retired
Reaction score
Gord Downie Official Websitehttp://gorddownie.com/http://gorddownie.com/

450px-The_Hip_03.jpg

Gord Downie Albums:

2001 Coke Machine Glow
2003 Battle of the Nudes
2010 The Grand Bounce

Tragically Hip frontman has made a new album with his friends, the Country of Miracles

By Ben Rayner
Pop Music Critic ~ Toronto Star

GD_TheGrandBounce_CTA.png

It’s gone out of fashion to admit it, perhaps, but fashion be damned: Gord Downie is still one of the coolest customers in Canadian music, right up there with Leonard Cohen and Neil Young.

He’s a superb rock ’n’ roll frontman, as the singer and lyricist for The Tragically Hip, the public face of one of the biggest bands in this country’s history. His solo soul-searching, though, has been equally if not more compelling; resulting in the poetic obscurantism of 2001’s Coke Machine Glow and 2003’s endearingly rough-hewn Battle of the Nudes, an album recorded with a handful of underdog friends dubbed the Country of Miracles. Had it not been associated with the name Gord Downie, it could have easily passed for the work of one of the many younger acts contributing at the time to a post-millennial boom in homegrown indie-rock.

And while its commercial heyday is behind it and old-guard fans grumble — as they’ve grumbled since, oh, 1994’s Day for Night — that The Tragically Hip no longer sounds like The Tragically Hip, even that particular CanCon institution has been on a creative upswing of late. Indeed, its last record, 2009’s Bob Rock-produced We Are the Same, often sounded like the work of an entirely different band, no small achievement for an act in operation for more than 25 years.

Tuesday, Downie and the Country of Miracles officially unveil their newest offering, The Grand Bounce. Eclectic, upbeat and suffused with Downie’s literate pride of place in being a father and family man and a Canadian citizen, it sounds like the work of an artist still driven to advance his art. Moreover, it sounds like the work of an artist having fun.

“Bob Rock taught me a lot. His friendship has taught me a lot about what you should expect from a recording session and, more importantly, how you shouldn’t expect anything less than absolute joyousness,” says Downie, 46, sipping a coffee after a brisk morning bike ride to a Distillery District patio. “You should feel great. You should feel 14 to be doing it. It’s true and it’s rare . . .

“We’re not building a nuclear reactor here. We’re not drilling a mile beneath the surface of the ocean with no plan in case something goes wrong. This is making music, this is melodious air and people can hear what goes into it. When someone says ‘I feel good,’ you say: ‘I know, it shows.’ You want it to feel good so it’ll show.”

Downie already knew that making music with the Country of Miracles — an on-again, off-again ensemble that includes Julie Doiron, Skydiggers’ Josh Finlayson, and Dale Morningstar and Dave Clark of The Dinner is Ruined — gave him a good feeling.

Thus, when a meeting with Death Cab for Cutie guitarist and producer-at-large Chris Walla at the Pemberton Festival in 2008 left him with similarly positive vibes, he figured that it might be time to start thinking about making another solo record.

“He sought me out backstage. I guess as a kid growing up in Seattle, he and his buddies had listened to the Hip coming across the border,” Downie recalls. “We talked very amiably and easily for a couple of hours, and I just came away from it thinking: ‘I want to see that guy again. I want to talk to him some more. I want to hang out.’ And that got me thinking about how I would do that.

“It just got some hunches rolling, really. I thought he’d really get along with these guys in the Country of Miracles. And I thought initially his sonic sense, with less to go on, would really mesh well with their sense of spirit. And in the end he brought so much more than just a sonic sense; he brought a sense of spirit. They all got along famously, so it was a hunch that worked out.”

Walla visited Downie last summer. The two went through the songs Downie had in hand. He doesn’t distinguish between material for the Hip and the material he releases under his own name, Downie says (“I generally use it up, as Raymond Carver would say, and don’t save a thing for later.”)

Walla offered up suggestions on where to take the material. “East Wind,” he thought, should open with “a thousand acoustic guitars off the top,” for instance, while “Drowning Machine” should sonically reference P.J. Harvey.

Downie was happy to surrender to another’s instincts, as was the Country of Miracles, so the whole troupe convened at the Hip’s lakeside Bathhouse studio near Kingston and whacked the whole album out over two weeks last August.

The entire session was “driven by camaraderie and friendship and spirit,” says Downie, who actually emerged with a more Hip-like and listener-friendly album than his previous solo fare. Nevertheless, he’s philosophical about the fact that some longtime fans might not know what to make of The Grand Bounce.

“I guess I want people to see me and to try to explain myself, and you don’t always get the chance,” he says. “Sometimes you don’t get the chance and maybe no one ever gets the chance to really explain themselves, to have people see them. But I guess I’m doing that or I’m in the process of doing that. What you’re hearing now is a guy in the process of trying to explain himself.”

A2F4FE6C0BBDEB24D7DCB4C4D85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Re: Gord Downie without the Hip

Current tour dates ~

June 19
Big Music Fest Belleville, ON

In Person:
Kelsey's Belleville, ON
170 North Front Street, 613-967-2400

Kelsey's Peterborough, ON
1209 Lansdowne St W. 705-749-1367

Kelsey's Lindsay, ON
330 Kent St W. 705-324-0800

Wilson & Lee Music Store
87 Simcoe St. N, Oshawa 905-925-4706

July 3
Niagara Falls, NY Hard Rock Café

Tickets:

General Admission is FREE
$50 VIP tickets available
*VIP includes limited food & drink and a special viewing area
21+
VIP Tickets available: http://www.ticketweb.com

On-sale now!

July 9
Ottawa Bluesfest Ottawa, ON

July 10
Sudbury, ON
Northern Lights Festival Boreal
Ben Avery sports complex at Laurentian University

Tickets on-sale: Saturday May 1 @ 10am

Tickets available at

Northern Lights Festival Boréal : Shop NLFB and at Black Cat

July 11
Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Folk Festival

Tickets on-sale now

Tickets available at

Online:
http://www.ticketmaster.ca, by phone (204) 780-3333, or 1-888-655-5354, at all ticketmaster locations and The Winnipeg Folk Festival Music Store

July 15
The Kee to Bala
Bala, ON
19+

Tickets available at

Online:
TicketBreak Corp. Online Tickets Canada,
or charge by phone at 1-866-943-8849

July 17
Windsor, ON
Windsor Bluesfest
Tickets on-sale TBA
Tickets available at

Online:
BLUESFEST INTERNATIONAL CANADA, by phone at (1-866-934-6889) and in person at the following locations ,

Windsor/Essex County Shoppers Drug Mart locations, Riverside Music, Long and McQuade Windsor, Fast Signs, Drifters, CR Music Room

July 18
London, ON
Bluesfest London @ King and Clarence

Tickets available at

Online:
BLUESFEST INTERNATIONAL CANADA,
by phone 1- 866 - 934 - 6889

Tickets are on-sale now.

July 24
Niagara On The Lake, ON
Jackson Triggs Winery

Tickets On-Sale Now

Tickets available by calling call (905)-468-4637 ext. 2 or toll free in Canada at 1-(866) 589-4637 x 2 or visit www.jacksontriggswinery.com.

July 25
Guelph, ON Hillside Festival - Hillside Festival 2010 - Official Website

Tickets are on-sale now.

Tickets available at

Hillside Office, 123 Woolwich Street, Guelph
Encore Records, 54 Queen Street South, Kitchener
Soundscapes, 572 College Street, Toronto

Online at ticketpro.ca
Or by phone 1.866.598.4455

August 5
Edmonton Folk Music Festival
Gallagher Park Edmonton, AB
Tickets go on-sale June 1st @ 10am MDT

Tickets available online at ticketmaster.ca, charge by phone 780-429-1999, or at the Folk Festival Ticket Office.

August 7
Hamilton, ON
Festival of Friends
Gage Park

Admission is Free Festival of Friends - Hamilton, ON

August 15
Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival
Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival / Music / Canadian / International / World / Family Event
Salmon Arm, BC

Tickets are available

2010 Roots and Blues Festival | Pass Purchase - Select Your Pass,
by phone (250) 833-4096,
or at the Salmon Arm Folk Music Society Office

:grinthumb

ecisgod

Reaction score

Nice job Flower....

I purchased the album today, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm sure I will like it. I'm gonna see gord at Festival of friends in Hamilton also Dr. John will be performing !

Did you happen to catch the interview with Gord Downie on the hour ?? pretty interesting and funny...

:cheers2

Flower

retired
Reaction score

Nice job Flower....

I purchased the album today, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm sure I will like it. I'm gonna see gord at Festival of friends in Hamilton also Dr. John will be performing !

Did you happen to catch the interview with Gord Downie on the hour ?? pretty interesting and funny...

:cheers2

Sadly, I missed the interview ... I love http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f10/dr-john-6021/ ... :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online