Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

algernon

Reaction score
This is one of the most important(and beautiful) recordings of the sixties, IMHO. Written by Jimmy Webb, it elevated the pop song to a new level. The lyric takes an average joe--a telephone repairman--and exposes the depth of feeling and longing for love that is common to us all. The arrangement is almost operaetic with an intro that strikes out in an entirely different direction, an instrumental break featuring BASS guitar, and a fade-out that strikes out yet again into unchartered waters. The vocal by Glen Campbell is achingly exquisite--no echo enhancement, it jumps out in honest emotion..stark as the Kansas landscape. Truly a transcendent piece of music.

Last edited:

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Re: Wichita Lineman

One of the best pop recordings of the 60s...of any decade. I have stood in awe of this singular masterpiece all my life. Webb's total mastery of using melody and harmony to express the most complex and profound longings of the human experience is fully triumphant in this work, and the production and arrangement (not to mention Glen Campbell's flawlessly "everyman" vocal) only magnify the craft and genius that was already there in the song to begin with.

Jimmy Webb's own solo rendition of the song on his Ten Easy Pieces album is also essential listening.

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Great song. R.E.M. did a version on it when they were on tour and it got me to buy some Glen Campbell albums. I've been learning to appreciate Jimmy Webb a little more these days.

algernon

Reaction score

Music Wench said:
Great song. R.E.M. did a version on it when they were on tour and it got me to buy some Glen Campbell albums. I've been learning to appreciate Jimmy Webb a little more these days.
I'm very curious to hear the REM version. I may have to break down and buy the CD!

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I forget which CD it's from. I believe it's the B-side to a CD single....hmm....I have practically everything they've done - yes, I'm one of those people who obssessively buy anything R.E.M. has put out.

If I remember to I'll check on it when I get home and let you know which one it is. I thought it was a great version of the song.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Music Wench said:
I forget which CD it's from. I believe it's the B-side to a CD single....hmm....I have practically everything they've done - yes, I'm one of those people who obssessively buy anything R.E.M. has put out.

If I remember to I'll check on it when I get home and let you know which one it is. I thought it was a great version of the song.

What do you think of REM's "Up" album, MW? It's easily my favourite album of theirs...although it did sink like a stone.

Yes - I'd love to hear the cover verson of Wichita Lineman - one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Big Generator

Reaction score

algernon said:
This is one of the most important(and beautiful) recordings of the sixties, IMHO. Written by Jimmy Webb, it elevated the pop song to a new level. The lyric takes an average joe--a telephone repairman--and exposes the depth of feeling and longing for love that is common to us all. The arrangement is almost operaetic with an intro that strikes out in an entirely different direction, an instrumental break featuring BASS guitar, and a fade-out that strikes out yet again into unchartered waters. The vocal by Glen Campbell is achingly exquisite--no echo enhancement, it jumps out in honest emotion..stark as the Kansas landscape. Truly a transcendent piece of music.

I couldn't agree more...

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
What do you think of REM's "Up" album, MW? It's easily my favourite album of theirs...although it did sink like a stone.

I guess my all time favorite R.E.M. song is "At My Most Beautiful" from that album.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Okay, Wichita Lineman is on the CD Single Bittersweet Me from their Adventures In Hi-Fi album. I knew it was one of those B-sides. The CD single includes the following: Bittersweet Me, Undertow, Wichita Lineman, New Test Lepper.

Great buy even if you have New Adventures In Hi Fi just to get Wichita Lineman. I love Michael Stipe's vocals on this song. You can really feel the emotion and for me it gave the song a little more depth than the Glen Campbell version - which was also great. Can't help it, I'm very biased since R.E.M. ties with U2 as my favorite band ever at this point in time.

Oh and as for Up, I thought it was a great album. Probably the last one they put out that I was excited about. I wouldn't say it's their best but it certainly ranked up their with their better efforts. Around the Sun was the biggest disappointment for me. Not sure if I was expecting too much or what. Guess after the single Bad Day - which I thought was excellent - Around the Sun sort of fell flat. Not a horrible album by any means but not what I'd expect from a group the caliber of R.E.M.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I'm starting to like Reveal a little more and I wasn't exactly thrilled by it when it came out either.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online