Gene Simmons VS. Kurt Cobain

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateguitar.com

29916_ver1380901916.jpg

Kiss bassist Gene Simmons shared his grim perspective of the music industry and its current state, pointing out that in his book, late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain and late singer Amy Winehouse simply can't count among the music icons. Gene reached the subject while discussing the importance of major record labels and corporate music business. Initially, the bassist kicked off talking about piracy. "The internet's a fascinating experiment, but ultimately it's a very sad state of affairs for the new bands." he told Team Rock Radio. "There won't be another Beatles or another Prince or another KISS because there isn't that support system, there's no record companies 'cause kids have decided they can download and fileshare and bypass paying the artists what they rightfully should be getting." Simmons then decided to compare the 1958 - 1983 period with post-1984 era, naming artists of each time that can be considered as definite music icons. "There was once upon a time a corporate record company institution which paid you money that you never had to pay back, even if your record bumped," he said, just to start naming "100 iconic superstars from 1958 until 1983." "Let me see - Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, the Who and just on and on. And through the '70s - Aerosmith, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Yes ... Now from 1984 until today, name one superstar that's bigger than their music, and not just somebody that's recorded one or two records, but another Queen or another AC/DC ... None, you can't name one." Simmons then focused on specific examples, saying, "Kurt Cobain - no, that's one or two records, that's not enough. Amy Winehouse - that's one or two records, that's not enough. What, just 'cause you died that makes you an icon? No, no." Gene finally noted that modern bands are currently trying out the "Radiohead model" where fans pay whichever amount of money they want for the record. "But it doesn't work, doesn't it?" he concluded.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
He has a valid point, as far as how the music gets out there. It's readily available whenever a person wants to hear it.

Back in the 'olden days', you waited to hear the music, either on the radio, or going down to the record store when it was released.

On the radio, you simply had no say at all. (even the request lines were a shaky enterprise, at best)

Of course, once you had the record, you could hear it as often as you liked. But that wait... it gave you time to anticipate. It gave the bands a bit of mystique, you know?

So, as far as that goes, I think Gene's got a fair point.

As far as an act being a legend or icon or whatever, Gene's talking straight out of his a$$.

If Cobain's generation see him as an icon, that's their right. Same with Winehouse.

Portraying them as minimal to music is just another of his offhand ways to tout his band as being better.

Gene, interestingly enough, feels Nirvana didn't have enough albums to qualify. But Hendrix did.

Last I checked, they both had 3 studio records.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I think he was referring to singles that charted but even there it would be very close if not favoring Cobain. I also agree with him in regards to how pop acts are 'getting out there' now compared to then and think this has a direct impact on quality. If all you have to do is look cool on a video music is in for another rough few decades.

But I also agree that he is being his usual bombastic (because jackasstic isn't a real word) self in regards to Winehouse or Cobain as icons. Like Vehicle said, that is a matter entirely up to the generation that embraces their music and I think in Kurt's case the verdict is already in.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol Gene Simmons.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain Gene does this specifically to get a reaction from people, who might otherwise ignore him altogether. After all if all he ever did was say how great everyone was and shoot rainbows out his asshole nobody would care.;)

Every generation can pick whomever they like as their 'iconic' artist/band, of course I have my own views on that as well.:D

Migmagnific

Reaction score
Its a rule of nature, if you dont adapt u will just die.
So what if kids prefer free music from internet. There are ways to still make money, there are clear examples like itunes, spotify, grooveshark...

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Illegal downloads are a reaction to the artificially high prices of CDs at the time of their peak sales. Vinyl albums and cassettes were an enormous ripoff too. A reasonably priced compromise would have survived. Instead, record companies, musicians and genuine fans are paying the price of corporate greed.

Neil Young said mp3s are the equivalent of radio airplay and he could be right. Real fans will want CD quality, as long as it is high quality. After all, home taping never did kill music.

Gene Simmons should not be criticising as he has made a pretty good living from the record industry by exploiting the marketing of 'products'. I haven't read the book, but he appears to be incorrect about The Beatles - they had to pay for airplay on commercial stations.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah... insightful Simmons strikes again :rolleyes:

I really think LG hit the nail on the head, he spouts drivel such as this to garner attention.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
ultimateguitar.com

29916_ver1380901916.jpg

from 1984 until today, name one superstar that's bigger than their music, and not just somebody that's recorded one or two records, but another Queen or another AC/DC ... None, you can't name one." Simmons then focused on specific examples, saying, "Kurt Cobain - no, that's one or two records, that's not enough. Amy Winehouse - that's one or two records, that's not enough. What, just 'cause you died that makes you an icon? No, no."

^^^ THIS is a honest and truthful as it gets and an incredibly valid point!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online