Giving “One Hit Wonders” A Second Chance

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Sister Hazel
I’m sure many of you have heard “All For You”, one version or another. It still has life on radio and you can hear it played somewhere at least once a week. It’s definitely the only song of theirs that I had heard.
Today I listened to the entire album, …Something More Familiar, which spawned arguably their only hit, “All For You” and for whatever reason, that song remains the only thing barely interesting to me on that album. I’ll likely never listen to the album it again.

Aero

Reaction score
The Motors -Their hit -

I love the synth intro to this song but the vocals are a bit of a letdown. In fact, they don't even seem to go with the synth part at all as I expected something slower and pensive in nature and got something entirely different.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I love the synth intro to this song but the vocals are a bit of a letdown. In fact, they don't even seem to go with the synth part at all as I expected something slower and pensive in nature and got something entirely different.
The whole album is a bit like that. Very bad production imo. It's just a song from the soundtrack of my youth that I sort of liked at the time. Pure nostalgia on my part :D

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I agree that these days, “Beds Are Burning” rarely gets airplay on American radio but “The Dead Heart” was also relatively massive on MTV and top 40 radio its day. “Blue Sky Mine” and “Truganini” were played often as well on radio in the US.
I saw the band on a bill that also included Matthew Sweet and Jude Cole way back when.

Aero

Reaction score
The whole album is a bit like that. Very bad production imo. It's just a song from the soundtrack of my youth that I sort of liked at the time. Pure nostalgia on my part :D

Yeah, it sounds like they had disparate parts that belonged in separate songs. A better producer would've stopped them halfway through rehearsal and said, "Uh guys...this isn't working."

BTW...I've been humming and singing this song to myself the whole day; the synth part because it's so catchy and the "Airport!" line because it's fun to mock. :p

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
A perfect pop song,not by going with the audience reaction on this video (they all eaten quaalude burgers or something? )
Produced by Elvis Costello - Scarboroughian one hit wonder.
The Jags - Back Of My Hand.
The follow up bombed...
Woman's World.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
These hailed from Stafford (West Midlands)... and despite having 20 albums under their belt.. Chart hits and associated success were not forthcoming
The famous Mike Vernon produced.
Climax Blues Band - Couldn't Get It Right.
The kinda follow up.
I Love You.
(Steve Gibbons Band suffered the same plight, great tours, one hit.)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online