Flotsam and Jetsam (Official Thread)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
In the house to dedicate a thread to one of my all-time favorite metal groups, one who I played on the radio very frequently back in the day.

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM

flotsamgroup202.jpg

Flotsam and Jetsam Official Website

Formed in Phoenix, Arizona during 1981 under the original name of Paradox, Flotsam and Jetsam is a veteran metal group who have invested roughly thirty years into the heavy metal genre.

Originally boasting bassist Jason Newsted, who would later go on to greater fame in Metallica, Flotsam and Jetsam has recorded ten studio albums as a group and several more single/ep length recordings.

While unable to boast an original lineup nowadays, Flotsam and Jetsam has enjoyed relatively good continuity with all of their current members each having logged at least 10+ years in the band. F & J has also endured fewer lineup changes than metal bands of their ilk commonly do.

Over the years, Flotsam and Jetsam has been led by long-time vocalist Eric "A.K." Knutson who, aside from a brief departure in the early 2000's, has remained with the band through thick and thin.

Upon leaving Flotsam and Jetsam, Eric Knutson attempted to pursue the country music genre with a group named The A.K. Corral. F & J replaced Knutson with ex-Helstar vocalist James Rivera who did complete a tour or two with Flotsam and Jetsam during 2001-2002. Shortly after this period, vocalist Eric Knutson rejoined Flotsam and Jetsam, where he has remained ever since.

Below you will find a listing of Flotsam and Jetsam's catalog of studio work. My personal favorites are Cuatro, High and Unnatural Selection (the latter of which happens to be the least favorite of most of their fans).

Discography:

Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986, Metal Blade)
No Place for Disgrace (1988, Elektra Records)
When the Storm Comes Down (1990, MCA Records)
Cuatro (1992, MCA Records)
Drift (1995, MCA Records)
High (1997, Metal Blade)
Unnatural Selection (1999, Metal Blade)
My God (2001, Metal Blade)
Dreams of Death (2005, Crash Music)
The Cold (2010)
Ugly Noise (2012)
No Place for Disgrace 2014 (2014)
Flotsam and Jetsam (2016)
The End of Chaos (2019)
Blood in the Water (2021)

With my least favorite part of a band thread out of the way (the talking), it is time to dive in and let the music do the talking from here on in. Unless of course the rest of you would like to dive in with your comments and videos, since I'm hoping this thread will be read by someone!

Below, you will see a mix of Flotsam and Jetsam music which I will do my best to keep in some sort of chronological order.

I know I missed a key song or two but I tried to cover as many of their albums as possible, in addition to throwing in a vintage live recording with Newsted on bass.

I am counting on some of our metal experts here to fill in a few of the Flotsam and Jetsam blanks I delibrately left open, by the way :grinthumb

MP edit: Video removed from youtube

MO Edit : Video removed from youtube

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Flotsam and Jetsam

I have heard of Flotsam & Jetsam before, especially in the early 90's. They use to get plenty of radio time back then. I never paid a whole lot of attention to their music during that time, thrash just wasn't my thing back then. I do have No Place For Disgrace *1988*

520Jetsam%2520No%2520Place%2520For%2520Disgrace--f.jpg

No Place for Disgrace, total thrash heaven!

benleb

Reaction score

Bought Doomsday for the Deceiver when it came and it has ever since remained my #1 favorite thrash metal album of all time!

E-Z

Reaction score

I once had the NO PLACE FOR DISGRACE cd back about 12-13 years ago and possibly played it once all the way through but they never really done anything for me, thought that they were a 2nd division thrash metal band to be honest the only thing of note being that JASON NEWSTEAD future METALLICA bass player was in the line up.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I would have plenty of Flotsam in my collection if they actually sold them here, I will order at least the Doomsday album.

E-Z

Reaction score

I mite be wrong here but i vaguely recall playing NO PLACE FOR DISGRACE (or it could have been DOOMSDAY FOR THE DECEIVER?) and one of the numbers on it started off as a thrash metal track then it kinda changed to 'progressive rock' during the middle section then it ended up as a thrash metal track again, all a bit strange to be honest??. :omg:

Force 10

Reaction score

I have heard of Flotsam & Jetsam before, especially in the early 90's. They use to get plenty of radio time back then. I never paid a whole lot of attention to their music during that time, thrash just wasn't my thing back then. I do have No Place For Disgrace *1988*

520Jetsam%2520No%2520Place%2520For%2520Disgrace--f.jpg

No Place for Disgrace, total thrash heaven!
+1 I haven't ventured too far out of No Place For Disgrace, but I have it and it is an amazing album! NPFD Is some of the best Thrash Metal I have ever heard.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I have most of their CDs and saw them live w/ Death Angel and Armored Saint about 5 years ago. All three bands were awesome. Really cool band :grinthumb

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

Flotsam and Jetsam are a great band! Saw them live in Austin in the 90's!

E-Z

Reaction score

The thing about this thrash metal band was that they didn't mean a thing outside of the USA. Overhere in the UK nobody had heard of them except a few hundred thrasher's me included.

When Cliff Burton of Metallica got himself accidently killed on the road and Jason Newstead stepped in to replace him that was the only time that this bands name was ever mentioned in the UK.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online