Folk Album Anthology#10: Spirogyra-St. Radiguns

joe

Reaction score
Spirogyra was often compared to Comus but not as bizzare, dark, and paganesque as thier acid folk cousins. St. Radiguns released in 1971 was rather unique and has become an essential listen to prog/acid folk genre along with Comus' First Utterance. The album resembles the basic template of folk rock of the day incorporating acoustics guitars, one or two vocalists usually consisting of male and female vox, and other various instruments but most notably the violin, keys, and the bass.

Hailing from Canterbury, Spirogyra doesn't really fit into the sound of of thier contemparies from that region at that time though there is some influences and passages but unique in thier own way. Again, engaging vocals and accessible melodies, but the real show is the violin and bass and to a lesser extent the keys. An intriguing, captivating folk craft.

61MLfOZff-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hah!!...finally one of your Obscure bands that I do know a little about. I have 3 of their albums Bells Boots & Shambles, and Old Boot Wine and the one you posted.:D

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have heard of these but not really listened, maybe I will get a compilation or something, sounds good to me:)

joe

Reaction score
Hah!!...finally one of your Obscure bands that I do know a little about. I have 3 of their albums Bells Boots & Shambles, and Old Boot Wine and the one you posted.:D

Get out of town LG. No way.:Dj/k

I have heard of these but not really listened, maybe I will get a compilation or something, sounds good to me:)

I'm sure there is a compilation. St. Radiguns is thier best IMO with Bells, Boots, and Shambles a close second.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.