Gerry Laffy/GIRL (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
mandm2.jpg

This is a thread to showcase GERRY LAFFY. Some may know Gerry through his work with the band GIRL in the 80's with Phil Collen (Def Leppard) and Phil Lewis (LA Guns). Gerry is still an artist today in more ways than one....not just music but his paintings are awesome as well!

Hope to see more Gerry Laffy and GIRL fans hangin' out and sharin' there favorite songs and memories...or just learnin' somethin' new is cool too.

Official Website

WIKI LINK

Money & The Magic

Girl ~ My Number

1.1980 - Girl: Sheer Greed
2.1982 - Girl: Wasted Youth
3.1998 - Girl: Killing Time (* finally released)
4.1999 - Girl: Live at the Marquee(* r)
5.1999 - Girl: Live at the Exposition Hall, Osaka, Japan (* r)
6.2002 - Girl: My Number: The Anthology
7.1985 - London Cowboys: Dance Crazy
8.1985 - London Cowboys: Live at the Milkweg Amsterdam
9.1990 - Gerry Laffy: Money & the Magic (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
10.1990 - Highlander II European Soundtrack: song: Gerry Laffy "Shoot 'Em Down" from Money & The Magic
11.1992 - Sheer Greed: Sublime to the Ridiculous (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
12.1993 - Sheer Greed: Live in London (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
13.1994 - Gerry & Simon Laffy: Lying with Angels (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
14.1994 - Ultravox: Revelation (CD)
15.1997 - John Taylor, Feelings Are Good (CD)
16.1998 - John Taylor Terroristen, 5.30.98 (EP)
17.1998 - Roxy Music Tribute album: Dream Home Heartaches (CD)
18.1999 - John Taylor, Meltdown (recorded in 1992)
19.1999 - John Taylor, Juicy Jeans Promo Sampler (EP)
20.1999 - John Taylor, The Japan Album (CD)
21.2000 - John Taylor, Japanese (EP)
22.2000 - John Taylor, Live Cuts (CD)
23.2001 - John Taylor, Techno for Two (CD)
24.2001 - Gerry Laffy: All Day Long (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
25.2005 - Chris Chesney & Gerry Laffy - Diabolical Liberties
26.2006 - Girl - Live Bootlegs - Tokyo 1980
27.2006 - Girl - The Rare DVD Collection
28.2007 - Gerry Laffy - The Icebox Studio Sessions (re-released 2012 as a limited edition signed twin album run)
29.2013 - Gerry Laffy - Just a Little Blurred
30.2013 - Girl - Live at The Greyhound (London) 1982

Girl-Live.jpg

tumblr_mi80h7kVom1qhhylto1_500.jpg

l.jpg

20100813065137dea.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Does Gerry still play today?? You BET!!! Here is his new stuff along with an Alan Holoway review

laffy+5.jpg

KARMIC GANGSTER

480912_513225698737217_1832899673_n.jpg

Fireworks review: Alan Holloway May 2013

Gerry Laffy
‘Just A Little Blurred’
Die Laughing Records

Gerry Laffy has been about for a few decades now, but is no doubt best remembered as the frontman and driving force behind Girl in the late 70s and early 80s. They are one of those bands that still have a small but loyal following, and it’s mainly for these loyalists that Laffy has self recorded ands released this album of new songs, playing everything and recording it all by himself. Okay, so that’s not 100% true (get used to it) but I will explain later.

Those expecting a flurry of retro glam rock will not be appeased by ‘Just A Little Blurred’, as this is the work of a man who has been around doing other stuff for thirty years, and the last thing he needs is to try and recapture a cool yet out of date sound. What you get is ten fresh tracks that don’t conform to any patter except the one that was in Laffy’s head when he was writing them. As a small bonus, there’s even a re-recording of Girl’s debut single ‘My Number’, (see! I told you I would explain) done for a bit of fun with longtime superfan Craig Bundy on bass. It’s slowed down from the original, but still a great song, and what’s the point doing a straight cover of one of your own songs? That aside, this is a very eclectic compilation of fresh material which contains, it has to be said, something for just about everyone except those who like thrashy ***** with shouty vocals, and to be honest **** the lot of ‘em is what I say.

There’s nothing too energetic on show, as the tracks are mostly mid range, although there’s certainly plenty of guitar widdling and some nice, chunky riffs. Opener ‘I’m Free’ is a very catchy piece, and there’s a very nice instrumental called ‘NHS’, whilst ‘Waiting‘ has a classic blues riff underpinning a catchy song. When Laffy slows things down I am reminded of Francis Dunnery‘s solo output, especially on the laid back and quite beautiful ‘Sunshine’ and the dreamlike ‘Love’. At the end of the album is a nice guitar led track called ‘Too High’ (and not in an altitude sense) that was recorded after the covers were printed, and it’s another one that shows that Laffy hasn’t lost any of his soul or guitar playing nous. It’s all quite refreshing in a way that a man trying to recapture his youth wouldn’t have been. For an example of that, see Rocky Shades latest Wildside Riot travesty.

‘Just A Little Blurred’ is a very nice album, covering a variety of moods. It’s never less than entertaining and well worth a listen. If that’s not enough for you, it’s only a fiver from Laffy’s own Facebook page, and for that he will throw in a previously unreleased (and very, very good) live Girl album, recorded at The Greyhound in Fulham back in 1982. It’s a total bootleg and as such captures the intimacy and friendliness of the gig, down to some fine onstage banter and a definite crowd noise that a mixing desk recording rarely captures. Bargain of the century? Quite possibly, so go and buy it.

You can still get your hands on cool GIRL and LAFFY CD's and DVD's too!!!

428533_513116415414812_875410289_n.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Putting my bookmark here for now, be back later to give this thread a thorough going over.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is new for me, so I am putting in my bookmark for further reading and research :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
GIRL....Great band ! Count me in MP.
Sadly never achieved their potential, their glam image didn't go down too well with the NWOBHM scene in the 80s. Despite the critics GIRL produced some fine albums, and had a few supports to bands others would have been envious....KISS.U.F.O. Pat Travers etc come to mind
Easy to say if GIRL had emerged a few years later in the glam 90s things would have been better.....
I think Phil Lewis and Phil Collen had the last laugh at their early critics with the success they have had with LA GUNS and DEF LEPPARD.
Gerry Laffy too....a fine musician

......Hmm favourite GIRL track? "Ice in the blood"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online