Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004)

Syd

Reaction score
Franz Ferdinand

Franz-Ferdinand.png

2004 proved to be one of the best years music has seen for a long time. It had some of the best debut albums, the revival of some bands that had seemed to lose their path and in some cases the last studio albums of bands that really generated a lot of media attention. Long story short, it was a year that defined the rest of decade because it was filled with releases of bands and artists that would dominate the charts and critical acclaim for all that was left of the decade and until this very day.

For example we had the debut albums of Arcade Fire (Funeral), The Killers (Hot Fuss), Keane (Hopes And Fears), Kanye West (The College Dropout). Bands like Green Day (American Idiot) and U2 (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb) received ovations all across the world for their works and somehow resucitated their careers. What can we say about the long-lost SmiLe by 60's genius Brian Wilson? People had waited decades to see it on stores and it finally was there. Also the final album (so far) by british band The Libertines was received with much enthusiasm.

But between all those bands, albums and great music we enjoyed, there was a small band from Glasgow that made some different music. Songs that reminded us of past decades, songs to which you could dance to and at the same time enjoy alone at home. This band (as you could have guessed from the title) is Franz Ferdinand.

Often overlooked (this forum is not the exception), this band created music that was fresh air to a scene that was still dominated by pop shows. But their weird and catchy songs soon made headlines and people started wondering about this revival of music from past years. Franz Ferdinand was a follow-up for bands like The Libertines and The Strokes, which seemed to take their inspirations from 60-70-80's music and transform it into songs for the new millenium. It's art-rock for the 21st century, the weirdness of Roxy Music blending with todays trends. You can notice from their videos the retro inspiration they had.

1. "Jacqueline"
2. "Tell Her Tonight"
3. "Take Me Out"
4. "The Dark of the Matinée"
5. "Auf Achse"
6. "Cheating on You"
7. "This Fire"
8. "Darts of Pleasure"
9. "Michael"
10. "Come on Home"
11. "40'"

Now most of you must have heard one of their 5 singles from their debut album (Most likely "Take Me Out", "Matinée" or "This Fire"). But that's not all this album has to offer. From the beginning in 'Jaqueline' starting slow and acoustic you wouldn't guess the thrill for which you're in, since the band blends the rythm section so well, you will find yourself tapping your feet at the sound of the beat. It's the strongest of their 3 albums in my opinion, and it's a record that will make you renew your faith on present-day music, for those of you who think Justin Bieber or Jonas Brothers is everything the world has to offer nowadays.

Personal Highlights: Jaqueline, Matinée, This Fire, Darts Of Pleasure.

Personal Rating: 92/100

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Easily one of my favorite albums in my lifetime. I remember picking this one up a while back, I still remember how many times I listened to Take Me Out. Truly one of my favorite bands, it's a shame I don't listen to them anymore.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am not familiar with this band, which doesn't surprise me in the least, there are a ton of new bands that have zoomed right past me.

From the two videos posted, I can say the music is catchy, and the lyrics are somewhat humorous. They remind me of the British pop bands that have come before them, way before them.

I do like the song "Matinee" :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

^You should give This Fire a listen as well. It's another great song off this album:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

They are pretty tight on vocal harmony.......I like that song also.

Hmm...is this the only album by Franz Ferdinand?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank you....:)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I may have to pick this album up again for myself now. I used to have like...2 copies, and I can't find either of them.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I'm not a HUGE fan but they do have some cool tracks! I own the album that was reviewed and I can't believe no ones mentioned my favorite:

Micheal

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online