Films Showcasing the Music Industry

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Here's a few I enjoyed:

The Doors (thought Val Kilmer was excellent as Jim Morrison)

Cadillac Records - explores the musical era from the early 1940s to the late 1960s, chronicling the life of the influential Chicago-based record-company executive Leonard Chess, and the musicians who recorded for Chess Records like Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Etta James and Chuck Berry.

Almost Famous - fictional comedy drama about a teenage journalist writing for Rolling Stone magazine while covering a rock band Stillwater.

The Boat That Rocked - comedy set in 60's about a pirate radio ship.

Telstar - Blackly comic, music-infused biopic about the life - and tragic death - of maverick British songwriter and record producer Joe Meek.

Metallica Some Kind of Monster - music documentary about Metallica's making of their album St. Anger and the difficulties they had to go through in the process.

Walk the Line - biographical drama film based on the life of Johnny Cash

Rock Star - Lead singer of a tribute band becomes lead singer of the real rock band he idolizes

Which films do you rate?

Reaction score
Eddie and The Cruisers
Detroit Rock City
High Fidelity

hmm... I can't think of anymore right now, I used to have a whole list of them in my head:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I just watched "Hard Day's Night" about a month ago, and had a great old time, just looking at the cars and the other 60's stuff always takes me back.

For a more serious movie, I liked the 2007 film "Joy Division" documenting the rise of the band and the tragic suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis...really well done.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
The Commitments
That Thing You Do!
This Is Spinal Tap
The Temptations
La Bamba
What's Love Got To Do With It?
Bob Dylan - Don't Look Back
Purple Rain
The Buddy Holly Story

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Eddie and The Cruisers
Detroit Rock City
High Fidelity

hmm... I can't think of anymore right now, I used to have a whole list of them in my head:D

Damn, you beat me to it! :heheh:

The Smashing Pumpkins-If All Goes Wrong
smashing-pumpkins-dvd-cover.jpg

This is an awesome look at making music as your own artistic expression vs. feeding the fans exactly what they want! :grinthumb

Reaction score
Damn, you beat me to it! :heheh:

I wrote a damn report on that movie and got points taken off because it was too long... I'm using that movie for all its worth:heheh:

and I just watched it the night before last night:tongue:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
poster_across-the-universe1.jpg

^^ That one's good, lots of Beatles covers :D.

On the Beatles theme, has anyone seen "Nowhere Boy" yet? I haven't found anywhere that was screening it at an appropriate time out this way, but I really want to see it!

Also, Andy Serkis in "Sex & Drugs & Rock and Roll" is one I wanna see, about Ian Dury.

The worst film I've seen about the music industry has to be that "I'm Not There" film loosely based on Bob Dylan. Maybe it was just the hype, but that film didn't do it for me.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I forgot all about The Commitments - yeah a good film!

LG, I want to see 'Joy Division', but haven't managed to yet. And TheFeldster 'Nowhere Boy' is another I want to see when it comes out on DVD.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I liked "Crossroads" when it came out and "The Blues Brothers" do they count ?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online