Release Date: 1970
Run Time: 35:01
Vocals: Paul Rodgers
Guitarist: Paul Kossoff
Bassist: Andy Fraser
Drums: Simon Kirke

Tracks

1. Fire and Water

This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It also is the song that the album is named after. The chorus is catchy and the riff is raw.

2. Oh I Wept

The start of this song is very slow. Paul Rodgers comes in and his vocals just capture you. This song does pick up after a while with a decent guitar solo. However, this is the weakest song on the album.

3. Remember

This song has a more pop feel to it. The guitar riff is solid but the real winner are the vocals. Rodgers has moments of chuckles. You can tell he is trying to sing for the ladies on this one.

4. Heavy Load

Not the best song on the album but not the worst. The band really comes together in the middle but it isn't a mind blowing performance.

5. Mr. Big

This is probably my favorite song from the band. As soon as it opens with a catchy drum beat you know it is going to be special. The guitar then comes in slowly. Then the bass line comes in giving you chills. This song has so much space in it. The guitar solo is just amazing. The song ends with a brilliant bass solo by Mr. Fraser. Live versions are better than the album version by far though.

6. Don't Say You Love Me

This is a ballad type song. You can feel the pain in Rodgers' voice. "Don't say you love me because, I know it would be just a lie..." The guitar isn't overpowering but makes you feel the heartbreak the lyrics explain. This is a perfect placement of a slow song after the bashing of Mr. Big and what is coming next.

7. All Right Now

Their best known track by far. It has a perfect riff, drum beat, bass line, and vocal arrangement. I could say more but I'm sure you've heard this song more than a few times.

Final Thoughts

If Free would have made a couple more albums as strong as this one then they wouldn't be underrated and mostly unheard of. They were one of the best blues bands by far. This was their third album and they were all under 21 years old. Andy Fraser was just 19. That to me is just amazing due to the fact on how great the songs actually are. I give this album a 9 out of 10. They only lose a point on not enough music. Only 7 songs isn't enough especially when you want more. They re-issued thie album twice with some extra songs and alternate takes.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: Fire and Water - Free

What?...two weeks and no one relpied to this thread? :wtf:

''Houston we have a problem...''

:heheh:

I'm a big fan of the first two Free albums - I'd say they're great albums and ''Fire And Water'' is a good album. Personally, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.

''All Right Now'', ''Mr. Big'', are the classic tracks, no doubt...

and ''Don't Say You Love Me'' is the underrated gem on this album.

''Oh I Wept'' is good as well.

I must say on the deluxe edition of this album with the new mix of ''Remember'' is better than the original mix, imo...and the same thing with '' Oh I Wept'' with the alternate vocal from Paul Rodgers.

Very cool...

Nice write up, FireandWater!

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online