Former RAINBOW/DIO Bassist JIMMY BAIN Dead At 68

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

jimmybainsolo2016_638.jpg

According to a number of industry sources, including ex-DIO drummer Simon Wright, former RAINBOW and DIO bassist Jimmy Bain has passed away at the age of 68. The same information was posted on Instagram by Diana Deville, a longtime employee of Wendy Dio's Niji Management. More details about his death will be posted here as soon as they become available.

Back in 2012, Bain made headlines when he was arrested in Burbank, California on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs.

Since 2013, Bain has been a member of LAST IN LINE, also featuring his fellow ex-DIO bandmates Vivian Campbell and Vinny Appice along with singer Andrew Freeman.

LAST IN LINE performed in Miami, Florida on January 20 and is currently taking part in DEF LEPPARD's inaugural "Hysteria On The High Seas" cruise.

In an interview, Bain stated about his time with DIO: "Towards the end of DIO, it got to be too much though, with the stage show and the spiders and the guitar that shot lasers. When we first started on 'Holy Diver', playing with half a drum kit and all, we just knew it was magic. I wrote a lot on the first two albums but it just got harder and harder to come up with stuff. We all thought 'Last In Line' was a bit smooth, although I liked everything about it, the cover, everything. By the time 'Sacred Heart' happened, I looked at that monster on the cover and thought, he's laughing at me now!"

He continued: "Touring was always a blast. I was famous for being lit up and still being able to play. I even fell over a few times. It was like it was part of the show. Ronnie and I got pissed together a few times but I always got carried away and had to be carried to the limo and stuff. But as long as I played live and was creative and wrote songs, it didn't matter. Toward the end, Ronnie was having fights with Viv, and you get to a point where you just think you've got it, and you think you can bring in keyboards and play with the arrangements. I always thought we had such a unique sound, we could just be DIO. We didn't have to try write like anybody else."

Read more at Former Rainbow/Dio Bassist Jimmy Bain Dead At 68 - Blabbermouth.net

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
From 'Classic Rock' -

Dio, Rainbow and Last In Line bassist Jimmy Bain has died at the age of 68, it's been reported by close friends.

He was gearing up for the launch of Last In Line’s debut album later this month, and the band were taking part in Def Leppard’s cruising festival in the Caribbean.

No official statement has yet been made.

Bain played on Rainbow’s second album, Rising, in 1976, before being fired a year later. He went on to guest with Thin Lizzy and worked in frontman Phil Lynott’s solo band, before forming Wild Horses with ex-Lizzy guitarist Brian Robertson.

He appeared on Gary Moore’s 1983 album Dirty Fingers before signing up for Dio and playing on seven albums with vocalist Ronnie James Dio, from 1983 debut Holy Diver to 2002’s Killing The Dragon.

The original Dio lineup – including Def Leppard’s Viv Campbell, Vinny Appice and Claude Schnell – reformed in 2012 under the name Last In Line. Their debut record Heavy Crown, featuring singer Andrew Freeman but without keyboardist Schnell, is to be released on February 20.

Motorhead’s Phil Campbell has paid tribute, saying: “Jimmy Bain was a true musician and songwriter. He was involved and wrote more than you probably imagine.”

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine says: “I'm saddened by the loss of my friend. Godspeed!” Former Whitesnake guitarist Doug Aldrich says: “Jimmy Bain was a sweet soul. God Bless him. Rest now, brother.”

Among other early tributes to Bain were those from Thin Lizzy, Neil Murray and Simon Wright.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Terrible thought that 3 of the Classic Rainbow Rising line up are no longer with us ....Dio.Powell and now Bain

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Awesome bassist. One who inspired and continues to inspire. Very sad news.

R.I.P..Jimmy Bain ..

510x287_Getty_Images_148302203.jpg

Jimmy is in the center. Flanked to his left by Cozy Powell ( RIP ) & RDJ ( RIP ).

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online