Golden Earring (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Golden Earring

^^I don't skip tracks so my tapes were okay by me.:D Plus the first few CD players for cars were susceptible to vibration and skipping, now it doesn't matter seeing most people use their MP3 player or i-pod as the source.

I actually like making old fashioned "Analog" tapes from CD's/Vinyl records, the sound is excellent, especially with the High Quality blank tape they made before the digital revolution made them superfluous. I mentioned that in the downloading thread, how it always mystified me why the damn record companies didn't man up and start using the better quality tape when it improved, all the cassette decks for cars and home use could play any formulation.:dunno:

Reaction score

^^I don't skip tracks so my tapes were okay by me.:D Plus the first few CD players for cars were susceptible to vibration and skipping, now it doesn't matter seeing most people use their MP3 player or i-pod as the source.

I actually like making old fashioned "Analog" tapes from CD's/Vinyl records, the sound is excellent, especially with the High Quality blank tape they made before the digital revolution made them superfluous. I mentioned that in the downloading thread, how it always mystified me why the damn record companies didn't man up and start using the better quality tape when it improved, all the cassette decks for cars and home use could play any formulation.:dunno:

HA!, the vibration and skipping hasn't changed:tongue:
well.. maybe that's just mine.. if you hit a bump right, the whole head pops out... I jammed that sucker in there good last time though, still skips if you hit a bump...
I recorded onto a tape once, and I can see making the mixes with those being a lot of fun, but it's not very accessible anymore, and tapes are pretty much obsolete... I picked up a few cassettes from walmart for 80 cents a few years ago when they were selling off the rest of their cassette inventory... I got there late in the process so my selections weren't wonderful, but Green Day - Dookie, BB King - something or other, I can't remember the name, and Def Leppard - On Through The Night... I have a few more around, but I think those were the only ones from the sale:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I don't have any of my old prerecorded tapes left anymore, they have all expired.:(

But about 8 years ago one of my favorite stores had a really good sale on Maxell S cassettes, so I bought 3 boxes of them. That was before burning CD-R's become in vogue, and I have some great Metal tapes as well. I experimented a lot years ago, and I "Borrowed" quite a few CD's and records from some of my friends and made some killer copies that Still sound great. The thing about the prerecorded tapes was not only the sonic quality was not the best, but the tapes themselves were very thin and easy to break or get eaten by the player. Good quality tape is just much better all around. Still if I were you I would keep the old tapes, just for nostalgia.:D

Reaction score

I don't have any of my old prerecorded tapes left anymore, they have all expired.:(

But about 8 years ago one of my favorite stores had a really good sale on Maxell S cassettes, so I bought 3 boxes of them. That was before burning CD-R's become in vogue, and I have some great Metal tapes as well. I experimented a lot years ago, and I "Borrowed" quite a few CD's and records from some of my friends and made some killer copies that Still sound great. The thing about the prerecorded tapes was not only the sonic quality was not the best, but the tapes themselves were very thin and easy to break or get eaten by the player. Good quality tape is just much better all around. Still if I were you I would keep the old tapes, just for nostalgia.:D

the nostalgia is really the only reason I've kept them and have not lost them or anything, and your reasons are why I think tapes died off so quickly, I actually never knew they had higher quality tapes especially solely for consumer use... usually its the other way around:heheh:

Something about spinning disks is just much better and last much longer, vinyl, CDs... I honestly don't think CD's will become obsolete to digital copies, and if they do, in 30 years, there will be a resurgance just like vinyl.... Records have been around what, close to 200 years? It's proven to be great, and I think CD's will be around that long, they are going on 30ish:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

The Maxell S formula tapes are simply amazing. They are almost "DAT" quality sound wise. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between them and a CD or Vinyl when you record it on a good deck Without the Dolby circuit engaged, that takes too much of the top end off.

I hope you are right about CD's,,,1411 kbs > any of the compressed formats you are giving up too much in my opinion, that is why I Hate i-tunes, they should sell their Apple Lossless version as well as the damnable AAC's they have now. They knew peeps were pissed off too, that is where the + catalog came from. Many people can tell the difference and instead of going to a subtle improvement they should have offered FLAC's or their own equivalent.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I have to admit that all I've ever heard from them is "Radar Love," and I never cared for it, so I never explored them any further.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

They have a top notch compilation CD Craig, "The Continuing Story of Radar Love", that is really good. But if you just don't like their sound I understand, they are my favorite 70's Dutch rock band.

Here's the cover of my favorite Golden Earring album.

2je4fon.jpg

2dvriq.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

My first experience with Golden Earring was "Radar Love". I have seen them Live twice, as the opening band for Aerosmith. They rock just as hard as Aerosmith, IMO.

Some of their early work is fabulous!

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

I'm a casual fan, love the hits and what I've heard over the years. I have "Moontan" and "Cut" on vinyl.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online