Going to Giants of Rock weekend - advice needed please!

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong topic, I wasn't really sure where it belonged..

A while ago I booked tickets for a local 'Rock Weekend' with no knowledge of any of the bands that would be playing there. After having seen the line up I am now a little worried to find I only know a couple of the bands that will be there :uh:

I know lots of you have an admirable knowledge of classic rock and was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to which of these bands are worth seeing and which I should avoid!

I love proper bluesy rock and roll, some of my favourite bands are guns n roses, zeppelin, pink floyd and the doors. I really can't stand glam/hair metal bands :(

I want to make the most of this weekend and would really appreciate any suggestions. I'd hate to miss anyone worth seeing and hoping I haven't wasted my money! :confused:

This is the line up:

29-13725301.jpg

Thank so much xxxx

luderei

Reaction score
Bluesy hard rock on this list (as far as I know and I don't know if any of them are any good):

Black Star Riders (I think there is a strong Thin Lizzy connection there)
Mick Ralphs Band
Bernie Marsden Band

Probably also Johnny Winter Experience (probably a tribute act since Johnny Winter is no longer with us).

The Yardbirds are the only true "Giants of rock" on this list, but I doubt any of the original members are still in the band.

I would recommend the Quireboys, who sound like the Faces: whiskey-soaked rock 'n' roll. They would've been huge if the Black Crowes hadn't stolen their thunder in the early 90's).

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I would go for Family, Slade, Manfred Mann, Focus, Johnny Winter and the Climax Blues Band. Maybe the Bernie Marsden, Yardbirds, and Mick Ralph's Band as back-ups...

Reaction score
Thanks both :)

You're right luderei , yardbirds were the only band I recognised :)
hardly giants of rock, but not many are around nowadays so not sure what I was expecting!

Thank you for your advice :) xx

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Black Star Riders is essential (ex-Thin Lizzy)
Colloseum - a great jazz-rock band. If they still have Chris Farlowe as their front man, it will be an experience.
Family - eccentric band from the early 70's. Apparently a great live show, especially if Roger Chapman is their front man (which might not be the case if he's in another act Roger Chapman & the Shortlist).
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - have a few nice tunes
Focus - great progressive rock band from Holland. Mainly instrumental. Excellent musicianship.
I have heard that Deborah Bonham is good.

It may be worthwhile to check out the bands on youtube before making your final selection.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Well, you have some time until the show, why not look around on YouTube and give the bands a listen. At least you'll have an idea of which ones you might like more than the others.

It's a double edged sword, going to see a lot of acts you aren't familiar with. You could walk out of there with a bunch of new music you're excited about. On the other side, you may have to sit through some real stinkers.

Either way, you get 4 days of live music, so I'm envious.

Zombeels

Reaction score
I'm sure with most of these bands the integral members are gone and what you are seeing is just a tribute band with a member that was able to get hold of the rights to the band's name. Even if by some miracle all the main members were present, these are bands that peaked 40-50 years ago. You already bought your ticket, just hope you didn't pay a lot for these muscians who may or may not be slightly connected to these great bands of the past.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong topic, I wasn't really sure where it belonged..

A while ago I booked tickets for a local 'Rock Weekend' with no knowledge of any of the bands that would be playing there. After having seen the line up I am now a little worried to find I only know a couple of the bands that will be there :uh:

I know lots of you have an admirable knowledge of classic rock and was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to which of these bands are worth seeing and which I should avoid!

I love proper bluesy rock and roll, some of my favourite bands are guns n roses, zeppelin, pink floyd and the doors. I really can't stand glam/hair metal bands :(

I want to make the most of this weekend and would really appreciate any suggestions. I'd hate to miss anyone worth seeing and hoping I haven't wasted my money! :confused:

This is the line up:

29-13725301.jpg

Thank so much xxxx

What an amazing line up for this festival, I have seen most of these bands in original form or another guise, you will have a fantastic time, I am jealous.

I cannot make the festival but hope you have the best time:bow:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online