Flac

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I could tell you what I would do with them but I don't want to be rude in your thread Harkat...:lmao:

MP3's are fine for portable music, and evaluating new bands/albums etc., but for me I want the best lossless version of an album I really like so once I get that the MP3's are history.

Of course my friend I have been collecting music for almost 40 years, so I've got a head start on you.:cheers:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can be rude, LG, that is acceptable. :heheh:

I dont have any sophisticated stereo equipment so I personally am satisfied with a 320 kbps MP3, which means I don't hear any differences in sound quality between a flac/wav vs. 320 mp3.

The only flaw in my digital collection is I wont be able to convert to a flac or wav. I see no need to rip my collection of CD's to flac unless I was offering them up for download (which I dont do). If I was sharing my collection, I would share the best file possible, which would be a flac :grinthumb

Harkat

Reaction score
Hahaha, I would LG but then I would have nothing to listen to.
Perhaps in the future I will be able to swap over all or most of my stuff to lossless :D

Harkat

Reaction score

:lmao:
Yes, you can, I know that you wont be flaming me :grinthumb

I dont have any sophisticated stereo equipment so I personally am satisfied with a 320 kbps MP3, which means I don't hear any differences in sound quality between a flac/wav vs. 320 mp3.

Likewise. I plan to sometime in the future move up with some better equipment :****:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

The only flaw in my digital collection is I wont be able to convert to a flac or wav. I see no need to rip my collection of CD's to flac unless I was offering them up for download (which I dont do). If I was sharing my collection, I would share the best file possible, which would be a flac :grinthumb

Having lost 100's of my vinyl albums in a fire years ago, and then had 100's of my CD's stolen a few years ago, I now rip a copy of Any CD I buy or OOP album I pick up, that way I will always be able to make a Proper copy as good as the original. Besides there are many treasures you can't buy anymore and once I have a copy I make a back-up. I have sent many friends Perfect copies of OOP albums for their libraries as well, it's a "Gang" thing.:****:

:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would just die if I lost my collection.........I have been collecting for close to 40 years myself. I have some albums in vinyl, 8 track, cassette, and CD. One of these days, I am going to sit down and try to come up with a dollar figure on my collection.............I could probably buy myself a new Escalade with what I have spent on music in 40 years.

:heheh:

Reaction score
I found these in my own computer...

Data file compression is employed in order to reduce bandwidth, file transfer time, and/or storage requirements. A digital recording (such as a CD) encoded to the FLAC Audio format can be decompressed into an identical copy of the original audio data.

Files encoded to FLAC lossless, and Apple Lossless format as well, are typically reduced to about half of the original size, with data transfer rates and bandwidth requirements being reduced accordingly.

From the audiophile focus on sound, there is no difference between WAV (pcm) and any of the lossless compression systems. These include FLAC, MLP, WMA-lossless, AAC-lossless, etc. By definition, lossless means nothing is lost.

WAV files have two downsides. They are bigger and you can't tag them. Tags help library management, and managing a large library is a big deal. If you have a tiny library, it doesn't matter at all.

FLAC files contain the compete range of the music as it was taped.
Please note the difference between lossless (SHN, APE, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc) and lossy (MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA, etc) compression types.
Lossy files, i.e. MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA, are compression techniques that cut off different ranges of the music in order to save file space.
Converting an MP3 file to FLAC, SHN, or APE will only bloat the size of the file and will not restore what was lost during compression.

I ONLY... NOTE ONLY... collect EVERYTHING in the FLAC format. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I will take the odd MP3 just to evaluate a band/album but like you I only want FLAC's or APE's.(APE is very popular in Europe and Russia and is a good codec as well.)

Harkat

Reaction score
I am playing around with the EAC that you linked me to.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online