Glenn Hughes (Official Thread)

Mr. T

Reaction score
v83s4l.jpg

i5ojgk.jpg

Glenn Hughes is one of the most iconic and revered names in Rock music. From initial stardom with Trapeze to his most recent with Black Country Communion, this man has done it all. Commonly known as "The Voice Of Rock", he has done stints with Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pat Thrall, Joe Lynn Turner and Tony Iommi along the way.

But Glenn has also had a prolific solo career, with over 12 albums covering Rock, Funk and Soul. His first appeared in 1977 but a long battle with drug abuse derailed his career in earnest until 1993 so I am placing this solo tribute in the 1990's. This man has the cred and fans to deserve his own thread... please join in and show some love for one of the best vocalists and bass players to ever lay down a track.

I'm gonna kick it off with a few of my many personal faves.

Talkin' To Messiah

Soul Mover

Does It Mean That Much To You

From Now On

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Re: Glenn Hughes

I'm all for giving Hughes some love, the man really is something else. Considering all of the abuse he put himself through in the 70s and 80s, the fact his voice holds up so well today is just amazing.

My favourite solo venture of Hughes is From Now On..., the first "true" solo album (I'm not counting that LA Blues Authority album) he released following the kicking of his coke habit and conversion to Born-Again Christianity. A monster slab of melodic hard rock, not a weak moment to be found! The live album released from the tour is also fantastic (Burning Japan Live, one of the finest vocal performances I've ever heard recorded.

from%252Bnow%252Bon%252Bfront.jpg
(Only a few of the songs have been uploaded to YT, so I'm missing out quite a few gems :[)

Mr. T

Reaction score

^^ I kind of suspected you might be the first to jump in here RC. :D I know you are a huge fan as well. Your choice of From Now On as your fave doesn't surprise me at all... epic album! :grinthumb

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

^^ I kind of suspected you might be the first to jump in here RC. :D I know you are a huge fan as well. Your choice of From Now On as your fave doesn't surprise me at all... epic album! :grinthumb

Well, I wouldn't be much of a Hughes fanboy if I didn't get the first comment in, now would I?

Attention must also be drawn to the spectacular mullet he had back in the 80s during his "fat cokehead" phase (Particularly around the Gary Moore/Sabbath 85-86 period). It really was a thing of beauty.
b13-85-708a.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I saw Glenn just last year with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice, they did a tribute to Ronnie James Dio. I have got to say Glenn did a fantastic job.

Mr. T

Reaction score

I saw Glenn just last year with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice, they did a tribute to Ronnie James Dio. I have got to say Glenn did a fantastic job.

Oh man... I'm jealous. I've always wanted to see Glenn live but he never plays Phoenix even though he lives in L.A. and that's not far from here. Maybe someday....

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

I always liked him in Trapeze and as a bass player only in Deep Purple. I tried to listen some of his stuff, but for some reason I can't get into it. :dunno:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Sweaty just caught "Black Country Communion" at High Voltage a couple weeks ago. Have to read his summary but from what he said Glenn did a horrible cover of "Burn" that didn't go over well.

I don't really know that much about Glenn's past except his stint with Purple and his new band.

Nice thread TUNEZ. :cheers:

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

Granted Jimmy Barnes is more prone to angry shouting than singing these days (Would've liked to hear them do something together in the late 80s), this bonus track from the Australian version of Music for the Divine is kinda cool.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online