1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genealogy Research

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by opera races, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tray73

Tray73 இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

I would love to trace my family tree and have tried a couple of geneology sites but I never seem to get very far. What set off my interest was reading some memoirs my great aunt wrote relating all the stories her mother (my great-grandmother) had told her concerning her own life growing up and that of her parents ( my great-great grandparents) in the 1800's. A copy of the memoirs are actually in one of our local libraries. My great aunt had a real way with words and it was so interesting to read and it's left me wanting to find out more. Like Architect I'd be grateful for some advice eg which sites do any of you recommend?

2. Syd

Syd Senior Member

I've also tried to see where my last name comes from. Some people say Spain, other people say Greece i've even read some people saying its scandinavian or something. Apparently Greece is the most likely origin, then it somehow changed in Spain or something. Not sure how to get real information, though.

3. zengac

zengac Certified Zeppelinologist

Okay well, this is right up my alley! I have been researching my family history for about 20 years now. I have Italian, Irish and Czech ancestry. I started with my Italian ancestors because I had an aunt that had some information so I had a good foundation. But in the past few years, I've been working mostly on my Irish and Czech records. I have found some great things! I've been a member on ancestry.com for a while now and one of the best I've encountered is that I have met tons of people that are related to my ancestors .. brothers and sisters of my ancestors and what's great about that is that they have all kinds of things .. like letters, pictures, etc. related to my family! One of them was able to provide me with this picture of my great, great grandparents .. I had never seen them before!
    [​IMG]

On my Czech side, I have a great grandfather that kept a journal all of his life and he talked about this couple that he and my great grandmother were friends with.. I was able to find ancestors of this couple on ancestry and now we're friends! But I have found documents in Italy and the Czech Republic going back to the 1800's and I know that my Irish ancestors came to the US in the early 1800's. I have lots of good resources too so if anyone is interested, PM me .. I could go on and on about this! :grinthumb

4. zengac

zengac Certified Zeppelinologist

https://www.familysearch.org/ This one is a free site .. It's the Mormon Church. They have the largest collection of genealogical records. Their main library is in Utah but they have satellite centers all over the place. You don't have to be Mormon and they are free to use. If you find a record, you can order the microfilm that has the document from Utah. They will send the film to your local center and you "rent" it for about $5. You can't take the film out of the center but you can view it there and make a copy and they are always very helpful.

5. Panthera Tigris

Panthera Tigris Banned

My late mother did it for over 30 years. She was so good at it others tried to hire her for their families, but she was only interested in ours. She traced our family lines all the way back into the middle ages.

She got a lot of information from the Mormon center out in Utah. Not sure what it's called, but they have extensive records of everyone. We don't have anyone in our background who was ever Mormon, but they have those records nonetheless.

6. Lynch

Lynch Here for the cookies and the tunes

I can trace my family tree back about 5 generations on my dad's side and 4 on my moms. Honestly, thats about as far back as I am interested.