H

halcyon days

Re: New Flaming Lips!

that's "hot" after almost 4 years i'm ready for some new stuff

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

I finally got around to hearing "At War with the Mystics" and I like it quite a bit.
good points and bad points.
flaminglips.jpg

good point: less 'string synth'. I think they've been overdoing this sound at least since 'Zaireeka' it is nearly absent here. yay.
bad point: when you've written so many songs, new songs remind you of old songs.
good: sometimes they are nearly as good or better.
g: like "yoshimi" they seem to be both goofing off and getting serious at the same time
it suits them
b: not everybody seems to think so and I've gotta admit, I've only spun it two or three times. generally it takes me 6 or 7 spins to have an opinion. Either I'm getting old or I think I've got it squared away already.
GGG: that's not TOO bad a thing. it's a more immediate album in a lot of ways. it still has pretty, naval gazy things but it's also the most ROCK they've sounded in a while.

I like it. I think I rank it alongside their last couple efforts which I rank mighty high indeed. they aren't treading any new ground but they love what they do and I think they get that love in the grooves.

I can't get 'the yeah yeah yeah yeah song' out of my head.
so far, that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I think I like it as much as I liked Yoshimi. Which is really saying a lot since I think Yoshimi is their best album to date. This band just grows on me the more I listen to them.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

I listened to 'Yoshimi' for nearly a MONTH before I listened to anything else.
but then, it's a different sort of album. like a Floyd album or Radiohead, where every track sounds great exactly where it is.

'Mystics' seems more like a T-Rex album. I love T-Rex albums. In fact, I've listened to "Electric Warrior" almost as much as '..mystics' lately. It just sort of put me in the mood for that sort of thing.

i'm not complaining.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online