Films Showcasing the Music Industry

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
American Hot Wax. 1978. Excellent film about Alan Freed and the formative years of Rock & Roll. Saw it several times in the early 80's on HBO. Long out of print but hopefully to get the DVD treatment soon.

Jailhouse Rock. 1957. One of the best Elvis movies.

The Buddy Holly Story. 1980. Another good one. I've always enjoyed this one.

Get Crazy. 1981. Saw this on a crumbling old VHS tape years back. Starring Lou Reed, Howard Kaylen and Mark Volman among others. Maybe on DVD someday. Can't find an image.

A Hard Days Night is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• American Hot Wax.jpg
    American Hot Wax.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Jailhouse Rock.jpg
    Jailhouse Rock.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Buddy Holly Story.jpg
    Buddy Holly Story.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 41

Fug

Reaction score
American Hot Wax. 1978. Excellent film about Alan Freed and the formative years of Rock & Roll. Saw it several times in the early 80's on HBO. Long out of print but hopefully to get the DVD treatment soon.

Jailhouse Rock. 1957. One of the best Elvis movies.

The Buddy Holly Story. 1980. Another good one. I've always enjoyed this one.

Get Crazy. 1981. Saw this on a crumbling old VHS tape years back. Starring Lou Reed, Howard Kaylen and Mark Volman among others. Maybe on DVD someday. Can't find an image.

A Hard Days Night is one of my favorites.

American Hot Wax is a great movie! Although not completely accurate, it's still a very good movie concerning 50's rock and roll.

Fug

Reaction score
Here is a few that aren't mentioned.
Great Balls Of Fire. Jerry Lee Lewis Story. Good movie.
Deadman's Curve The Jan and Dean story (first rate)
Ray (The Ray Charlies Story)
Beyond The Sea (The Bobby Darin Story)
The T.A.M.I. Show (Teenage Awards Music International)

Filmed just eight months after The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, The T.A.M.I. Show introduced rock n soul youth culture to America in the first concert movie of the rock era. One of the rarest and most sought-after performance films from its time, the 1964 concert event featured future Rock and Roll Hall of Famers The Rolling Stones, James Brown, Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Supremes and many other American and British Invasion hitmakers in their prime. This legendary film has never been available on DVD and has not been seen in its entirety since it originally appeared in theaters in 1964. Filmed at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, October 29, 1964, performances include:
Jan & Dean- (Here They Come) From All Over The World
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode, Maybellene, Sweet Little Sixteen, Nadine (Is it You?)
Gerry And The Pacemakers- Maybellene, Dont Let The Sun Catch You Crying, Its Gonna Be Alright, How Do You Do It?, I Like It
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles- Thats What Love Is Made Of, You've Really Got a Hold on Me, Mickeys Monkey
Marvin Gaye- Stubborn Kind Of Fellow, Pride And Joy, Can I Get A Witness, Hitch Hike
Lesley Gore- Maybe I Know, You Dont Own Me, You Didnt Look Around, Hey Now, Its My Party, & Judys Turn To Cry
Jan & Dean- The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena) & Sidewalk Surfin
The Beach Boys- Surfin U.S.A., I Get Around, Surfer Girl, & Dance, Dance, Dance
Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas- Little Children, Bad To Me, I'll Keep You Satisfied, & From A Window
The Supremes- When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes, Run, Run, Run, Baby Love, & Where Did Our Love Go
The Barbarians- Hey Little Bird
James Brown & The Flames- Out Of Sight, Prisoner Of Love, Please, Please, Please, & Night Train
The Rolling Stones- Around and Around, Off The Hook, Time Is On My Side, It's All Over Now, & I'm All Right

I have this on DVD. Contact me for more info.

ecisgod

Reaction score
Buddy Holly Story
The Doors
Walk the line
No direction Home
Sid 7 Nancy
Across the Universe
Almost Famous
Spinal Tap
Hevy metal
Coal Miners Daughter
Hard Days Night
High Fidelity
Control
Ray
Blues Brothers
8 Mile
Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson
Don't look back
Gimme Shelter
********** Blues
Rude Boy
Purple Rain
Backbeat
Walk Hard

:drummin:

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
There are two really good films about JD Tracey, the documentary I posted and then another movie was made, "Control" I think it was called and Ian Curtis's wife was involved in the production as well. Sam Riley did a fantastic job playing Ian in the film.

I guess I've been too close to Joy Division for too long, because I really didn't like "Control". It was, indeed, made in conjunction with Deborah Curtis and based, in part, on her book "Touching From a Distance". But this gives a somewhat slanted, biased view of the events in the film. For instance, there is very little sympathy Annik Honoré, the woman who Curtis fell in love with in the months preceding his suicide. The three other band members are made to look like clowns (especially Barney Sumner). The movie played up the whole Ian Curtis mythology, and I think Curtis' epilepsy was blamed for a lot more in the film than probably was in reality. I'm pretty sure the band members were NOT happy with the movie, though I'm sure Deborah Curtis feels differently.

The same studio as released "Control" also put out, at the same time, a MARVELOUS documentary of the band, simply called "Joy Division". It is EVERYTHING the movie is not. Excellent production, insightful commentary by everyone directly involved with the band, from the group members themselves to David Saville (the artist responsible for their record album art) to the promoters who booked their first shows to...well, just about everyone who is still alive and wanted to talk. Bonus material on the DVD has even MORE commentary from the surviving members, and that, to me, was a real surprise, because those guys keep it pretty close to the vest. There's even a photo of Ian, Deborah and their newborn daughter. That was a real surprise, for me. Great music selection and performance footage, although, as you might expect, I would have preferred much, much more.

As a movie, on those terms, I suppose "Control" is decent enough. If you can detach yourself from the actual subject and your pre-conceived knowledge of it (correct or otherwise), or if you've just never heard of the band (or only heard the name tossed about) you might find it entertaining.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online