The Mayor of Sunset Strip
Quadrophenia
Tommy
U2: Rattle and Hum
The Grateful Dead Movie
Yessongs
Rust Never Sleeps
Urgh! A Music War
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (aka the worst movie musical ever filmed)
The Last Waltz
The Song Remains the Same
200 Motels
The Wall
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
You're Gonna Miss Me
The Harder They Come
Bird
The Monkees: Head
24 Hour Party People
Dig!
This is It

I wonder how long it will for someone to make a Kurt Cobain bio-pic? I'll bet it's sooner rather than later.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
I've got the dvd 'Joy Division - Under Review'. Its really good - tells the history of the band, with lots of photos, footage, and interviews, and analyzes their evolution and discography pretty thoroughly, IMO. I never realized how important Martin Hannett was to the sound of Joy Division's records before watching this. Someone lent me 'Control' recently but I still haven't watched it.

Another good dvd about the music industry is 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' - its about the Funk Brothers, the band that backed up all of the Motown singers. The Funk Bros. never really received the recognition they deserved, they were some astounding musicians who played on some of the biggest hits of the 1960s, but got treated like crap by Berry Gordy (who ran Motown Records).

"End of the Century - The Story of the Ramones" is an excellent film too. I got this one a couple of months ago and I liked it so much I watched it 3 times in a row! (I never do that with dvds.)

I recently saw ANVIL and have to agree that it is immensely entertaining. I'm not a big fan of their music, but their story is really something.

In a similar vein 'The Mayor of Sunset Strip' is also pretty fascinating...its the story of Rodney Bingenheimer, who is an LA dj who used to be hugely successful...nowadays, not so much. Although he's not a musician, there are interview snippets with a lot of stars in this film. Rodney is sort of a 'Zelig' -type character who rubbed shoulders with a lot of the musical greats in the 70s & 80s, but these days his life seems pretty sad. A good dvd though.

Last edited:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
...I wonder how long it will for someone to make a Kurt Cobain bio-pic? I'll bet it's sooner rather than later.

Actually, there is one in the works now. Supposedly, Ewan McGregor is going to play Kurt (Courtney picked him out herself for the role).

I noticed WATTSTAX is in your list of films. Have you seen this one? If so, how do you like it? My local Wal Mart has it for $7.50 and I'm thinking about getting it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online