Folk Album Anthology#1: Oriental Sunshine-Dedicated To The Bird We Love

joe

Reaction score
Released in 1969, Dedicated To The Bird We Love by Oriental Sunshine from Norway these hippies fuse psych/prog folk with Indo-Raga rock which is obviously influenced by The Beatles and thier eastern music dabblings with thier icon Ravi Shankar and other late '60's psychedelic bands with the use of the sitar and tabla percussions. Fantastic melodies and great female fronted vocals. A beautiful serene journey.

Oriental%2BSunshine.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Really different Joe,,,another band I have never heard before. I do like some Sitar/tabla music once in a while, and the mixture of western folk and Indian instruments sounds good to me.

joe

Reaction score
I'm not a huge folkie LG, however I do like a lot of it, especially from the late '60's to the mid '70's.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey Joe, I told you I'd follow you down this road! Now I know you don't like bullshitting so I'll be honest! This is the first piece of 60's music I've heard from you that I don't care for. I think the whole vibe might be TOO serene for me and while upon initial impact the vocals may sound nice it just becomes too much. I don't really hear much change throughout or any real character in her voice which in my world of Folk doesn't define the characteristics of what i look for in said genre. The instrumentation is creative and varied though and they are talented but I was begging for a quick acoustic guitar strum to come out of the haze. If you don't mind I'd still like to check out your series as I think I'll benefit from being exposed to the genre more through your obscure finds! :grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
Soot, I like your no BS. I appreciate you being straight forward. Your opinion does hold weight with me and I have to agree on some your points.

Too serene. Ya, you could say that. This music is one where you have to be in the "mood" for. It's something I don't listen to very often and I have to be in a certain frame of mind. No question, it's an aquired taste. Doesn't really fit in with the contemporary folk of the time.

Maybe some Yellow Sunshine would help would change your opinion Soot.:heheh:

Absolutely I don't mind you following along. Feel free to voice your opinion anytime. I welcome it.:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Soot, I like your no BS. I appreciate you being straight forward. Your opinion does hold weight with me and I have to agree on some your points.

Too serene. Ya, you could say that. This music is one where you have to be in the "mood" for. It's something I don't listen to very often and I have to be in a certain frame of mind. No question, it's an aquired taste. Doesn't really fit in with the contemporary folk of the time.

Maybe some Yellow Sunshine would help would change your opinion Soot.:heheh:

Absolutely I don't mind you following along. Feel free to voice your opinion anytime. I welcome it.:grinthumb

I had to look up Yellow Sunshine to see that it was Acid! :heheh: Maybe I'm just not meant to be a psychedelic dude Joe! :heheh: I appreciate that you don't mind the criticism! I appreciate the same myself! It means someone has been listening! So onward with the journey and we'll see if we cross like paths down the road again! :cheers2

joe

Reaction score
^^^Instead of being born in 1965, I would of liked to have been 15 years old at that time.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I just want to be ahead of all music somehow! I wouldn't of wanted to be born in the 60's because of what I know now I would've missed for artists! Now I have both those AND the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2,000's on artist to listen to. When I die it'll be sad because music will keep going on and I'll miss it! :omg: I suppose being their for the 60's movement when certain things were fresh and vibrant would be appealing though and I understand where you are coming from Joe. I guess I don't think about cultural changes, culture and counterculture, changes in overall musical landscape as much myself Joe! :)

joe

Reaction score
I just want to be ahead of all music somehow! I wouldn't of wanted to be born in the 60's because of what I know now I would've missed for artists! Now I have both those AND the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2,000's on artist to listen to.

Very good point Soot.

I'd like to think I'd still be alive if I was born in 1950.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online