Georgie Fame appreciation thread

algernon

Reaction score
Anybody into him? He was a big deal in England circa mid-sixties...the first "keyboard" guy in a sea of guitar bands. I remember seeing him perform a hit in the mid-sixties on "hullabaloo" or maybe "Shindig" and really digging it, but he never really broke in the States. Then he had a really cool hit "Bonny and Clyde" which capitalized on the Warren Beatty smash flick. Recently I heard Marilyn McPhartland the Public Radio Jazz Queen reference him and it made me think that I really missed out on this guy. Anybody dig Georgie Fame?

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Re: Georgie Fame

He had one other American hit in February '65, called "Yeh Yeh". That and "Bonnie and Clyde" were the only two songs I ever heard by him, and the only two that made the Billboard top 40 charts.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Don't really know him. But he was featured in the British blues segment of the Martin Scorsese series on the blues on PBS. He told some great stories. The show's worth seeing. I particularly enjoyed scenes with interplay between Jeff Beck and Tom Jones, which struck me as a strange combination.

Spike

algernon

Reaction score

I'm thinking he's a cool cat who slipped in the cracks for me...if Marilyn McPhartland is talking about you today AND you hung out with John Lennon in the sixties...gotta be interesting.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

"Yeh Yeh" was a very cool record, almost "jazz rock" before such a thing existed. It was very uncharacteristic of the "British Invasion"--much more of a "swinging" groove going on rhythmically than the other Brit bands of the period. If this was typical of his early work, it probably deserves more exposure than it's gotten.

As for "Bonnie and Clyde", it was a trendy novelty record, and I never cared much for it.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I saw Georgie Fame with Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings. A great night and Georgie was unbelievable. This is one I really like.

Any Way The Wind Blows

:dance:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online