Gentle Giant (Official Thread)

Terra812

Reaction score
gg2.jpg

I noticed there wasn't Gentle Giant thread So...

Back in the 70's our local rock station, on Sunday nights, use to have an import show.
That was the first I heard of Gentle Giant. I picked up "The Missing Piece"... loved it.
Later I found both "The Power and the Glory" and "Octopus" at Record head...
enjoyed them some but at 15 I think it was a little too experimental for me to really enjoy fully.

Gentle Giant was a British progressive/experimental rock band. Formed in 1970 by three sons of a jazz trumpeter.
There is a lot of classical and medieval instrumentation and influence in their music.

gg1.jpg

All the members were very talented multi-instrumentalists.

* Phil Shulman - lead vocals, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, recorder, percussion (1970–72)
* Derek Shulman - lead vocals, saxophone, recorder, keyboards, bass, drums, percussion, Shulberry
* Ray Shulman - bass, trumpet, violin, vocals, viola, drums, percussion, recorder, guitar
* Kerry Minnear - keyboards, lead vocals (on recordings only), cello, vibraphone, xylophone, recorder, guitar, bass, drums
* Gary Green - guitar, mandolin, vocals, recorder, bass, drums, xylophone
* John "Pugwash" Weathers - drums, percussion, vibraphone, xylophone, vocals, guitar

Choosing between his family at home and life on the road, Phil leaves GG in 1972.

Studio albums

* Gentle Giant (1970)
* Acquiring the Taste (1971)
* Three Friends (1972)
* Octopus (1972)
* In a Glass House (1973)
* The Power and the Glory (1974)
* Free Hand (1975)
* Interview (1976)
* The Missing Piece (1977)
* Giant for a Day! (1978)
* Civilian (1980)

gg-covers.jpg

Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do it

I'm Turning Around

Funny Ways - 16mm Film - 1974

Memories of Old Days

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Gentle Giant

I am glad you took the time to make a thread for Gentle Giant, Terra.

I like GG, they are a very complex band with tons of talent. I like their jazzy symphonic feel.........they are a great band to 'chill' with :grinthumb

I have a couple of their albums:

Free Hand and The Power and the Glory.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

Making a Gentle Giant thread was constantly on my mind, but never got around to making one. And now you did. :grinthumb :grinthumb

I have all the albums on vinyl, Three Friends, Octopus and In a Glass House are my favourites.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I love Gentle Giant. Probably my favorite Progressive rock band but that is open to change constantly. Always a top 3 prog band for me. I have the S/T , Acquiring the Taste , Octopus, In a Glass House , The Power and the Glory,Free Hand and Interview. I like Acquiring the Taste, Octopus and Interview best so far but need more of their stuff :D

Terra812

Reaction score

I love grooveshark :bow: Is there a better music listening site out there?

Listened to all of Gentle Giant's self titled first album yesterday. I will say my music appreciation has matured in the last 33 years :D

Why Not

Nothing At all

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice intro Terra...:hab:

I have been a fan of Gentle Giant for over 30 years, ever since my brother bought a copy of their debut. I think I have all of their albums, at least all the essentials are laying around somewhere and I got a really nice Japanese version of "Octopus" last week, they are far more meticulous when it comes to making CD's than most other countries I can think of.

6DB54_Gentle_Giant_Octopus_UK_CoverJPG.jpg

I would have guessed this was a Roger Dean gatefold album cover even if he didn't sign it.:D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

:tup::df:
Big long time fan of Gentle Giant. Been a fan since 76 when I first heard Freehand. Then was blown away seeing them live in 77 and 78. I've got most of their studio albums(Debut, Acquiring the taste, Octopus, Three Friends, In a Glass House, The Power and the Glory, Freehand, The Missing Piece, Prologue) plus a bunch of live stuff. Favorite album is either Octopus or In a Glass House. I love their complexed and disjoined time signatures that make them such an interesting and unique band.

Last year Gary Green put together a great band that played Gentle Giant material called Three Friends. They did a great job of playing Gentle Giant tunes. Here is a shot from NEARfest

4747423171_9199a8df95.jpg

joe

Reaction score

One of the great classic prog bands. Thier first seven albums are exceptional. The live album "King Biscuit Flower Hour" is one of the best live albums from a prog band from the '70's IMO.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online