Franz Peter Schubert

Oblivion

Reaction score
Franz_Schubert1.jpg
He was an Austrian composer. He wrote some 600 Lieder, nine symphonies (including the famous "Unfinished Symphony"), liturgical music, operas, some incidental music, and a large body of chamber and solo piano music. He is particularly noted for his original melodic and harmonic writing.

While Schubert had a close circle of friends and associates who admired his work (amongst them the prominent singer Johann Michael Vogl), wide appreciation of his music during his lifetime was limited at best. He was never able to secure adequate permanent employment, and for most of his career he relied on the support of friends and family. He made some money from published works, and occasionally gave private musical instruction. In the last year of his life he began to receive wider acclaim. He died at the age of 31 of typhoid fever.

Interest in Schubert's work increased dramatically in the decades following his death. Composers like Franz Liszt, Robert Schumann and Felix Mendelssohn discovered, collected, and championed his works in the 19th century, as did musicologist Sir George Grove. Franz Schubert is now widely considered to be one of the greatest composers in the Western tradition.

:tongue: Now why did I pick Schubert to be my first classic post? Because he is the one that got me into classical music...
The first classic music cd I ever listened to with an active mind and without dying of boredom was "death and the maiden" by him. While passing the classic section, on my way to the metal section, the cover caught my eye... (can't imagine why) I bought the album (it was 10 bucks) and the same day went back for more.

music-0407SchubertDeath.jpg

From that album:

And a piano sonata:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Franz Schubert, I think I have about 15 of his CD's now. He was not very highly regarded for many years, but people have had a change of heart and now he is considered one of the best of his time.

Nice to have some company in here OB.:)

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Although he wrote 9 Symphonies, by far his best in my opinion is "The Great" or the 9th. It was a sign of his maturity as a composer to create a full sized orchestral piece, and the 9th achieved that for him.

I have all of his symphonies, but if you are just looking for a place to start then I would recommend this one.

My own copy, done by Norrington and the London Classical Players who's specialty is using the original instruments when the piece was composed, and the composer's notation, to give it an air of authenticity.

Schuberts9thSymphonyFront_2.jpg

Schuberts9thSymphonyBack.jpg

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
The Great CM and the Unfinished are both big time favorites of mine.

In addition to "Death and the Maiden," try his "Trout" quintet as well. He produced some absolutely beautiful chamber music. And while I know lieder aren't everyone's cup of tea, he was great at that as well. Try "An die Musik":

or my personal favorite, "Der Erlkönig." I won't try to translate here - there are plenty of places on the web where you can find it in english. Suffice it to say it's kind of creepy.

And of course, without Schubert's lieder, there would have been no need for Dudley Moore's "Die Flabbergast" from Beyond the Fringe. ;)

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The "Trout Quintet" was going to be my next Schubert post. You are right on the money Craig, his chamber/piano works are his specialty, not a big fan of Lieders as a rule. It's kind of funny, I love a good chorus/chorale work in a symphony, but opera and lieders not so much.

Here's my copy, and OB if you like Death & The Maiden you should check this one out too. I'll see if I can find a better picture, this is the Melos Quartet's version and it's considered one of the best interpretations of this piece.

SchubertTroutQuintet.jpg

Oblivion

Reaction score
2b45b340dca0778b16d37010.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is my version :) I have almost everything there is to be found on the web of his works... but death and the maiden and the trout quintet I have on original cd.

opera races

Reaction score
The Unfinished Symphony (first movement) is a favorite of mine. It has a nice cello part. :D I did get to play that one. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online