes is one of the most incredible guitar players ever. Not sure how many people know but he also plays with the Allman Brothers (he does Dickey Betts parts/sings and has done some original albums with the band) and recently toured with the Dead (doing Jerry Garcia's parts). The guy never sleeps!

I would recommend starting here:
    [​IMG]
    Live... With a Little Help From Our Friends (Collector's edition preferably but the regular version is good too)

They are best as a live band. This album has all of their best songs plus incredible covers of War Pigs (Sabbath), Cortez the Killer (Neil Young), and Third Stone from the Sun (Hendrix).

War Pigs

This is probably their biggest "hit"

Soulshine

Another one of my favorite songs:

Thorazine Shuffle

For studio albums, this is my favorite:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010