Giuffria (Official Thread)

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Given that we have a few Angel fans here, I was assuming there'd be a thread devoted to this venture of Gregg Giuffria's, but no! So, let's get the ball rolling :]

Giuffria+2.jpg

Wiki Link

Giuffria (1984)
Gotcha! Motion Picture Soundtrack (1985)
Silk and Steel (1986)
Giuffria III (unreleased) (1987)

Formed in 1982 by former Angel keyboardist Gregg Giuffria, his namesake band originally consisted of vocalist David Glen Eisley, axeman Craig Goldy, drummer Alan Krigger and bassist Chuck Wright. The original line-up of the band recorded one S/T album of high-quality AOR in 1984, which by all accounts looked like Giufrria's ticket to the big time. The album itself managed to force its way into the US Top 30, and its lead-off single, the Journey-ish "Call to the Heart" cracked the Top 20. However, lady luck was not kind to Gregg Giuffria and co. Giuffria was selected to support the US leg of the newly reformed Deep Purple. By all accounts this should have been a good thing, but Ritchie Blackmore infamously ordered the band to strip down their set, with their time being reduced from 45 minutes to 25 minutes, and not permitting any guitar solos or encores. The next year, the band supported Foreigner on their Agent Provocateur tour, which would have given the band a much needed boost of confidence!

After the tour of the first album, Goldy jumped ship to Ronnie Dio's eponymous band (replacing Vivian Campbell) and Wright returned to Quiet Riot. Replacements were drafted in, with unknowns Lanny Cordola and David Sikes filling the gaps left by Goldy and Wright. A second album, Silk & Steel was released in 1986, and despite seemingly being perfectly primed for US radio of the time, sadly sank without a trace.

A third album of material was recorded for release in 1988, but sadly, the band lost their record contract with MCA. Gene Simmons heard the unreleased album and presumably liked what he heard, and signed the band to his new label, Simmons Records. He didn't however, like Eisley's vocals, so pressured Giuffria to kick him out and recruit a new frontman, with a change of name also being suggested. Giuffria gave in, with vocalist James Christian being recruited, and his eponmyous band being morphed into the new-look "House of Lords".

Now, we got any fans here?

Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Giuffria

Nice thread and cool to see more Greg Giuffria!

I'm more partial to ANGEL myself but have owned the first two Giuffria albums! Call To Your Heart is still a great tune.

I'm friends with a gal who used to hang with Lanny...remember when he was on Full House with Jessie & The Rippers??

:heheh:

That's a gas!! :cheers2

Mr. T

Reaction score

Yep... these boys rocked too. Good work bro. So many bands got dumped into the glam stereotype of the day that they never got their due.... Giuffria was among them. Call To The Heart is CLASSIC AOR!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ Right on! So tired of fashions from an era defining talent or lack of.

:rolleyes:

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

Yes he did! and like so many of us 20 years later ...
Well, I'd have been a bit worried if he was still sporting the same hairstyle 25+ years later! :heheh:

What's Giuffria been up to of late? He still bangin' away with House of Lords?

Mr. T

Reaction score

Well, I'd have been a bit worried if he was still sporting the same hairstyle 25+ years later! :heheh:

What's Giuffria been up to of late? He still bangin' away with House of Lords?

LOL... last I heard he was running a studio in Vegas that got burned to the ground in a fire and was rebuilding.... all I know. But I also know the younger gang should take a glimpse into his talent . :cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Mr Giuffria is a genius !! My favorite keyboards player.....his early work ,especially on the first few ANGEL albums is outstanding!!:bow: I loved his elaborate,over the top, prog rock style. Sadly this style wasnt carried on with GIUFFRIA or HOUSE OF LORDS....who as you say were more AOR, but good at what they were doing.I must admit I dont play their albums very much nowadays
Great to see a thread on this band! I still dream that Greg will record with ANGEL again......maybe one day....one day [dreams]

Attachments

• fgiuffr.jpg
    fgiuffr.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 36

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online